Piney Tinecones

T-65 favorite/oppressive builds help

Hey everyone. In short, I was really hoping y’all could do me a big favor and post some of your favorite or best T-65 builds with the new upgrades included. I would be extremely appreciative.

In long:

I started playing awhile back when one of the guys from my LGS wanted to get out of X-Wing and was trying to offload all of his stuff. Coincidentally, Modern Jund (Magic: the Gathering) had gotten really nuked and wasn’t performing well and I had gotten tired of it, so I decided to trade some of the cards for his collection. After I acquired that I picked up some other expansions here and there, and now have a pretty decent collection. All I wanted to do was play a T-65 Aces list, and I ended up just getting really discouraged. I loved the T-65 pilots, I love the ship, but I’m a competitive guy and I didn’t want to try to learn a game that I was doomed to suck at just because I was flying my favorite ship. So I packed it all away and haven’t touched it in awhile. I checked back in the other night for the first time in at least a year and saw what Wave 14 had to offer and got really excited. It’s been so long since I’ve played though, and I never really had a great grasp on the game to begin with, I would really appreciate it if y’all could give me some loadout ideas for the T-65. Whether it’s your favorite pilot or just a build you think would be good. I have every T-65 pilot, including the Transport guys, so I’m all ears. I have a ton of upgrades and droids and all that stuff. If it’s an upgrade that’s just recently come out in a newer expansion, I probably won’t have it. Wave VIII is the latest I have, but I have most everything from then back, including the rare/pricey upgrades/droids/crews/etc. With that said, I have no problem acquiring any newer stuff necessary for great builds. I play Modern Magic. I’m used to spending exorbitant amounts of money on pieces of card stock, and I have no problem investing in this game again if I can fly my favorite ship.

I’d like to build a XXX aces list, and again, I’d greatly appreciate any help or suggestions of cool T-65 builds. I’m gonna try to get X-Wing going again at my LGS.

Just fiddling around with the squad builder; I've come up with this:

Red Squadron Rides Again (100)

"Hobbie" Klivian — X-Wing    25
Renegade Refit    -2
Targeting Astromech    2
Integrated Astromech    0
Servomotor S-Foils    0
Ship Total: 25

Garven Dreis — X-Wing    26
Renegade Refit    -2
R2-D6    1
Veteran Instincts    1
Servomotor S-Foils    0
Ship Total: 25

Tarn Mison — X-Wing    23
Renegade Refit    -2
R7 Astromech    2
Servomotor S-Foils    0
Ship Total: 23

Jek Porkins — X-Wing    26
Push the Limit    3
Renegade Refit    -2
R2 Astromech    1
Servomotor S-Foils    0
Ship Total: 27

Competitive?  Unlikely.  But it's 4 named X-Wings so it'll be fun!

Thanks, Dr Zoidberg!

Definitely looks like a fun list. Looks competitive to me, but really I wouldn't know. I love the classic Tarn Mison. I think when I last was playing I had a hyper aggressive Wes Jansen build, but I don't remember what it was.

I think I had a build with a stressbot too.

I've also been looking at all these other squad list posts with T-65's to get ideas. Since I haven't played the game nearly enough, it's hard for me to build with team/ship cohesion in mind. That's why I appreciate these suggestions so much. It'd be cool if they had an online version like MTGO for Magic, or if there were psuedo ones like Cockatrice or MODO to use for practice. It seems like it'd translate pretty well to computer. I don't play Magic on MTGO because personally I prefer something a little more tangible, but I do enjoy the advantage of easily finding opponents for practice games on Cockatrice. Helps with deck building a lot. It would be the same for X-Wing. It's hard to know how a squad list will perform without actually testing it.

This is what I'm flying. Only one game so far, but it was rewarding. Still working out the specifics on the upgrades, particularly Wedge's astro and Luke's EPT.

It does also fly a T-70; if you're gung-ho about T-65s or just prefer the alternative you can replace his 40 points with a pair of refitted rookie pilots at 20 points each.

Wedge Antilles (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Renegade Refit (-2)
M9-G8 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
Renegade Refit (-2)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Poe Dameron (PS9) (33)
Veteran Instincts (1)
BB-8 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I mean, I’m not outright opposed to running a T-70. Or even other original trilogy ships. Are stresshogs still a thing? Would XXY with the upgraded T-65’s be viable? I’m completely out of the loop of what’s being run and what’s viable these days.

Also, any suggestions on some cool Luke Skywalker Loadouts?

I like the “Draw Their Fire” on Luke. R2-D2 is obviously a great fit.

Who makes the best stressbot T-65 pilot?

Btw, I really appreciate all the input already. It’s helping. Also, I called the owner of my LGS and he said he wanted to get X-Wing back on the schedule. Here’s hoping.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:47 AM, Piney Tinecones said:

Who makes the best stressbot T-65 pilot

Either

• Hobbie Klivian
    • If you have a target lock on the target, you can burn off the stress from triggering R3-A2 immediately during the attack, and end your turn unstressed.
  • Wes Janson
    • Combined with Veteran Instincts, you can get to PS10 and shoot before most people. Combining stressing your opponent with removing a token of your choice, and you can hit a ship with Expertise and turn a target lock/focused missile attack into an unmodified primary weapon shot.

8 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Either

• Hobbie Klivian
    • If you have a target lock on the target, you can burn off the stress from triggering R3-A2 immediately during the attack, and end your turn unstressed.
  • Wes Janson
    • Combined with Veteran Instincts, you can get to PS10 and shoot before most people. Combining stressing your opponent with removing a token of your choice, and you can hit a ship with Expertise and turn a target lock/focused missile attack into an unmodified primary weapon shot.

Oh that’s gnarly. Especially the Wes Janson. That could really ruin someone’s day. Very aggressive.

Porkins with expertise - he can be selectively unstressed. So with a targeting astro can throw a tallon roll or k turn and then a barrel roll or defensive focus and fully modified attack. Alternatively the hull repair droid with the action to discard a facedown card.

Pair him with Hobbie with targeting astro and the pair of them can throw fully modded attacks at something. Hobbie's only build seems to be targeting Astro. Otherwise he's being handed a lock by someone else after he moves (and has missed his action). He can't pick up a lock himself if he's stressed... it's a weird ability.

tarn mison with m9-g8 - I like r7 but it's once a turn. Tarn locks someone on his own team to give a single reroll. Then when someone shoots at Tarn switch the lock and defend yourself.

Those three will fit with a rookie with FAA if they all have renegade refit, s foils and integrated Astro.

I like the Wes build, will have to try it.

Just for single builds, whether together in a squad or otherwise:

Luke AND Wedge with:

Expertise

FAA

Refit

S-Foils

IA

Wes with:

VI

FAA

Refit

S-Foils

IA

Hobbie

Targeting Astro

Refit

S-Foils

IA

Kulbee

VI or PTL

BB-8

Refit

S-Foils

IA

You'll notice I love FAA. Mostly that is because I know these guys are still kinda squishy - I'd rather they be more effective and hard hitting while they are alive than squeeze out an extra HP or 2 with regen. FAA does WONDERS at keeping the stress free and shooting, while not costing actions.