Jump to content
Barby007

Transporting Legion

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! I'm trying to find the best way to carry around Legion. I want something not too expensive but I don't want someone running into it & knocking all the models over. How are you all transporting your models? Pics if possible & links if possible please. 

 

Thank you,

Barby :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Irokenics said:

A little TOO cheap for me & still seems like a hassle. Too many compartments. I feel like I'd leave a unit behind or something. Look for all in one style.  Thank you though!

 

11 minutes ago, kac said:

BattleFoam for me. It's incredibly protective.

The bear now is carrying around terrain. It's pretty bulky and I'll only be getting more.

I was thinking about this but I noticed some foam is meant for Legion but obviously not for the new models coming out .  It's also expensive. Thanks though!

 

1 minute ago, shmitty said:

Love this thing:

http://www.miniduels.com/#!/Legion-tray/p/103346005/category=20391182

810912033.jpg

 

The spaces for the models are deep enough that they stay in place on car rides to the FLGS.  The drawer holds all the counters and cards that you need to play.

I like it but I feel like this is the type of tranport that someone could bump into & models go flying everywhere.  Looking for something more sealed.  Thank you though. 

 

 

Barby :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going the magnetized route...there's simply so much security and flexibility at a good price. By magnetizing your bases and buying cheap $0.69 siding flash sheets from your local home improvement store you can turn anything into secure storage (including the Core box). The biggest investment is a pair of aviation shears to allow you to custom cut the flash sheets, but after that you're set. Best part is that it easily handles your expanding collection. 

You can also just put magnets in the base and use a steel toolbox if you want even less hassle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

You might consider buying some pluck foam and making your own custom foam trays. It's cheaper than battlefoam-type storage and there's no concern about models fitting since you pluck it yourself. You might also look into magnetic trays.

 

I am definitely thinking of this route but still need to find a large enough carrying case for all of it to fit in. 

 

21 minutes ago, sploosh said:

This is a topic I am currently interested in, as I've never played a game like this before.

 

I knew it would be a topic that a lot of us would find helpful & much needed. :)

 

15 minutes ago, Big Easy said:

I'm going the magnetized route...there's simply so much security and flexibility at a good price. By magnetizing your bases and buying cheap $0.69 siding flash sheets from your local home improvement store you can turn anything into secure storage (including the Core box). The biggest investment is a pair of aviation shears to allow you to custom cut the flash sheets, but after that you're set. Best part is that it easily handles your expanding collection. 

You can also just put magnets in the base and use a steel toolbox if you want even less hassle. 

 

Yes, I've heard of the magnetized tool box idea. Definitely considering it! :) Just gotta find the right size for long term use not just short term use.

 

4 minutes ago, Ubul said:

Sterilite stackable plastic bins, adhesive magnetic sheet, metal movement tray and rare earth magnets.

 

20180430_150106_2.jpg

 

Seems like a lot to carry this way. :(

 

Barby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Barby007 said:

Seems like a lot to carry this way. :(

No, it's not. It is very compact. The two bins on my image is approx 14x10x8 inches, much smaller than any foam storage solution, it holds my two core sets of imperials, with enough space for 2 more units. You can fit even more, if you skip the metal trays. The bottom tray holds all dice, tokens, movement tools etc. Plus it is easy to expand by adding new bins as your collection grows.

Edited by Ubul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Barby007 said:

Yes, I've heard of the magnetized tool box idea. Definitely considering it! :) Just gotta find the right size for long term use not just short term use.

Best part about magnets is that your storage solution can grow with them. Worst case, you buy a new container and put down some metal when your old box gets too small. That way you don't have to start out with a huge empty box or get stuck with one that's too small.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Irokenics said:

It sounds like you want to cart your entire collection around rather than a specific list? 

Good luck finding your goldilocks zone based on your responses to the suggestions so far! :)

Yes! I'm trying to carry my collection & my hubby's. We only own the core set & I own an additional AT-RT. I'm looking to carry current & future purchases for both of us in 1 case. There aren't many things we are picking up anyways but we don't want to constantly have to buy new storage. 1 storage for both of us & then eventually it'll turn into 1 storage for my models & 1 storage for his models. 

 

16 hours ago, Mep said:

The first rule of storage club, there is no good storage solution. They are either pricey, ghetto, bulky or non-secure. Pick the one you can live with the easiest and go from there.

 

I agree. I currently can't budge on a lot of storage because we don't have the space. We live in a 1 bedroom efficiency so we don't have any space. We also can't budge on security cause we can't have our models breaking &/or falling all over the place cause that can lead to pricey meaning buying more models.  

 

15 hours ago, Toontotalwar said:

Feldherr carry cases and boxes are the best in my opinion!

https://www.feldherr.net/for/star-wars-legion/

I really like this option!!! Thanks a lot Toontotalwar!! :)

Barby :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like foam. I think it is the best option, but it is expensive. I plan to use magnets. Be careful of the plastic storage boxes you buy. Some of the 'handle on top' types don't stay closed when carrying around. My Bolt Action figures are metal, but the clasp came open twice, mostly dumping my miniatures. Never really happened before, but I went with a different case that has no handle on top, so I just carry them around holding thee bottom.

Feldherr looks nice, maybe I will check then out when I go to Germany in a few weeks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best option IMO is to magnetise your models. Then, you buy some plastic tubs. 

Then, you buy some non-slip rubber matting, like old people use in showers or stuff.

Then, you either buy some steel sheets or you buy some self-adhesive magnetic rubber sheeting (You can buy this in A4 sizes from most hobby stores. I use http://www.back2base-ix.com/) which you then adhere to some thin MDF. This option is easier for some people since it can be hard to work with steel or find sheets in the right size.

Then, you glue 2mm or 3mm neodymium magnets under your models. Again, I get mine from http://www.back2base-ix.com/.

Then, you simply plonk the models down on the magnetic base, which is prevented from sliding around in your plastic tubs by the non-slip rubber matting underneath it. Your models won't move, they won't tip over, they're protected from dust and putting things on top of them, you can stack as many containers on top of each other as you need, etc.

The downsides to this type of storage is that it's not flight friendly. You really want a hard case with foam trays if you're going to be putting your minis on a plane. Also, if you drop the tubs, you could be in for a headache. Hard cases with foam trays let you really throw your stuff around. With plastic tubs you need to be a bit more careful. But for home storage and car travel, it's hard to beat IMO. You won't get wear and tear on your paintjobs like you do with foam, also foam degrades over time so that's another issue you won't have to deal with, and it easily scales up or down, and some plastic tubs have removable partitions which mean you can store things like dice and tapemeasures (or movement tools, if your game is too cool to use tapemeasures) in the same container without them rattling around and destroying your models. 

I've tried just about every transport method you can think of, from simply piling everything into a cardboard box, the custom cut foam, to pluck-n-pull foam, to bespoke display boards, and finally the magnetised plastic tubs, and the magnetised plastic tubs are by far my preferred option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2018 at 2:37 PM, shmitty said:

Love this thing:

http://www.miniduels.com/#!/Legion-tray/p/103346005/category=20391182

810912033.jpg

 

The spaces for the models are deep enough that they stay in place on car rides to the FLGS.  The drawer holds all the counters and cards that you need to play.

Just ordered one of these (plus some terrain for the free shipping) and I'm way excited about it. I know plenty of people are worried about them shifting but I plan on magnatizing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, w7w7w7w7w7 said:

Just ordered one of these (plus some terrain for the free shipping) and I'm way excited about it. I know plenty of people are worried about them shifting but I plan on magnatizing it.

Magnetizing had been my plan, but I’ve found them to be stable enough so far that I haven’t needed to.   

It will be very easy though.  You could insert a sheet of metal under the cutout with no trouble at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

Just be careful with base inserts like the MDF case pictured that painting the bases and adding basing material to them doesn't make them too snug.

Yes I agree! I'm definitely NOT going to base much. 

Thanks!

Barby :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bohemian73 said:

I like foam. I think it is the best option, but it is expensive. I plan to use magnets. Be careful of the plastic storage boxes you buy. Some of the 'handle on top' types don't stay closed when carrying around. My Bolt Action figures are metal, but the clasp came open twice, mostly dumping my miniatures. Never really happened before, but I went with a different case that has no handle on top, so I just carry them around holding thee bottom.

Feldherr looks nice, maybe I will check then out when I go to Germany in a few weeks.  

I agree! I am a little biased of foam because it's super secure & great for traveling in my experience with minis. Unfortunately, it is expensive so I agree with that.  Feldherr definitely has my attention cause it's not as expensive as Battle Foam. I also like that I can take it with me on flights & in car when traveling though the states for different events. 

Barby :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

The best option IMO is to magnetise your models. Then, you buy some plastic tubs. 

Then, you buy some non-slip rubber matting, like old people use in showers or stuff.

Then, you either buy some steel sheets or you buy some self-adhesive magnetic rubber sheeting (You can buy this in A4 sizes from most hobby stores. I use http://www.back2base-ix.com/) which you then adhere to some thin MDF. This option is easier for some people since it can be hard to work with steel or find sheets in the right size.

Then, you glue 2mm or 3mm neodymium magnets under your models. Again, I get mine from http://www.back2base-ix.com/.

Then, you simply plonk the models down on the magnetic base, which is prevented from sliding around in your plastic tubs by the non-slip rubber matting underneath it. Your models won't move, they won't tip over, they're protected from dust and putting things on top of them, you can stack as many containers on top of each other as you need, etc.

The downsides to this type of storage is that it's not flight friendly. You really want a hard case with foam trays if you're going to be putting your minis on a plane. Also, if you drop the tubs, you could be in for a headache. Hard cases with foam trays let you really throw your stuff around. With plastic tubs you need to be a bit more careful. But for home storage and car travel, it's hard to beat IMO. You won't get wear and tear on your paintjobs like you do with foam, also foam degrades over time so that's another issue you won't have to deal with, and it easily scales up or down, and some plastic tubs have removable partitions which mean you can store things like dice and tapemeasures (or movement tools, if your game is too cool to use tapemeasures) in the same container without them rattling around and destroying your models. 

I've tried just about every transport method you can think of, from simply piling everything into a cardboard box, the custom cut foam, to pluck-n-pull foam, to bespoke display boards, and finally the magnetised plastic tubs, and the magnetised plastic tubs are by far my preferred option. 

This sounds like you have to be a very crafty person. Plus it sounds like it's very time consuming. 2 things i don't have time or craft skills. I definitely have thought about magnetizing models but the problem is the case. I've never seen a battlefoam type bag fall more than a feet or 2 in which nothing happened to any models. I have seen plastic trays & plastic cases slide off of stools, tables, & even from someone's hands with only magnets, & half the models, if not most, broke or needed some kind of repair. I wouldn't mind magnetizing in foam but I can justify magnetizing in just a plain plastic case. 

Thank you

Barby :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's a bit crafty, but I've been using some custom foam.  I bought a cheap wire knife and a 2 inch foam topper for a bed off of Amazon.  I've used it with great success with my X-Wing Collection where I bought a toolbox for $30 and have all my non-epic ships that fit in there.  Right now for Legion I have been using the original Legion box and have a core set, AT-ST, and another squad of Stormtroopers hanging out in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...