xanderf

X-Wing 2nd edition announced

39 minutes ago, baxio said:

So looking at least £183.35 to convert my existing collection to 2.0 (assuming the Resistance and First Order conversion kits costs the same), and I'll need a few extra bits and pieces where I have more than the amount provided in the conversion kits. Not to mention all the storage I'll need for the new cards, bases tokens etc. plus now it needs an app and I just know they won't make one for Windows phone.

Why do you only see your customers as cash machines to be milked FFG? This is a lot of money to some people, and I think you are going to loose a lot of customers with families where money is tight and they may have been able to afford a new wave every few months, but this is going to be too much.

A new wave is ~$50 for one of everything depending on the exact number of ships, and it's not coming out until September. 4 months to start saving.

Just now, ficklegreendice said:

Well Saws comes with 2.0 stuff

I missed the whole "needing the new core" though. Have the templates changed? Do we NEED the new deck?

I remember everyone flipping their **** about the ep 7 core...

From what we've seen so far, the only thing you will NEED from the new core is the damage deck. The templates just have a new line on them (to make bumps easier to work out), no new moves that we can see (no 4 bank or anything)

1 minute ago, InterceptorMad said:

From what we've seen so far, the only thing you will NEED from the new core is the damage deck. The templates just have a new line on them (to make bumps easier to work out), no new moves that we can see (no 4 bank or anything)

Think they'll back off on needing the new deck like they did last time ?

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 minute ago, InterceptorMad said:

You do know those are still by choice though right? Yes you can just play 1st ed. But, you could also convert 1 faction/list at a time. Play rebels for a bit only, get used to 2nd ed. If you like it, move onto imps, convert them, play for a bit more, and so on.

You don't NEEEEEED to spend $300+ right away. How many games are you playing per month and how many diff lists in the diff factions are those games?

Actually, I would need that. As I said in my first post my wife and I play. We play each other for 90% of our total games. She only plays Rebels, I play Imp and Scum. Even cutting down to just two factions means 250.00 USD since I would only need one conversion kit for Scum. 250.00 USD plus tax for an edition change is mind boggling.

I've played Warhammer 40k with several armies. I'm used to sticker shock with hobby price points. But not even Games Workshop required you to pay for anything other than the core rule book and your army book when it changes editions. I didn't think another company could be more greedy than Games Workshop when it comes to treating their customers...

I have spent at least $1,000 on this game over the last three years and now I have to spend a minimum of $150  in upgrades plus probably a core set at $39... Not to mention all the alt cards and templates I acquired either by buying or winning in competitions...? I am sooo disappointed.

I’m brand new to X-Wing and have dropped lots of money (very happily) since Christmas building a stupidly large fleet of ships that I mostly haven’t even put in a game yet.  I’m feeling pretty miffed.  They could introduce an app to correct card prices and pilot skills without selling you $50 worth of “new” maneuver dials you don’t want that are missing enough copies of the ones you need.  And I don’t really want to buy a new box starter set.

Looks like I will continue playing 1.0 at home with my friends.

So I know the conversion kits are supposed to contain all the 2.0 content... I’m presuming this means the entire catalogue of new upgrade cards, minus any upgrades that are specific to other factions. Is that what others have taken from what’s been stated so far?

2 minutes ago, JLank said:

So I know the conversion kits are supposed to contain all the 2.0 content... I’m presuming this means the entire catalogue of new upgrade cards, minus any upgrades that are specific to other factions. Is that what others have taken from what’s been stated so far?

Until we actually see the full list of contents we can’t know.  But it seems highly unlikely that they will suddenly ditch the model of making you buy sets you don’t want or need just to get cards.  So the idea that the conversion kit will have all the cards in it seems pretty far fetched to me.

As to FFG being greedy, I kinda get that remark. But, they are a business and a business is not a charity. I am sure they realized this would tick some people off and took that into account. I am also sure that years down the road, when this change is looked at, it will be viewed as the correct move for the overall health of the game. Someone who is totally new to the game will have no problem with getting 2.0 and I am sure this announcement will draw in a lot of people that will offset those who don't continue (you already bought stuff anyways). I may not even get back into X-Wing but this was the right move imo.

Edited by LifeGain

1 hour ago, nexttwelveexits said:

swz01_a2_cardfan2.png

Firesprays get red Reinforce? Jumpmaster barrel rolls are now red?

I... I just can't. These changes make too much sense.

Interesting. Dengar can only chain into a mobile arc move, and it will always induce stress to do so. There's no white arc-move action there.

Also curious as to just what that first action is on IG-88A's card, as that's brand new.

Overall, 2.0 vastly increases their design space, in any case.

1 minute ago, Freeptop said:

Interesting. Dengar can only chain into a mobile arc move, and it will always induce stress to do so. There's no white arc-move action there.

Also curious as to just what that first action is on IG-88A's card, as that's brand new.

It says "calculate token", so Calculate Action? 

2 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

IG88's ability refers to "calculate" tokens, so I assume it's related. What if it's a token version of Poe's ability?

April fools was LAST month ffg....

*ahem*

In all seriousness, this could either rebirth the game anew or completely kill it. Eager for more details, also they better not expect you to only use the app to listbuild because not everyone has a smart phone/tablet (few people i regularly play with dont)

I imagine the bullseye isnt the same bullseye we have now. It would be kinda broken if literally everything had it, its probably an offensive thing like a possible change in the R1 mechanic to be "In Bullseye"

13 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I missed the whole "needing the new core" though. Have the templates changed? Do we NEED the new deck?

I remember everyone flipping their **** about the ep 7 core...

I can’t find anything definitively but the marketing speak around the conversion kits is very specific - “everything you need to bring your models into the new game,” not “Everything you need to *play* the new game.

We are scarce in a lot of really relevant details right now and I suspect that as these come out we will all be quoting Lando: “this deal is getting worse all the time”

People keep forgetting to mention that the required app means that the second Disney pulls the plug the whole game is gone.  I’m not staring at $300 of my kids  Infinity figures while I type this...

The kits are quite a sticking point I feel. The numbers don't make sense to me.

I feel pretty sure that taking a lot of the large ships down to 1 in exchange for 3 of more of the small ships would please more people. 

I know I'm far more likely to run 3 X Wings, Starvipers or Defenders than I am 2 Falcons, Lambdas or YV666s....

Not sure I can really get onboard with the suggestion to "just play 1.0 then". The reason I've stopped playing is because 1.0 isn't good. That's the whole point of why we wanted 2.0!

10 minutes ago, BigBadAndy said:

Until we actually see the full list of contents we can’t know.  But it seems highly unlikely that they will suddenly ditch the model of making you buy sets you don’t want or need just to get cards.  So the idea that the conversion kit will have all the cards in it seems pretty far fetched to me.

The conversion kit descriptions state they come with over one hundred upgrade cards.

Jim

7 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

April fools was LAST month ffg....

*ahem*

In all seriousness, this could either rebirth the game anew or completely kill it. Eager for more details, also they better not expect you to only use the app to listbuild because not everyone has a smart phone/tablet (few people i regularly play with dont)

I imagine the bullseye isnt the same bullseye we have now. It would be kinda broken if literally everything had it, its probably an offensive thing like a possible change in the R1 mechanic to be "In Bullseye"

Or just keep it in basically the same place. Who knows? ^^