xanderf

X-Wing 2nd edition announced

You didn't lose PS, you lost initiative. 

You know, one thing I am going to love, is how likely it will be, years after the release, and the streamers will still be using 1.0 terminology. 

There are some great, and interesting changes that I have seen. Red and linked actions is kind of brilliant, especially since PTL is gone. 

1 minute ago, Rakaydos said:

Everyone lost 3 PS. I havnt seen any PS above 6.

They capped the PS at 6.  And it's a true cap - VI is gone.  "There is no card to permanently raise your pilot skill"  Although it sounds like some upgrades or abilities may temporarily do so.

24 minutes ago, Djaskim609 said:

50 bucks for each faction conversion kit---FU FFG. This really sucks--I built my collection over time and now I have to shell out this much effing cash?

I feel you, I've invested around 1200$ in this game, and even though I get the needed changes, it still sucks to be punished that I joined a game that had design flaws. Let's make that clear a lot of flows were placed intentionally, so FFG will sell more new expansions like Jumpmaster (everybody was spending 100$ on a single ship release), Imperial Veterans, the Harpoon Missiles expansion and so on.  
I was barely playing the game and not I have to cough another 150 bucks to activate my ships from all factions(if I got it right there will be 5 fractions, so 5x50 bucks=250), so I was thinking selling out and quitting the game but now most of my stuff is worthless if I don't spend 150 or 250$. 
In the end, I understand that all these changes were overdue, but I don't see why we would be punished for FFG mistakes. I want to say that I'm excited, but I feel more betrayed and frustrated. 

Just now, mitrandil said:

I feel you, I've invested around 1200$ in this game, and even though I get the needed changes, it still sucks to be punished that I joined a game that had design flaws. Let's make that clear a lot of flows were placed intentionally, so FFG will sell more new expansions like Jumpmaster (everybody was spending 100$ on a single ship release), Imperial Veterans, the Harpoon Missiles expansion and so on.  
I was barely playing the game and not I have to cough another 150 bucks to activate my ships from all factions(if I got it right there will be 5 fractions, so 5x50 bucks=250), so I was thinking selling out and quitting the game but now most of my stuff is worthless if I don't spend 150 or 250$. 
In the end, I understand that all these changes were overdue, but I don't see why we would be punished for FFG mistakes. I want to say that I'm excited, but I feel more betrayed and frustrated. 

I imagine the Resistance and First Order conversions will be cheaper, or combined into one package. 

4 minutes ago, dadocollin said:

Three things:

I don‘t understand this line of thinking.

What is the alternative in your opinion? They can‘t go one with 1.0, so what else should they do? And how are you to reuse your ships without conversion kits?! And how much are you willing to pay?

As for the app: they provide quick build lists. Everyone, and I mean figuratively everyone, used squadbuilders. An official one with flexible point cost is a great improvement

Or I should have kept reading the FAQ:

What is happening with the Resistance and First Order ships from the game’s first edition?

Rather than remain as sub-factions of the Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire, the Resistance and the First Order are being expanded into their own fully-fledged factions for X-Wing Second Edition. They will not be included in the Rebel and Imperial conversion kits. Instead, both factions will have their own conversion kits when they are reintroduced to the game during the second wave of expansions.

5 minutes ago, xanderf said:

They capped the PS at 6.  And it's a true cap - VI is gone.  "There is no card to permanently raise your pilot skill"  Although it sounds like some upgrades or abilities may temporarily do so.

Good. This will speed up play (especially for larger games.)

What a bold move IMO, from a company that usually seems to shy from doing new editions.  

My my only real hope/complaint from x wing is that way low attack ships are useless.  A awing should do less damage than an x wing, but the way the mechanics work now the a wing, y wing, tie fighter,  z 95, etc.. are basically incapable of damaging  a huge swathe of ships.  It doesn’t look like that’s changed, alas.  I was hoping it would work more like Legion, where you roll a number of defense dice equal to hits, with ships having more effective defense dice.  

1 minute ago, Sithborg said:

I imagine the Resistance and First Order conversions will be cheaper, or combined into one package. 

I don't argue that, but even so, we still have to pay 150-200 at the minimum to be able to play the game like we used to. It sucks for people like me that are casual and don't care about competitive play. For the latter, this might be very exciting cause they spend 100$ (adding travel and accommodations is well above that) just to play on a single event.

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

I don‘t understand this line of thinking.

What is the alternative in your opinion? They can‘t go one with 1.0, so what else should they do? And how are you to reuse your ships without conversion kits?! And how much are you willing to pay?

As for the app: they provide quick build lists. Everyone, and I mean figuratively everyone, used squadbuilders. An official one with flexible point cost is a great improvement

We can disagree on whether or not they could go on with 1.0.  Companies like D&D and Pathfinder were (generally) forced into new editions to compete with each other or make a money grab because the game was failing financially.  I haven't seen any indication the game was failing financially.  If your argument is the game was broken, they have fixed that with FAQs, which will happen more frequently in the software model now.

I'm happy they're providing conversion kits.  But at a minimum to get all your ships to 2.0 you need $150 worth of kits and probably a new starter for any changed things there (so $190).  This is essentially money just to get me back to where I am today.  I don't get new ships or anything really.  It's money right in FFG's pocket.  It's literally the price of change, I get it.

I also get everyone uses a squad builder.  It's a nice option if it's truly free.  This was more of an "old man" gripe.  I suppose you only really need the app to build the list and check points for scoring and things.

2 minutes ago, 48kilos said:

This is a full on money grab!!!

Sell me a game, change the rules, then sell me the new rules....  I am so pissed off! 

2nd editions happen sometimes, welcome to tabletop gaming. X-wing is 6 years old and was definitely getting a bit long in the tooth, there's only so much errata and constant 'ship fix' packs can do to keep everything together. That they went 6 years before hitting the reset button is already kinda nuts.

31 minutes ago, Favoritism Flight Games said:

You don't have to do anything. You can keep playing 1.0 just fine, no one's holding a gun to your head- especially if you play at home mostly.

I'm still running Descent 1st ed. at home because 2nd ed. is a much more shorter/faster game and I enjoy the longer version.

It is unlikely though, past Wave 14, that we will see much more content produced for the 1st edition X-Wing, which will impact home game peeps. Have to break out card makers and community ideas for new pilots.

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

there are  A LOT of ps 5s

swz07_a1_cardfan.png

They said in the stream, PS, now called Initiative (1.0 Initiative is now just referred to as First Player), now goes from 1-6 instead of 1-9. Also, VI is dead. So there's that too.