xanderf

X-Wing 2nd edition announced

New damage deck will be in the new Core Set.  They did say you would need to buy a Core no matter what for Templates and Damage Deck, etc.  Does not sound like the conversion kits will have a damage deck.

9 minutes ago, Emrico said:

The physical cards still come with the ships and conversion kits, this was clearly stated.  The app is for point costs/squad building.  There won't be micro-transactions for upgrades in the app.

Jim

Overall I am optimistic and that is what I am hoping.  The small evil voice says that they will scrap a lot of upgrade cards for 2.0 and somehow work some additional cost into this.

They said that the conversion kits will have enough to run/replace XX (usually 2 ships) for that faction.  I have 5? X-wings and 8 Tie Fighters - but 1-2 of most other ships.  Many of these came from Epic Expansions, etc  and based on the twitch stream... I may have to wait awhile to pay more to field those extra fighters/upgrades. 

How many of the existing upgrade cards  will I need to equip a squadron, or I should ask, require how multiple 50$ conversions? 

Maybe cautiously optimistic is the better word.  At 200pts they could be pricing things for squads of 1-5 or 3-10 ships, who knows at this point :P.

Edited by Cr0aker

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

• Bullseye fire arcs on ?most? ships?  All ships?  Looked common.  (EDIT: confirmed from Q&A, bullseye on every ship)

This is upsetting to me right now - I just bought the Kimogila Fighter because I wanted that specific option for a couple of fighters. I could have saved my money :(

5 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

So I will need 2 or 3 OF EACH FACTION UPDATE BOX AT $50 EACH to keep playing this game in the way to which I am accustomed??

HA HA HA!!!

Kiss my grits.  Darth Meanie, over and out.

Out of curiosity, where do you need 3 (outside of epic)?  Most ships look to have about half of a lists worth of ships supported, so 2 should cover a full list of most ships.

Edited by VanderLegion

not happy with only 3 a-wings in the new conversion... but we will see what happens.

interesting that new triology ships are not compatible at first... hopefully they come out with that sooner than later (ie 1-2 months for wave 2) or else a lot of peeps will be upset. Maybe I will finally get my RZ2 A-Wing when that wave rolls around!

Maybe Leia will have a decent ability! Maybe even a pilot?!

**** I'm so excited. I need more now!

2 minutes ago, Cr0aker said:

Overall I am optimistic and that is what I am hoping.  The small evil voice says that they will scrap a lot of upgrade cards for 2.0 and somehow work some additional cost into this.

They said that the conversion kits will have enough to run/replace XX (usually 2 ships) for that faction.  I have 5? X-wings and 8 Tie Fighters - but 1-2 of most other ships.  Many of these came from Epic Expansions, etc  and based on the twitch stream... I may have to wait awhile to pay more to field those extra fighters.  How many of those upgrade cards will require multiple 50$ conversions to equip a squadron? 

Maybe cautiously optimistic is the better word.  At 200pts they could be pricing things for squads of 1-5 or 3-10 ships, who knows at this point :P.

I bought 100 points of every ship and sometimes more.  I consider the conversion kits a great deal even if I have to buy multiples rather than having to rebuy every ship expansion I own.  I also figure that the online discounters will have the conversion kits for $35-$40 instead of $50, so that would save some money too.

Jim

Overall I think the changes are good, even if it's going to kick me in the just for 6 conversion kits @ $50. each and hopefully lower costed kits for Resistance & First order. Start saving now! 

As an old school gamer, I'm not a big fan of only getting squad points on an app - I play miniature and board games to get away from computers for a while. That said, I use squad builders so end result is the same I suppose. 

18 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

I'm still bummed that the conversion kits just won't suit me (ME!) and everything new will be incompatible with all my old not-ship stuff AND digital screen reliances...  But... but... boost and reinforce on the Firespray...  goodbye VI.... Force powers.... Vader is gonna be so good!!

I'm just really confused about my feelings right now.

Do you use a squad builder now? Then there's no difference. (Assuming the FFG app/webapp don't  suck, which I'll grant is not a trivial assumption. Though I imagine if they do we'll see continued support on a lot of our existing third party builders.)

If you're not using a squad builder now, just adding the points up manually, you'll need to print off the reference sheet that says what everything costs in the current release. But aside from going online to get that pdf every month or so, you won't need to rely on a screen.

2 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

Do you use a squad builder now? Then there's no difference. (Assuming the FFG app/webapp don't  suck, which I'll grant is not a trivial assumption. Though I imagine if they do we'll see continued support on a lot of our existing third party builders.)

If you're not using a squad builder now, just adding the points up manually, you'll need to print off the reference sheet that says what everything costs in the current release. But aside from going online to get that pdf every month or so, you won't need to rely on a screen.

Will be interesting to see how many third party builders stick around past 2.0.  I fully intend to retire Aurora after 2.0 releases unless the official builder is terrible.

Anyone know if the basic tie fighter model is a new sculpt? I was kind of bummed at the quality of the original ones, and the FO ones were much sharper/better painted. I think a lot of the original or classic ships from a new hope coulda used new sculpts.

1 minute ago, DariusAPB said:

That looks like a new re-done TIE Advanced too? or am I imagining it.

My big question is can I use my old templates. I mean I get that damage decks are obsolete, but i liked having 4+ sets of templates.

It's impossible to be sure, but it looks like the templates are the same except for the addition of the central line for easier overlap resolution.

I'm of two minds about this. Some of the changes sound good, but I don't think they've gone far enough for a 2.0, considering the huge cost of buying in. Getting the conversion kits will net me (possibly many others too) a whole heap of useless stuff while not providing enough for the ships we do have. Two X-wings only. That's not even a full point squad, and indeed it doesn't look like they provide enough for any full squad of the same ship. And that's just talking about the dials and bases. What upgrade cards will be provided and more importantly how many? Unique cards are easy to replace, but what about if you have 4 Rookie Pilots, is the pack going to come with 4 Rookie Pilot cards to match that?

I actually don't mind spending $100 to get into 2.0, but that's not going to be the reality. It's going to be more (I'll need at least 2 of each Rebel and Imperial packs) or a matter of finding required items on the secondary market (hey, looking on the bright side, the secondary market is going to flourish with this). It's more affordable to just buy the new stuff, especially if the new models are articulated.

Anyhow, I don't much like the new card design either, sorry to say. There's so much empty space. I adore the artwork, and wished they moved more towards the direction of the alt cards with more art, not less.

On a positive note, that the ST stuff is split from the OT stuff is the best bit of news for me. {please do this for Armada FFG!}