shamp

Draw Closer Opposed check?

Just now, penpenpen said:

No, it suggests it could be. I would emphasize this but I think you have used more than everyone's fair share of typographical frivolities already.

The only thing that proves anything about the rules (emphasis: rules) are the rules themselves and the devs' commentaries. But hey, your inability to separate crunch from fluff is nothing new, so unless you have a point to make (but please, for the love of George, not in bold type), I'll be bowing out of this subtopic for tonight.

No. It specifically says how it works, not how it "could" work. 

1 hour ago, penpenpen said:

Also, please try to use bold text a little more responsibly and a lot more sparingly, as your posts come across as the speeches of a badly written comic book villain mixed with the outbursts of a petulant child, and it's frankly tiring to read and not doing your arguments any favors.

Quoting for Emphasis!!!! I'm glad I am not the only one who is getting pretty tired of the excessive use of the bold text style.

13 minutes ago, VanHippo said:

I would like to point out that it is possible to move someone emotionally. By that logic it is obviously influence that is the force power used :)

Yes, but that's not what this talent does, not by the way it is written, not by the intent of the writers, not by the lore from which it was taken. 

25 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Yes, but that's not what this talent does, not by the way it is written, not by the intent of the writers, not by the lore from which it was taken. 

It was more of a joke than a real argument. But according to the rules it is a perfecly valid interpetation of the talent. As others have said in this thread the talent makes no mention of how the force is manifested, only that it is involved. 

Also I would claim that the intent of the writers was to leave it open to interpetation. Of course I have not way of knowing the game designers(writers) intent, but neither do you. Or rather you havent yet given a quote where game designers support your interpetation.

The lore is always in flux and often contadictory, so I would not give it much weight.

So I suggest we leave it here. Neither of us will convinced the other. Lets just play the game in a way we enjoy and help each other where we can. :)

Edited by VanHippo

1 hour ago, VanHippo said:

Move isnt as clear as you think. According to one (of several) definition;

Move: to prompt, actuate, or impel to some action. Which you can do with Influence.

But none of that matters because as long as everyone at the table has fun it doesnt matter how actions are described.

Not in the context of the game, nor in how the talent is written, nor in how the lore presents the talent. It's specifically talking about physically moving a target, just like Bind's movement upgrade. It doesn't say "influence" to move. It says spending the FP to move the target. Whenever the game talks about moving something or someone, it's talking about physical action upon that target, not influence or trickery.

Draw Closer moves the opponent from short to engaged and you hit it with a lightsaber.

It does not matter where you are or if solid objects block the path. So yes you can yank someone into the air smack them in the face and watch them fall.

You can also use farsight to see through a wall and yank the guy on the other side to you through the wall and smack them in the face.

There is no section in the rules that says you need to be on solid ground or if something blocks the path that it fails.

Bottom line its a force talent and there are two ways to get someone to move to you.

1. Mind ****

2. Telekinesis

Pick the one you like.

1 hour ago, Decorus said:

Draw Closer moves the opponent from short to engaged and you hit it with a lightsaber.

It does not matter where you are or if solid objects block the path. So yes you can yank someone into the air smack them in the face and watch them fall.

You can also use farsight to see through a wall and yank the guy on the other side to you through the wall and smack them in the face.

There is no section in the rules that says you need to be on solid ground or if something blocks the path that it fails.

Bottom line its a force talent and there are two ways to get someone to move to you.

1. Mind ****

2. Telekinesis

Pick the one you like.

If solid objects (or some type of restraints on the target) don't block the movement, then teleportation is going to be a possibility too.

20 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

If solid objects (or some type of restraints on the target) don't block the movement, then teleportation is going to be a possibility too.

Well, seeing as how the talent makes zero distinction regarding the presence of difficult or impassable terrain.  It just says that if the character can't move the target to engage them, the attack fails.

So it'd be GM interpretation as to whether impassable terrain makes using this talent impossible in the first place (as Varlie has chosen), or if difficult terrain requires extra Force points to reel the target in, or if the power allows the character to circumvent the barriers in some way, all depending on how one flavors the talent.

But under a strict reading of the talent's rules, as terrain plays no part in the game mechanics, teleportation could very much be a thing if the group is down with it.  After all, there are groups playing Star Wars as having a much more high-fantasy flavor to it and the Force very much being magic, so reaching through the Force to teleport a foe right in front of you could be a very pedestrian thing in those sorts of games, where the crazier shenanigans of Vader's Secret Princess from the Force Unleashed games are at the low end of what can be done with the Force.  As long as the table's having fun, it's all good.