xanderf

X-Wing 2nd edition announced

37 minutes ago, Wibs said:

They look rather different from anything I had seen before. Probably some FFG-sleeve size :D Regardless, I really don't like the new size - it's too big

hmmm - the page says the new core set needs Gray and Yellow sleeves, while the expansions need just Gray:

FS01 Mini American 1 5/8 X 2 1/2 IN 41 X 63 MM Yellow
FFS05 Standard Card Game 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 IN 63.5 X 88 MM Gray

How do you know it is "re-balanced and streanlined"? I am quite sceptical that after a year there will be some broken NPE combinations. Good, that they can fix that in the builder quickly.

I think you are mistaken about the "nothing new". For me the line "In addition, the T-65 X-Wing Expansion Pack contains a few entirely new cards that have never before appeared in the game's first edition" line indicates there will be new upgrades not present in the Conversion kit.

Well something that happened with Warmachine during its 2 transistions between editions, the releases prior to the announcement were frequently broken (in both directions), because why spend tons of time getting the balance right when just around the corner it’s all going to change?

5 hours ago, Wibs said:

How do you know it is "re-balanced and streanlined"? I am quite sceptical that after a year there will be some broken NPE combinations. Good, that they can fix that in the builder quickly.

If there is something broken they can tweak it on the fly.  They will be active with the nerf hammer pretty steady.  If something is bad in a year, it won't last that long.  Why the concern?

12 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

The one thing I’m bothered by is making the upgrade cards bigger. I liked the mini card size. It reduced table clutter and made the pilot v upgrade cards distinctive. 

Everything else looks great though. 

My biggest complaint as well.  I liked the size of the upgrade cards we have now.  Why change them for no apparent benefit?  Everything else looks solid though.

6 hours ago, Wibs said:

They look rather different from anything I had seen before. Probably some FFG-sleeve size :D Regardless, I really don't like the new size - it's too big

hmmm - the page says the new core set needs Gray and Yellow sleeves, while the expansions need just Gray:

FS01 Mini American 1 5/8 X 2 1/2 IN 41 X 63 MM Yellow
FFS05 Standard Card Game 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 IN 63.5 X 88 MM Gray

The upgrade cards are the standard sized cards, horizontal orientation. The conversion kits state you need 5 packs of the Gray sleeves and the core needs 1 gray and 1 yellow.

8 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

My biggest complaint as well.  I liked the size of the upgrade cards we have now.  Why change them for no apparent benefit?  Everything else looks solid though.

Not to mention I have probably 1000 mini card sleeves and will have to buy new full size sleeves. 

6 hours ago, StevenO said:

Downloads don't always work.

It only needs to work for you once per update.  If your home and work internet connections are so bad that you cannot successfully download a (presumably) .pdf file every month or so (which is only required if you want to play competitively) then you must miss out on so much more of modern life (like posting on forums).

I appreciate you might not be able to stream Netflix at 4K but the benefits of an official squad building app that can be used to balance the game FAR outweigh any (surely minor) inconvenience it might bring to a small portion of people. 

The price point really isn't that bad. $50 for each conversion kit? That's the cost of roughly 3 ships. Only you're getting over 30 ships' worth of material (just not the miniatures).
I understand the frustration for those who have large collections, but frankly, FFG was between a rock and a hard place here. And they do need to pay back their considerable development costs for all those conversions.

I'm glad I don't have to buy conversion kits on a per-ship basis. A one-time cost to upgrade all my ships to the new system? Awesome. Even better that I won't have to keep track of reams of errata (well, at least to start)

there is reverse maneuver in one of those maneuver templates.

Yes, yes there is. 

A lot of people are hoping that is the new hawk dial. Others have pointed out that, except for the reverse, it is identical to the sheathipede dial.