xanderf

X-Wing 2nd edition announced

20 minutes ago, dadocollin said:

Three things:

1. I admit I'm surprised they did this, but it's just another sign they're really listening to all the meta complaints.  They're changing a LOT, however, about the game.  How balanced can 2.0 really be out of the gate?

2. I'm not thrilled at having to have an app to play the game.  One thing I like about board/miniatures games is being able to put down my phone.  It does solve some issues and gives a sanctioned squad builder, I get that, but I work with technology all day.  I want to play with plastic minis and cards.

3. As I read through all the changes, I'm sure I'll come around.  I generally like change in the game.  But it's going to cost $190 just to buy in to 2.0, which stinks.  I know there's no way around this - they can't give the conversion kits away and it's nice they're making them. But it still stinks.

You need the app to build, not to play. :)

Having different icons for front and rear arcs makes me wonder if they might do a ship with different attack ratings for its front and rear attacks.

EDIT: And what's that on Ten Nunb's Focus action?  Can he spend a Focus to perform a Barrel Roll?

Edited by DailyRich

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

Because ofc, EVERYONE cares about competitive balance...

Exactly.

"Yeah, you guys that love Epic.  Just keep playing, we might give a **** later."

I think the game might have just died for me.  It's never been a game set in the Star Wars universe.  It's always been a sporting event micromanaged around points.

I hope that folks like @voidstate might keep an x-wing app up for us old-timers.

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

Having different icons for front and rear arcs makes me wonder if they might do a ship with different attack ratings for its front and rear attacks.

I think this is likely. We just need to see one of the stats for the multi arc ships. 

EDIT: Nevermind, there's the Firespray stats. Confirmed. 

Edited by Sithborg

2 minutes ago, dadocollin said:

That did occur to me - just to build and maybe check points during the game (if you don't print lists).  If it's truly going to be free, this will be a positive addition.

It also effectively kills third party squad building apps.  I mean, you could still make one, but why?

Edited by DailyRich

Just now, Sithborg said:

I think this is likely. We just need to see one of the stats for the multi arc ships. 

Look up. Firespray shows it has different icons for front attacks and rear attacks, though I suspect in it's case the value is the same. 

1 minute ago, UnitOmega said:

Look up. Firespray shows it has different icons for front attacks and rear attacks, though I suspect in it's case the value is the same. 

Still that opens up a ton of design space.  Ships that may not have gotten a rear arc in 1.0 because their attack value would be too great might get one now.  And you don't need some elaborate "Reduce your attack by X dice if firing from your rear arc."  It's just another stat now.

1 minute ago, DailyRich said:

Still that opens up a ton of design space.  Ships that may not have gotten a rear arc in 1.0 because their attack value would be too great might get one now.  And you don't need some elaborate "Reduce your attack by X dice if firing from your rear arc."  It's just another stat now.

And given the 8 quadrants of possibilities, a lot of interesting design space. 

6 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

EDIT: And what's that on Ten Nunb's Focus action?  Can he spend a Focus to perform a Barrel Roll?

I believe those are the 'chained actions' they mentioned, or whatever the term was. PtL as a card is gone but the concept lives in at the pilot and ship level. Based on stuff they said I believe what that Ten Numb card is saying is "after you take the focus action, you make perform a barrel roll and take a stress".

3 minutes ago, Otacon said:

I believe those are the 'chained actions' they mentioned, or whatever the term was. PtL as a card is gone but the concept lives in at the pilot and ship level. Based on stuff they said I believe what that Ten Numb card is saying is "after you take the focus action, you make perform a barrel roll and take a stress".

Oooh, and thus the action is red.  That's brilliant.

10 minutes ago, nexttwelveexits said:

swz01_a2_cardfan2.png

Firesprays get red Reinforce? Jumpmaster barrel rolls are now red?

I... I just can't. These changes make too much sense.

And there it is - New pilot probably only available in the 2.0 ship blister pack.  Buy conversion kits AND new ship packs everyone!