xanderf

X-Wing 2nd edition announced

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/1/x-wing-second-edition/

EDIT: Highlights

• Bullseye fire arcs on ?most? ships?  All ships?  Looked common.  (EDIT: confirmed from Q&A, bullseye on every ship)
  • New maneuver dials with more options taking into account the latest wave's new maneuvers to early wave ships
  • Mobile turrets for 360 arcs - although kinda different than the Shadowcaster turret (looks like it selects two arcs at once?)
  • Force powers added to pilot's that have Force abilities, which can do...something
  • Changes to how actions work...in some way, undefined (EDIT: from Q&A, changes to  barrel roll and boost, changes to blocking)
  • Faction identities re-thought from ground up.  First Order and Resistance will be distinct factions, so it's now a 5-faction game.
  • No point costs on cards, pilots, nor upgrade icons on pilot cards - all this done in their new free app, so can be re-balanced tuned by the OP group over time
  • Medium ship bases, which the conversion kits include
  • Did I mention conversion kits?  They have conversion kits.

"At a high level, a lot of changes were about getting back to the basics - flying your ships"  Focusing more on action economy.  PtL one of the most important cards in first edition - it's gone.  Now a lot of ships have "linked actions"...not all ships, but many do.  Ships will have two action bars with one action linking to another, frequently with the other action red.

Edited by xanderf

1 minute ago, Otacon said:

Points cost/upgrade types handled through the app rather than being printed on the cards. No more not being able to errata point costs and upgrade slots, thank god.

Yeah, but...means the app is required.

I mean...I dunno what I feel about that.  I guess we all use squad builders, already, so...

Still

Just now, RunnerAZ said:

How many am I going to have to buy. 

There's one for each faction, they said there's ~90 cards and enough bases to field ~40 ships in each, so unless you have over 40 ships per faction, you should be ok?

3 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

Is this a joke?

It isn't.  Big reboot.  Highlights are:

• Bullseye fire arcs on ?most? ships?  All ships?  Looked common.  (EDIT: confirmed from Q&A, bullseye on every ship)
  • New maneuver dials with more options taking into account the latest wave's new maneuvers to early wave ships
  • Mobile turrets for 360 arcs - although kinda different than the Shadowcaster turret (looks like it selects two arcs at once?)
  • Force powers added to pilot's that have Force abilities, which can do...something
  • Changes to how actions work...in some way, undefined (EDIT: from Q&A, changes to  barrel roll and boost, changes to blocking)
  • Faction identities re-thought from ground up.  First Order and Resistance will be distinct factions, so it's now a 5-faction game.
  • No point costs on cards, pilots, nor upgrade icons on pilot cards - all this done in their new free app, so can be re-balanced tuned by the OP group over time

"At a high level, a lot of changes were about getting back to the basics - flying your ships"  Focusing more on action economy.  PtL one of the most important cards in first edition - it's gone.  Now a lot of ships have "linked actions"...not all ships, but many do.  Ships will have two action bars with one action linking to another, frequently with the other action red.

Edited by xanderf

Just now, Ken on Cape said:

They said all upgrades will be with the free app. No more upgrade cards. 

Calling it, the free app will have microtransactions to buy the upgrades. 

No, they said the upgrade slots and point costs for everything will be in the app. The cards are still cards, they just don't have costs on them.

1 minute ago, xanderf said:

• Bullseye fire arcs on ?most? ships?  All ships?  Looked common.
  • Changes to how actions work...in some way, undefined

Adding to this: green maneuvers are now blue maneuvers, as a consideration for colorblind players.

Just now, xanderf said:

• Bullseye fire arcs on ?most? ships?  All ships?  Looked common.
  • Changes to how actions work...in some way, undefined

I smell troll

no way FFG actually does the right thing to make the game amazing and maneuver-focused

this is all just an elaborate hoax to make me the happiest man alive

1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

wow they're actually taking a page from Privateer Press?

this is sweet

wonder how the packs they're just releasing are going to integrate with this, though

They said Wave 14 will have components for both 1.0 and 2.0 in the box.

1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

I smell troll

no way FFG actually does the right thing to make the game amazing and maneuver-focused

this is all just an elaborate hoax to make me the happiest man alive

There's a twitch stream going on right now. Check it out :)