Barby007

Transporting Legion

I think you go one way or the other. I used foam pieces (and white glue) in a case for my metal Battletech figures, another lid failure and maybe a third of the miniatures needed gluing, also lost the rocket launcher from one figure. I will have to try cutting my own foam that I can get from a craft store (local for me are Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Joann's). I have a Battletech case (zipper top) with extra layer sheets so have it for two armies. Magnets are cheap, quick and dirty, but only for transport by car and hand.

Off topic question Barby, did you complete BigEasy's questionnaire? It was like 98% male players. It is nice you and your hubby play. My wife only does board games. 

I went with magnets.

YBwJywy.jpg

mvIOHR6.jpg

NqsQAKb.jpg

The kind I ended up using are 10mm x 1 mm although you could get two under the bases.  3mm is too big.  One magnet keeps them from sliding around too much.  If you put two under there they are really stuck right.  The AT RT is too tall to fit in the box with the lid on so I used aviation shears to cut one of my panels and stuck it to the side.  I put a ton of magnets on the base but actually I think only a couple are doing anything.

I haven’t sorted what I will do with the AT ST and Snowspeeder yet.  But I really like this.  I used roofing sheets for the metal bases and they were 3 for $3.30.  The cases were like $15 at Target and the magnets were $10 for 60 or something.  So not free but less expensive than foam.  I will carry the rest of the stuff in a core box.

Thanks for all the ideas! It seems most of you are just carrying around a list's worth of miniatures & materials. I move around all my miniatures, my husband's, & some terrain. I'm definitely going to go the bag & foam route so  I'm looking at options for foam & bags now. So far the Feldheer company seems pretty good but need to look thoroughly through the site for the right size. Battle foam is great but too pricey. Looking for other companies that make foam & bags for miniatures.

Than you,

Barby :)

Edited by Barby007

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, Barby007 said:

I'm definitely going to go the bag & foam route so  I'm looking at options for foam & bags now. 

So do you have a case already? As mentioned above, get extra foam trays for your Legion. I like pull foam trays (Feldherr calls it Pick and Pluck) so I can do my own trays, but if the pre-cut work get those. There are other brands such as Chessex and Armytransport, some companies have their own brand, such as GW. Gun cases work too, but (my opinion) not for two armies, rules, dice, tokens, etc. Get a case that can store non-miniature stuff.

15 hours ago, Bohemian73 said:

So do you have a case already? As mentioned above, get extra foam trays for your Legion. I like pull foam trays (Feldherr calls it Pick and Pluck) so I can do my own trays, but if the pre-cut work get those. There are other brands such as Chessex and Armytransport, some companies have their own brand, such as GW. Gun cases work too, but (my opinion) not for two armies, rules, dice, tokens, etc. Get a case that can store non-miniature stuff.

I have bags & foam for other games but not for Legion. Other games require a much higher model count than legion so far though & the models have also been quite larger. I was hoping to NOT go the foam & bag route but it seems to be the best option for transporting all models not just a list. I'm hoping for suggestions of websites that will have foam & bags cheaper. Will definitely look into Army Transport & Chessex. GW foam & cases are horrible! Highly NOT recommended.

Barby :)

7 hours ago, Barby007 said:

GW foam & cases are horrible! Highly NOT recommended.

Agreed, gun cases are not recommended by me either. Chessex will be similar to GW. Less expensive, but not for larger than troop six figures. Look at smaller (half?) foam cases if you only want to transport an army list or two. Get a half case if that suits your needs. several vendors sell them. I recommend you stay with your current brand so you can swap the trays in or out depending on the army that you want to transport.

I suggest a fishing bag. I know it sounds dumb but you can hold all your miniatures in the cases that the fish hooks would go into. I am not sure which kind of fishing bag to get yet. I will be going to a store to find out what kind of fishing bag will be qualified for Legion miniatures.

I will tell you the brand and type of bag if you are interested to know.

I bought a Games Workshop 'Ardcase for mine. It holds everything very well, and I will be traveling internationally with it. It was a bit expensive, but is rock solid for flying.

large.jpg

Edited by Sharkbelly

On 5/10/2018 at 6:57 AM, Barby007 said:

GW foam & cases are horrible! Highly NOT recommended.

Do you have the older ones or the newer ones?

I love the stackable plastic boxes, too. Most of my Warhammer armies call those home. 

I may be late to this post but I found a really decent hard case on Amazon that takes the BFS battlefoam trays perfectly. Battlefoam does an excellent job of keeping painted stuff safe. 

1bLDbSn.jpg

QJCMzuv.jpg

On4kZdD.jpg?1

IJDAzp8.jpg?1

BL4cnyW.jpg?1

The nice thing is, once you have an idea of what your collection is going to be, the custom tray maker lets you get more out of a tray. I'm getting rid of one AT-ST tray and the speeder bike tray to add two 32-slot general troop trays and a custom tray to fit 3 squads of speeders and 3 e-webs. Even with the announced imperial expansions coming up I should have room for my entire imperial collection that way.