Sign in to follow this  
Sasajak

Optimised Advanceds

I’ve been wondering about Optimised Prototype on the TIE Advanced.  It seems to pair well with Advanced Targetting Computer where you may not have dice mods so you can keep that crit.  Plus it bumps up the Advanceds shields to 3 making it very tanky (equal to a Defender).  Vader is powerful already and the obvious choice but what about on Maarek Stele - he wants to get that crit on a ship and spending a die to remove a shield may help.  Also what about Lt Colzet?  He needs a damage card on his locked target so maybe removing that shield may help to push a damage onto the ship.

27 minutes ago, Lord Dust said:

My biggest question is when is the shield removed? 

During the attacker's modify dice results,  the compare results, or deal damage step? 

Step 3 I imagine? Attacker rolls Dice, defender modifies them, then attacker modifies, including the possibility of spending one. Then defender rolls defence die. 

34 minutes ago, Lord Dust said:

During the attacker's modify dice results,  the compare results, or deal damage step? 

Attacker modifies attack dice step.  Say I'm in a TIE Adv. attacking a X-Wing at R1.  I roll Hit, Hit, Blank.  During my modify step; I add my crit using ATC and then spend the blank to knock off one of the X-Wing's shields.  He then rolls his defence dice as normal.  If I'm lucky, he might fluff the roll and the crit will punch through to the hull.

19 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Attacker modifies attack dice step.  Say I'm in a TIE Adv. attacking a X-Wing at R1.  I roll Hit, Hit, Blank.  During my modify step; I add my crit using ATC and then spend the blank to knock off one of the X-Wing's shields.  He then rolls his defence dice as normal.  If I'm lucky, he might fluff the roll and the crit will punch through to the hull.

Thank you. Now to find the best pilot for the job.

1 hour ago, Lord Dust said:

Per th BSF rules where the Spend a Result rule was introduced, it's during the relevant Modify Dice step, but it is not considered a modification.

29 minutes ago, Lord Dust said:

Thank you. Now to find the best pilot for the job.

Done. Rexler Brath. Predator. TIE/x7

Why?

1. Good base ship, expensive, worth keeping alive

2. Extra Hull/Shield is most effective on 3 Agility ships

3. Needs focus to trigger ability. Predator to re-roll misses. Then if you roll a focus, you can spend the token it to gain hits, or discard the dice to damage shield-> keeping the focus for your ability

4. Ability likes pushing damage to hull

Edited by Divad

17 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Just a thought: Can I first trigger krennic, then accuracy corrector?

They're in the same window so I believe you get to choose the order to resolve them. 

I`ve actually tried optimised vader when the first half of the card was originally shown (so without the target lock gaining bit). Its surprisingly nasty in combo with advanced targeting computers because it gives the advanced something to do with the blanks (as they won`t be used for rerolls). Can very definately see RAC/Vader being a big thing as Krennic will give the deci free target locks as well. Frankly, Krennic was certainly worth 5 pts even when i tested him with only half his abilities, as your also effectively getting a discounted shield upgrade too.

Some people have mentioned Fel as a decent option, but I think the better interceptor would be Carnor Jax, shield upgrade, RGT, + 1 mod of your choice. Jax`s normal problem is his ability is great....but he needs to be in the thick of things and interceptors are very squishy. This toughens him up a bit (ps, sorry bout the off topic interceptor ramblings).

All in all, Yes, krennic is very useful for advanceds.

I would hope that there will be a FAQ that says you cannot Optimize and then use Accuracy Corrector.  Currenlty they fall under the same timing window, so you should be able to choose, but the thought of a ship with only a 2 dice primary getting to cancel one die to remove a shield and then add two hit results sounds bad, even though it will only help ships that aren't any good right now.

Krennic will be a nice boost for Vader and a few other ships, it will be costly (no Palp, cheaper filler...) with good benefits.  A sheild upgrade, auto damage to shields and a FCS for another ship (if in range) for 5 points is a bargain.

Darth Vader (29)
Juke (2)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Lone Wolf (2)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Director Krennic (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Vader boosts/evades, throws 2 dice, cancels 1 to krenic, canceles the other to AC, and jukes the enemy dice. Then RAC follows up with a TL/Palp/RAC attack.

Edited by Rakaydos

7 minutes ago, Mrk1984 said:

I would hope that there will be a FAQ that says you cannot Optimize and then use Accuracy Corrector.  Currenlty they fall under the same timing window, so you should be able to choose, but the thought of a ship with only a 2 dice primary getting to cancel one die to remove a shield and then add two hit results sounds bad, even though it will only help ships that aren't any good right now.

Krennic will be a nice boost for Vader and a few other ships, it will be costly (no Palp, cheaper filler...) with good benefits.  A sheild upgrade, auto damage to shields and a FCS for another ship (if in range) for 5 points is a bargain.

It's a very good deal.

For that matter, it makes me wonder about putting Krennic on a major combatant - one nice thing about the Reaper is that it's no slouch as a main combatant itself - 8 hits and agility 2 (with lightweight frame) is slightly better than a T-70 X-wing, Advanced Ailerons gives it pseudo-advanced-sensors-boost, and putting krennic on gives it a shield upgrade, Fire control that's not dependent on enemy ships, and an anti-regen ability. Even if you never jam someone, underestimating vermeil as a dogfighter is a foolish idea.

I think it's not a bad idea with an accuracy corrector advanced. If I was taking it, I'd pack Juno, because she has the manoeuvrability and defence but unlike vader hasn't the action economy to easily use ATC.

Veteran Instincts (1)
Director Krennic (5)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 99

RAC will do very well with the TL + Pilot ability. Vader hits harder with the ability to strip shields with blanks to go along with Focus + ATC.

Frees up RAC's action as you no longer have to use it on Kylo, you can continue boosting as needed to arc dodge. Will the damage boost to RAC and Vader outweigh losing Kylo shutting down targets? Hmm...

21 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Darth Vader (29)
Juke (2)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Lone Wolf (2)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Director Krennic (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

This is a bad list - Optimized Prototype only generates a friendly TL out to range 2, which means LW isn't going to work if Vader is that close.  Also, as established, AC is inferior to ATC, even with Juke (although Juke + AC is certainly a thing)

15 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Veteran Instincts (1)
Director Krennic (5)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 99

RAC will do very well with the TL + Pilot ability. Vader hits harder with the ability to strip shields with blanks to go along with Focus + ATC.

Frees up RAC's action as you no longer have to use it on Kylo, you can continue boosting as needed to arc dodge. Will the damage boost to RAC and Vader outweigh losing Kylo shutting down targets? Hmm...

This is a much better list, although I'd personally run it with Intensity Vader and Adaptability on RAC instead of VI on both - but that's because I'm an idiot that likes getting PS killed.