Barby007

New & Need Help with a Rebels List

Hi everyone! I'm interested in owning an 800pt list. Currently, I only own the Core set & 1 AT-RT. I know there are Fleet Troopers, Rebel Commandos, Leia, & Han coming out soon. I don't have a lot of money to invest so I want to make sure I get exactly what I would need to play in a tournament setting. I borrowed an army for a tournament I went to recently & although I came in 3rd place, the list was just Rebel Trooper spam so I found it quite boring & very annoying having to move so many models. What 800 pt list do you suggest I run that would be cheap & competitive? Should I just wait until all the new Rebel minis come out? etc. My favorite Star Wars character is Leia which is the reason I play Rebels. If it weren't for her, I'd be playing imperials. lol

Thanks,

Barby :) 

Problem is the troop spam is probably the only “competive” option rebels have at the moment I think.

However, AT-RTs are pretty easy on the ol budget and throwing repeating blasters on them will give you a decent chunk of your points and played well can impact the game decently.

Outside of that, battle meditation and scope on Luke, Z-6 squads no grenades are pretty much your only option.

The speeder is hot flying garbage in my opinion, yes it can do work if you both play it perfectly, roll above average AND your opponent misplays but at 30 bucks and 175 points it is just a miss all around.

You might have a better time waiting patiently for commandos?

17 hours ago, Darkfine said:

Problem is the troop spam is probably the only “competive” option rebels have at the moment I think.

However, AT-RTs are pretty easy on the ol budget and throwing repeating blasters on them will give you a decent chunk of your points and played well can impact the game decently.

Outside of that, battle meditation and scope on Luke, Z-6 squads no grenades are pretty much your only option.

The speeder is hot flying garbage in my opinion, yes it can do work if you both play it perfectly, roll above average AND your opponent misplays but at 30 bucks and 175 points it is just a miss all around.

You might have a better time waiting patiently for commandos?

Thanks for the info Darkfine!! Well I was wondering a few things....

1. How many "base" units are we required to run if any? Are there limitations to the amount of each model we can run? I'm new to the game so some stuff I'm unsure of.

2. The units coming out (Commandos / Fleet) are any of them "base" units or are they support/elite units (meaning not base)?

3. I was thinking of only running 1 Speeder. Is that ok? I feel it will remove some points so I don't have to do so much unit spam & it rolls decent dice.

4. I was thinking of running 2-3 AT-ST's. Is this a good number to run? I'm leaning towards 2 but I've seen 3 a lot.

5. I have run Luke with Saber Throw. Eventually, I won't be playing Luke. I want to play Leia & Han. Leia will probably always be a staple in my lists since she's my favorite character. With what little information is out on Han & Leia, do you feel Luke is the better choice considering how many points he's worth?

Thank you,

28 minutes ago, Barby007 said:

Thanks for the info Darkfine!! Well I was wondering a few things....

1. How many "base" units are we required to run if any? Are there limitations to the amount of each model we can run? I'm new to the game so some stuff I'm unsure of.

2. The units coming out (Commandos / Fleet) are any of them "base" units or are they support/elite units (meaning not base)?

3. I was thinking of only running 1 Speeder. Is that ok? I feel it will remove some points so I don't have to do so much unit spam & it rolls decent dice.

4. I was thinking of running 2-3 AT-ST's. Is this a good number to run? I'm leaning towards 2 but I've seen 3 a lot.

5. I have run Luke with Saber Throw. Eventually, I won't be playing Luke. I want to play Leia & Han. Leia will probably always be a staple in my lists since she's my favorite character. With what little information is out on Han & Leia, do you feel Luke is the better choice considering how many points he's worth?

Thank you,

1.  Commander 1-2, corps 3-6, spec ops not out yet, support 0-3, heavy 0-2

2.  Fleet are troop and look terrible, commandos are spec ops

3.  For the sake of filling out 800 points sure run the speeder.  I’d drop it ASAP though

4.  I never leave home without 3 but two should be fine, again either naked or rotary blaster

5.  Wouldn’t run saber throw in Luke, his blaster is plenty fine if he can’t get his hands on whatever you need dead.  I am pretty sure I’ll be running Luke and  Leia when she drops.  Luke will be the heat seeking missle he is now and Leia will support the troop spam.  I think the “lucky” trait on Han is actually bad, a 120 point model with no armor and a white defense die is a huge liability.  Would have rather seen just a red defense and no lucky personally.

I am pretty sure Commandos will be a staple in rebel lists when they drop.  I’d almost bet money on that.

I am playing lists that have 4-5 Corps choices. For Imperials Vader, 5 Stormtroopers and 2 Bikes, for Rebels Luke, 4-5 Troopers, 2-3 AT-RT's and 0-1 T-47. I also have 2 AT-STs and with Veers that 4 Stormtrooper, 2 AT-ST list looks like it will be silly amounts of fun to play. Maybe more so once the Snowtroopers come out of hyperspace, hope for tomorrow, would that be too early?

Having said that if you are playing this game on a budget and a tight one at that let me suggest that you just take your time and buy things here and there and expand slowly and with care.

With monthly releases you should find lists change monthly, we have signed up for a very fast changing meta here and what was working this month may not fair so well the next. So buy an expansion or Rebel Troopers and Stormtroopers, although I think a second core may be cheaper and you’ll get more bikes and an AT-RT. If you paint you can paint up Luke and Vader and sell them to you FLGS perhaps for a little store credit or another player. Making the core cost slightly less.

After that don’t be afraid to look at some of the online army builders and proxy a unit to test the waters. OK so the Lord of Evil is actually Veers, play a few games (3+ never just one) and if you decide that Veers isn’t a worthy inclusion send him to the mines on Kessell.

Do the same with the Snowtroopers, proxy up some Stormtroopers and play a few games. If you don’t like them keep them on Hoth to guard that newly captured Rebel base and head off to Endor where the Emperor has requested your presence.

In a months time you’ll have Leia and Fleet Troopers to repeat the process with.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, Darkfine said:

1.  Commander 1-2, corps 3-6, spec ops not out yet, support 0-3, heavy 0-2

2.  Fleet are troop and look terrible, commandos are spec ops

3.  For the sake of filling out 800 points sure run the speeder.  I’d drop it ASAP though

4.  I never leave home without 3 but two should be fine, again either naked or rotary blaster

5.  Wouldn’t run saber throw in Luke, his blaster is plenty fine if he can’t get his hands on whatever you need dead.  I am pretty sure I’ll be running Luke and  Leia when she drops.  Luke will be the heat seeking missle he is now and Leia will support the troop spam.  I think the “lucky” trait on Han is actually bad, a 120 point model with no armor and a white defense die is a huge liability.  Would have rather seen just a red defense and no lucky personally.

I am pretty sure Commandos will be a staple in rebel lists when they drop.  I’d almost bet money on that.

1. Thanks! I didn't know this but I figured it would be similar to 40k. 

2. I actually was looking into this. Here's what I'm seeing.

Fleet Troopers roll 2 white dice for shooting. In a squad of 4 that's 8 white dice. After performing a stand-by action they gain an aim token (re-rolls)

Rebel Troopers roll 1 black die each for shooting unless there is 1 Z-6. In a squad of 5 + 1 Z6 that's 5 black dice & 6 white dice for a total of 11 dice. After defending, they gain a dodge token if they spent a dodge token.

I don't think they are THAT bad. What do you think? Would you put any gear/upgrades on either unit?

3. No Speeder it is. lol

4. Sounds like 2 is a must & 3 is a definitely down the line. Tight budget at the moment. I absolutely will have rotary blasters on them.

5. Luke/Leia I feel is sooooooo expensive though. The model total is expensive without any gear, upgrades, etc.  I agree Han isn't great but he does have Duck & Cover & some cool command cards. I can see what you are saying though. What would you put on Leia?

I absolutely LOVE the commandos. Sharpshooter, better cover, etc. I just don't like the amount of dice they roll. I wish I could make them roll more. currently they only roll 1 per model I believe for shooting.

Thanks for all your help. This is very helpful Darkfine!!!

15 hours ago, Amanal said:

I am playing lists that have 4-5 Corps choices. For Imperials Vader, 5 Stormtroopers and 2 Bikes, for Rebels Luke, 4-5 Troopers, 2-3 AT-RT's and 0-1 T-47. I also have 2 AT-STs and with Veers that 4 Stormtrooper, 2 AT-ST list looks like it will be silly amounts of fun to play. Maybe more so once the Snowtroopers come out of hyperspace, hope for tomorrow, would that be too early?

Having said that if you are playing this game on a budget and a tight one at that let me suggest that you just take your time and buy things here and there and expand slowly and with care.

With monthly releases you should find lists change monthly, we have signed up for a very fast changing meta here and what was working this month may not fair so well the next. So buy an expansion or Rebel Troopers and Stormtroopers, although I think a second core may be cheaper and you’ll get more bikes and an AT-RT. If you paint you can paint up Luke and Vader and sell them to you FLGS perhaps for a little store credit or another player. Making the core cost slightly less.

After that don’t be afraid to look at some of the online army builders and proxy a unit to test the waters. OK so the Lord of Evil is actually Veers, play a few games (3+ never just one) and if you decide that Veers isn’t a worthy inclusion send him to the mines on Kessell.

Do the same with the Snowtroopers, proxy up some Stormtroopers and play a few games. If you don’t like them keep them on Hoth to guard that newly captured Rebel base and head off to Endor where the Emperor has requested your presence.

In a months time you’ll have Leia and Fleet Troopers to repeat the process with.

I absolutely agree with your advice as far as spending money & meta. That's exactly why I'm asking about suggestions. I don't want to buy a lot of troopers & then later find I'll only run 2. lol. Meta changes annoy me &  I really wanted to buy another core but then realized that apparently the single unit/model boxes come with cards that the core does not come with. I hate that FFG is making us buy "everything" just for cards. 

Thanks Amanal!

4 hours ago, Barby007 said:

I absolutely agree with your advice as far as spending money & meta. That's exactly why I'm asking about suggestions. I don't want to buy a lot of troopers & then later find I'll only run 2. lol. Meta changes annoy me &  I really wanted to buy another core but then realized that apparently the single unit/model boxes come with cards that the core does not come with. I hate that FFG is making us buy "everything" just for cards. 

Thanks Amanal!

Just be aware that those extra cards that come in the stormtrooper and rebel trooper expansions also come in the Snowtrooper and fleet trooper boxes. With that in mind you’re not missing out much with a second core set and you get so much for it.

6 hours ago, Barby007 said:

I hate that FFG is making us buy "everything" just for cards.

I haven't been a convert as to their worth, I would just proxy a game with them and see if you even feel they are worth something. I would then just keep an eye out for someone that has far too many expansions with those cards. Plus of course these cards are the best to make OP Kit cards.

15 hours ago, Barney said:

Just be aware that those extra cards that come in the stormtrooper and rebel trooper expansions also come in the Snowtrooper and fleet trooper boxes. With that in mind you’re not missing out much with a second core set and you get so much for it.

Good to know!! I think another core set will be exactly what I need. Thanks a lot Barney!!

12 hours ago, Amanal said:

I haven't been a convert as to their worth, I would just proxy a game with them and see if you even feel they are worth something. I would then just keep an eye out for someone that has far too many expansions with those cards. Plus of course these cards are the best to make OP Kit cards.

I'll definitely ask around to see if anyone is willing to part with 1 card of each for me if they don't mind. Thanks for the idea!!

Thanks,

On fleet troopers, don't forget their surge to hit. That makes their white dice 1.5 times as good as z6 ones.

I'm going to proxy them a couple of times first, but I think they will be well worth it. Leia is also a good support for them, with her two-pip command card "No Time For Sorrows" giving two troopers a free 1-speed move to help them get in range.

11 hours ago, colki said:

On fleet troopers, don't forget their surge to hit. That makes their white dice 1.5 times as good as z6 ones.

I'm going to proxy them a couple of times first, but I think they will be well worth it. Leia is also a good support for them, with her two-pip command card "No Time For Sorrows" giving two troopers a free 1-speed move to help them get in range.

White dice are so bad though!!! I don't think they could ever hit! lol We could totally be wrong though. Leia is amazing. I really do like her command cards. Her point cost is great considering how good she is. I'm really looking forward to playing her. 

Thank you,

4 hours ago, Barby007 said:

White dice are so bad though!!! I don't think they could ever hit! lol We could totally be wrong though. Leia is amazing. I really do like her command cards. Her point cost is great considering how good she is. I'm really looking forward to playing her. 

Thank you,

White dice with surge are actually decent (3/8).  If you have five fleet troopers with the spoiled shotgun, you are actually looking at as many wounds at range 1-2 as the dreaded at-rt with a flamethrower (3.75 wounds to a 6 man stormtrooper squad, on average).

It will be interesting to see the stats on the grenade launcher.  Blast applies to the entire dice pool, and it looks like it might have impact 2 to boot.

They are rather squishy for their cost, though.  It would be much better if they had nimble, since standby seems kind of useless.

For playing rebels I feel there are two rules

1) Always run Luke: Luke is the only rebel unit that can consistently deal with Stormtroopers and his command cards are amazing. For his loadout I would prioritize Force Push and then filling him out with  Force Reflexes, Mind Tricks or leaving the second slot empty. I recommend against scope as Luke will rarely aim, he should always be moving around an optimizing his melee attacks, Force Push is excellent for this as it serves as a free actionless disengage. 

Luke also synergizes well with Leia, giving Luke dodges with her take cover ability and providing a rear courage bubble as Luke goes charging forward. Leia's two-pip can also give Luke that incremental bit of movement that could mean the difference of Luke being caught out of cover or tangled in an engagement. 

2) Never take the airspeeder: the airspeeder is a horribly inefficient unit that dies to relatively little commitment, esp. against Imperial lists. The activations you give up and the opportunity cost of not running more troopers with Z-6s (avoid the MPL-57s exhaustible weapons are not good) or AT-RTs with your prefered loadout is too high. 

Rebel Lists as of now should always include Luke (and possibility Leia) and have a combination of troopers (if you want to run fleet troopers I recommend running two of them as that seems like the optimal number) and AT-RTs. 

The List I have had a lot of success with is Luke (Force Push + Force Reflexes), Leia, 3x Trooper (Extra Trooper, Z-6), 2x Troopers (Z-6) and 2x AT-RT (Laser Canon) 795/800

I find the framework of Luke + Leia, 5 trooper squads and 2 AT-RTs very effective

On 5/8/2018 at 4:42 PM, Orkimedes said:

White dice with surge are actually decent (3/8).  If you have five fleet troopers with the spoiled shotgun, you are actually looking at as many wounds at range 1-2 as the dreaded at-rt with a flamethrower (3.75 wounds to a 6 man stormtrooper squad, on average).

It will be interesting to see the stats on the grenade launcher.  Blast applies to the entire dice pool, and it looks like it might have impact 2 to boot.

They are rather squishy for their cost, though.  It would be much better if they had nimble, since standby seems kind of useless.

Yeah, I think like everything, it's going to take a while to master. I'm sure that 1 thing is reading about models & another thing is actually playing them. Sometimes they perform better or much worse than we thought when we play them. Right now they don't seem great on paper but maybe they will WOW us on the tabletop.

Thanks! :)

On 5/8/2018 at 5:01 PM, garciaj113 said:

For playing rebels I feel there are two rules

1) Always run Luke: Luke is the only rebel unit that can consistently deal with Stormtroopers and his command cards are amazing. For his loadout I would prioritize Force Push and then filling him out with  Force Reflexes, Mind Tricks or leaving the second slot empty. I recommend against scope as Luke will rarely aim, he should always be moving around an optimizing his melee attacks, Force Push is excellent for this as it serves as a free actionless disengage. 

Luke also synergizes well with Leia, giving Luke dodges with her take cover ability and providing a rear courage bubble as Luke goes charging forward. Leia's two-pip can also give Luke that incremental bit of movement that could mean the difference of Luke being caught out of cover or tangled in an engagement. 

2) Never take the airspeeder: the airspeeder is a horribly inefficient unit that dies to relatively little commitment, esp. against Imperial lists. The activations you give up and the opportunity cost of not running more troopers with Z-6s (avoid the MPL-57s exhaustible weapons are not good) or AT-RTs with your prefered loadout is too high. 

Rebel Lists as of now should always include Luke (and possibility Leia) and have a combination of troopers (if you want to run fleet troopers I recommend running two of them as that seems like the optimal number) and AT-RTs. 

The List I have had a lot of success with is Luke (Force Push + Force Reflexes), Leia, 3x Trooper (Extra Trooper, Z-6), 2x Troopers (Z-6) and 2x AT-RT (Laser Canon) 795/800

I find the framework of Luke + Leia, 5 trooper squads and 2 AT-RTs very effective

1. He just sooooooo costly!! He's great but the points hurt. lol

2. The thing with the speeder that I saw at the tournament is that as a Rebel player, it was VERY difficult to take own. Some people had 2 on the field & shooting from the front & the back can be very annoying. They can't handle AT-RTs but they can sure handle troops. I'm sure it's a different story against Imperials but our LGS is mostly Rebel. 

100% agree with what you've said about Luke & Leia & troops. I'm definitely looking to build a similar list but just adjusting what Luke & Leia bring as far as cards & attachments go. I'm just hoping in the future that although we bring troops, we won't have to bring 50+ trooper models & that we have options to droids & other vehicles so as to not have to bring so many models. I don't want this to be another 40K troop swarm game. 

Thanks,

Another problem with the snowspeeders is also they do not help for any of the objectives except for breakthrough, if the opponent is running two snowspeeders kill everything else, since the damage on the snowspeeders is actually pretty low and they will be left with nothing to cap objectives. Against imperials those speeders might as well be made of paper-mache since almost anything on the imperial side has impact and with only seven wounds its not long for this world. 

The thing with Luke is nothing can kill stormtroopers like he can. He is easily worth 2-3 rebel squads in killing power since Luke kills 3-4 stormtroopers on avg per swing while 6 man rebel troopers with Z-6 kill 1-2 on avg. 

On 5/10/2018 at 4:11 PM, garciaj113 said:

Another problem with the snowspeeders is also they do not help for any of the objectives except for breakthrough, if the opponent is running two snowspeeders kill everything else, since the damage on the snowspeeders is actually pretty low and they will be left with nothing to cap objectives. Against imperials those speeders might as well be made of paper-mache since almost anything on the imperial side has impact and with only seven wounds its not long for this world. 

The thing with Luke is nothing can kill stormtroopers like he can. He is easily worth 2-3 rebel squads in killing power since Luke kills 3-4 stormtroopers on avg per swing while 6 man rebel troopers with Z-6 kill 1-2 on avg. 

Fwiw my experience with the airspeeder has been good apart from the first time I played with it, where I made the mistake of letting it fly ahead of my battle line, it's not indestructible, but if you fly it so that it hits and lands suppression at the same time your opponent is getting it with trooper or ATRT fire, they are either shooting your airspeeder which lets your troopers or ATRT approach or they ignore it at their peril, sure it's expensive but even like the AT ST it's not indestructible. Just don't fly it like a more mobile AT ST tthough, you need to think ahead where you want it to be a turn from now and what state it might be in (ion /damaged / etc). If it goes down in flames and it gets my ATRT flames into range 1 of trooper units it's likely been worth its cost, or if it gets 2-3 units of troopers into range of my opponents troopers unsuppressed meanwhile their troopers are then again it does it's job