Rogue_Group1

How much stuff would you recommend for a full army?

Two halves of the core sets + T47 has been doing well enough for me. Personally I don't want/need the upgrade cards that come with the individual Trooper/AT-RT sets, so I skipped them in lieu of another core half. 

Edited by Xiervak

If upgrades don’t matter to you then 2 cores and the t-47 is great. Personally I liked getting the individual expansions for more options and impact grenades. I don’t know if that’s as important for rebels though, I favor the empire.

29 minutes ago, Omnustechni said:

Luke, 4-6 Rebel Troopers, and 3 ATRTs. That's all you really need. T47 never seems to do as well as the 2 ATRTs you can run for the same number of points.

I have generally had really good luck with my T-47. It's easy runnable naked. 

I have to agree with @Omnustechni the T-47 is the least efficient unit in the game right now and would highly recommend against running it in any sort of competitive setting. With a very pathetic health of 7 and 3.75 avg dmg output for 175pts, you can pretty much run anything else for the same points and achieve a better result. Two AT-RTs is easily better than single T-47, having almost double the heath (12 compared to 7, even with the worse defense die this is significantly more), almost double the firepower (rotary 3.125 avg dmg, canon 2.125 avg dmg per unit) and more importantly double activations for less or equal points). Also you want to run as many troopers squads as you can, they are crucial for locking down objectives, something the T-47 is also really bad at. Also reminder to fit to prioritize the Z-6 for all trooper squads, it is the bulk of rebel troopers dmg output.

49 minutes ago, garciaj113 said:

and would highly recommend against running it in any sort of competitive setting.

is there a competitive setting?  and what does it look like?  I've got a tournament this weekend but have no idea  what that should look like.  Are we going to have to run through the blue/red priority and figure out terrain, deployment, etc every match?

22 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

is there a competitive setting?  and what does it look like?  I've got a tournament this weekend but have no idea  what that should look like.  Are we going to have to run through the blue/red priority and figure out terrain, deployment, etc every match?

Right now there isn’t, even the OP kits are relaxed rules.  However it isn’t hard to sit down with someone and agree to play the rules to the letter with the understanding that winning the game is priority number one. 

Important to note, it is entirely possible to sit down with someone and do that and still have a good time and shake hands at the end!

Well, we don't have much choice at the moment, but I think 6 units of infantry is needed, 5 in some special builds. If only to hold ground with naked units of 4 dudes. Then to be honest, at the moment, all you need is three squads of bikes as imp and 3 squads of atrt as Rebs (with any weapon of choice, just don't expect them to live if you use anything but laser canons)

3 hours ago, Xiervak said:

Two halves of the core sets + T47 has been doing well enough for me. Personally I don't want/need the upgrade cards that come with the individual Trooper/AT-RT sets, so I skipped them in lieu of another core half. 

That’s what I did and I think it’s a great way to go. I did just get a third AT-RT but it’s nit necessary

59 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

That’s what I did and I think it’s a great way to go. I did just get a third AT-RT but it’s nit necessary

The T-47 isn't amazing but it's good enough to pick off a few units/fight the AT-ST if it must. I don't get all the hate for it on this thread. I haven't played a match without it since I picked it up.

With the objectives the way they are, heavy trooper lists have a good advantage right now. With that said, don't over buy since you'll soon have some very nice trooper options for rebels.

36 minutes ago, Xiervak said:

The T-47 isn't amazing but it's good enough to pick off a few units/fight the AT-ST if it must. I don't get all the hate for it on this thread. I haven't played a match without it since I picked it up.

I think it's a bit overpriced, personally. For the same cost, it is virtually inferior in almost every way compared to two pairs of speeder bikes.

Less hp (about half), less firepower (about half too), harder to use/manoeuvre, possible to cripple with loss of HP. It pays a lot for armour but imps have a lot of impact weapons. If you get the harpoon, you use it more often to shoot some suppression than to turn vehicles (can't do it to speeders unless you crit too...), And the ground buzzer is somewhat overpriced.

It's not bad, but its impact on the battle is severely limited by the fact you need to hold it in leash initially so it doesn't get killed early. Hard to use powerful tool that's a fair bit overpriced.

Armor is a bigger deal than it feels.  I often feel the same about it, but its worth keeping a tally throughout the game of how much damage it blocks.  Impact means you get chipped away, but it still blocks a point or two in most attacks.  I find that much like the Speeder bikes, the biggest problem is that the compulsory move compels people to put it far closer than the RNG 3 it needs to attack, often in range to be the only thing several units can attack.  I've been trying to train myself to take a second move with these kinds of models lately to be able to better keep my distance by looping into a firing arc rather than bee lining straight into the crossfire.  It might well still be overpriced, but its also got a lot of options that give it a fairly high skillcap I've not seen at all exploited.

2 hours ago, Xiervak said:

It's a high risk, low reward points sink with a high skill floor that is easily outmatched by cheaper, easier to use, more numerous AT-RTs.

Also it mucks up your order token pool, forcing the use of something like long range comms or battle meditation to ensure it doesn't activate an an inopportune time.

I can't think of a single reason to put it in a list outside of "it looks neat".

Edited by Tvayumat

1 hour ago, LunarSol said:

but its also got a lot of options that give it a fairly high skillcap I've not seen at all exploited.

Does it, though?

The groundbuzzer is overpriced and underwhelming. The Harpoon is a fun gimmick that isn't really very good, even at 8 pts.

The main cannon has shorter range and only marginally better dice than the stock weapon on the AT-ST, keeping it pointed in the right direction is a chore, and the points it costs could pay for several AT-RTs with laser cannons.

The more I play with it the more I see that it has a high skill floor and a low skill ceiling. You can break yourself off carefully maneuvering it and it still won't pay off like other units would have.

Edited by Tvayumat

In my area people rush in way too much. The t-47 is all about rounds 3-6 when you have nutralized or can avoid enemy threats.

here is my advice for playing the T-47. 

Use a standard x-wing deployment tactic. Place it in a corner of a board facing parallel to your board edge. For the first 1-2 rounds drive it down the edge untill you see a good place for it to turn into the fight. 

T-47 is a godsend in the getting to your opponents deployment zone objective.

Also bring some tall buildings or walls to the table and laugh as you soar over it.

Edited by TylerTT

If you're just trying to get to 800 points so you can go play with other people, the airspeeder is a good way to get there faster. I agree with what everyone has said though, the T-47 is a very technical unit that requires practice and a lot of foresight, especially with deployment since that thing hauls once its activated. But hey, we're only at a little more than a month after launch, plenty of time to get used to it still! 

While being iconic to the original trilogy, its probably better that it was released at launch as I dont think many would pick it up if there were other heavy (or really any other) unit options available to the Rebels. But at $24 on Amazon and the only heavy options the Rebels have, it's cheap enough to just get one to have one...

15 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Does it, though?

The groundbuzzer is overpriced and underwhelming. The Harpoon is a fun gimmick that isn't really very good, even at 8 pts.

The main cannon has shorter range and only marginally better dice than the stock weapon on the AT-ST, keeping it pointed in the right direction is a chore, and the points it costs could pay for several AT-RTs with laser cannons.

The more I play with it the more I see that it has a high skill floor and a low skill ceiling. You can break yourself off carefully maneuvering it and it still won't pay off like other units would have.

I wouldn't call the main cannon marginally better.  It's essentially a full extra red die worth of expected damage.  I do kind of feel like the rear weapon is a bit of a trap.  It's very easy to to want to get use out of it every turn and I just don't think you want to be in a position that allows you to.  One of the things I keep having to fight is the feeling that I need to get any closer than my maximum range and compulsory moves create the worst of this.  When I shoot the Airspeeder down, I regularly find it takes a deceptively high amount of firepower to finish off.  If people stopped putting it in range of literally every gun in my army, I probably wouldn't be able to get the job done.

16 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

It's a high risk, low reward points sink with a high skill floor that is easily outmatched by cheaper, easier to use, more numerous AT-RTs.

Also it mucks up your order token pool, forcing the use of something like long range comms or battle meditation to ensure it doesn't activate an an inopportune time.

I can't think of a single reason to put it in a list outside of "it looks neat".

I've had more than one battle where an AT-ST was forced between trying to kill off my T-47 with 1HP or moving on to another target. Again, not saying it's great, but it's enough of a threat on the battlefield to make it a viable option. I wholeheartedly reject the notion that 'it looks neat' is the only reason you play it. It's a threat to just about everything on the battlefield when played correctly. 

But hey, to each their own.

Edited by Xiervak