Jake the Hutt

Jake's Legion stuff

(Update- More photos later in the thread!)

I made a deal with a friend. He'd buy Legion, I'd paint it and We'd play together. So far so good! I'm not a fast painter, and i'm not a particularly good one, but I'm pretty happy with how my first squad of Rebels came out (although I still haven't decided what to do with their guns and have just left them black for now).

Rebels-001.jpg

My first At-Rt.I butchered the pilots face pretty bad!

ATRT-Flame-Thrower.jpg

My first Storm Troop, testing it out. I think it looks pretty good. I'll wait till the squad is done to do their bases.

ST-1.jpg

Storm Trooper vs Rebels!

001.jpg

Edited by Jake the Hutt

Thanks! I don't think I did anything special with the Storm Trooper. I was looking for a way to paint him fats, since I'm a slow painter and painting white is always really time consuming for me. So I used a medium gray spray primer,a wash over the helmet and a few other spots, a quick black coat on the gun, eyes, gloves, armpits, etc and then just a light bluish gray (Citadel Ulthan Gray) followed by a very light white coat and some stark highlights.  I'm actually surprised it turned out as clean as it did. I think I may have gotten lucky.

1 hour ago, Jake the Hutt said:

... I'm actually surprised it turned out as clean as it did. I think I may have gotten lucky.

Now you just need that luck another 13 times (and with that number, why wouldn't you??) 

:D

Totally agree, the Stormie looks great! 

- - - - - 

I really like the yellow sleeve-stripe on your Rebels too!! 

The yellow stripes on the jacket arms is an awesome idea. I have been wanting to paint my rebels in a greyish blue , rogue one, look but kept feeling something was missing. I hope you dont mind if I barrow that stripe idea. I will certainly let people know where and who I got the idea from.

4 hours ago, MechaLucha said:

The yellow stripes on the jacket arms is an awesome idea. I have been wanting to paint my rebels in a greyish blue , rogue one, look but kept feeling something was missing. I hope you dont mind if I barrow that stripe idea. I will certainly let people know where and who I got the idea from.

Thanks. I feel like stripes on clothing is a pretty longstanding Star wars tradition, so I shouldn't try to claim it as my own idea.

I plan on doing different color strips for different squads. This is Gold squad. 

5 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Good stuff! I totally stole that little stripe you put on the footrest wing of the AT-RT. For the guns, I just gave a light drybrushing of gunmetal.

Thanks. I might try a drybrush for the guns. I was thinking that they're detail was too soft for that to really work well, but if you tried it and were happy with the result than I might give it a try too.

1 minute ago, Jorge69 said:

I love how smooth the painting for the stormtrooper is! Did you use a wet palette? Did you thin your paints as well?

Thanks!

Thanks. I didn't use a wet palette, but I did apply several thin, watered down layers of both Ulthan Gray and White.

More stuff! I finished my first squad of Stormtroopers. I think they look okay, although some came out better than others.

imperial-001.jpg

They were fun to paint, but... I'm not super excited about doing 3 more squads!

I decided to tackle Vadar next. I went with some super subtle highlights (which I think look better in person), and then decided to do a gloss finish over his helmet and chest armor. I thought it would look both good and accurate, since his helmet is very shiny in the movies... but honestly I don't think it looks so great. I'm pretty disappointed. Luckily we got two sets, so I can take another stab at Vadar later.

vadar-01.jpg

I didn't bother painting the MPL-57 Rebel when I did my first squad, since I figured I probably wouldn't use it for my first few games. But since I painted the Stormtrooper's HH-12 I thought I might as well. I have a feeling I'll be facing an AT-ST soon (since there's one sitting here waiting for paint).

rebels-002.jpg

I think this one turned out pretty well, although she(?) was a weird dent in her nose. Also, I wish I could paint faces better.

And one last pic...

002.jpg

More stuff. We took a long break from Legion over the Fall and Winter because of work, but we're playing again, and I've even had a chance to paint a little more! 

Here's my second Rebel squad. Just like the first squad I added stripes to their jackets so I could easily tell them apart, so this is "Red Squad". I got a hold of some extra alien heads, so red Squad has a Duros, Sulstan, Bith, Chiss and Moncalmari in addition to a few humans. I'm actually not to happy with how these turned out. I'm a little out of practice and  I really needed a new brush. but they're good enough, I guess.

624865949_red1.jpg.c123cdf209cab73c2404a77c7e6dafc3.jpg1686646923_red2.jpg.7bb98cba07f8b2ee4b1f93462b05959d.jpg2041600332_red3.jpg.8b4b276b8a9f23304828e1b8191bf47b.jpg

I'm happier with how Hera turned out. I was worried she'd be too short, but she fits in just fine with the Legion models (if you keep in mind that Hera is REALLY small in Rebels). I kept her on her Imperial Assault base because I was worried about cutting off her feet, and simply glued that base to a standard Legion base. It looks a little weird, but I'm not too worried about it. Hera will be my Rebel Officer whenever I decide a unite needs one. Unlike Red Squad, I'm pretty pleased with Hera's paint job.

849576207_red4.jpg.05a889afe1fe1253be387d93046653a3.jpg895049769_red7.jpg.08ac776a994a40cf26f0b039ee4ccdaf.jpg