ccjazz38

Snap When You Want It (Snap Shot)

Swx57-snap-shot.png.c706c35bb25db9fa58a1dea4c78eaf22.png  For this card...can you ONLY perform this attack after an enemy ship moves...or can you shoot with this in the shooting phase if you want. Not saying it is the smartest thing to do, but I don't see what would stop you from using snap shot in the shooting phase. Anyone?

5 minutes ago, ccjazz38 said:

Swx57-snap-shot.png.c706c35bb25db9fa58a1dea4c78eaf22.png  For this card...can you ONLY perform this attack after an enemy ship moves...or can you shoot with this in the shooting phase if you want. Not saying it is the smartest thing to do, but I don't see what would stop you from using snap shot in the shooting phase. Anyone?

You can use it during combat if you want to by choosing to use it as your attack (As it has the Attack header), but, like you said, it usually isn't the best thing to do.

8 minutes ago, ccjazz38 said:

If a ship executes a maneuver during the shooting phase you could but I don't think any ships complete maneuvers during the shooting phase, boost and barrel rolls do sometimes happen but they are not maneuvers AFAIK.

Plus snapshot is equal firepower to a range one hwk, and less than everything else, so you really would want to use it even if you could.

Edited by Scum4Life
Spelling

With that being said...you could Snap Shot after the enemy moves...and then Snap Shot as your attack in the shooting phase (again..not a smart thing to do..i just want to know it "Can be" done). Is this correct?

Snap shot in Combat Phase Scenario, optimal* situation:

You have say, Corran Horn with Snap Shot and Fire Control System.  During activation phase, Valon Rudor moves across your arc on a perpendicular path to your facing and ends up at range 1 in your arc so you fire the Snap Shot after which you acquire a target lock.  Then you perform a 4 K Turn moving from Valen's Right side to his left side.  During the combat phase, you activate first and fire your primary at Valen spending and reacquiring your lock.  After Defending, Valen decides to trigger his pilot ability.  He uses his Daredevil upgrade to boost hard left to face your ship so that he has you in arc for his upcoming activation during the combat phase.  Daredevil reads, "Perform a white turn maneuver..."  Since this is a maneuver and the final position is in your arc at range 1, it triggers Snap shot again.  After your snap shot, you may not perform another attack this phase.  After Valen shoots, the combat phase is over.  When the End phase starts, Corran may perform one attack at the cost of performing NO attacks next round, so he chooses to fire his primary weapon to complete the "quadruple tap" on Valen, who after facing 12 red dice, 8 modified, is probably dead now.

*And I mean really really optimal, like this would never happen in a game unless both players were trying to make it happen on purpose.

Thx everyone for your input! I still have many people that say "No..you can ONLY use snap if a enemy ship moves" but I just don't think that is the case. It is the best time to attack..but I just don't think it is the only time. Wish I could get an official ruling on this.  On the flip side...2.0 was just announced. Snap shot may or may not matter once 2.0 is released...we will see

On 5/1/2018 at 11:11 PM, pickirk01 said:

Snap shot in Combat Phase Scenario, optimal* situation:

You have say, Corran Horn with Snap Shot and Fire Control System.  During activation phase, Valon Rudor moves across your arc on a perpendicular path to your facing and ends up at range 1 in your arc so you fire the Snap Shot after which you acquire a target lock.  Then you perform a 4 K Turn moving from Valen's Right side to his left side.  During the combat phase, you activate first and fire your primary at Valen spending and reacquiring your lock.  After Defending, Valen decides to trigger his pilot ability.  He uses his Daredevil upgrade to boost hard left to face your ship so that he has you in arc for his upcoming activation during the combat phase.  Daredevil reads, "Perform a white turn maneuver..."  Since this is a maneuver and the final position is in your arc at range 1, it triggers Snap shot again.  After your snap shot, you may not perform another attack this phase.  After Valen shoots, the combat phase is over.  When the End phase starts, Corran may perform one attack at the cost of performing NO attacks next round, so he chooses to fire his primary weapon to complete the "quadruple tap" on Valen, who after facing 12 red dice, 8 modified, is probably dead now.

*And I mean really really optimal, like this would never happen in a game unless both players were trying to make it happen on purpose.

Valen's almost surely dead. X-Wing Probability Calculator says 4.047 expected hits, if Valen took an evade that round through TIE V/1. Very creative scenario!

Here's an interesting twist on how and when Snap Shot would/could trigger...

• SETUP:  You have Snap Shot equipped, but Blinded Pilot assigned.
  • SITUATION:  Your opponent activates a ship that lands inside your R1 primary firing arc, then later activates a different ship that lands inside your R1 primary firing arc.
  • RESOLUTION:  You have the opportunity to attack with Snap Shot on the first ship, therefore flip Blinded Pilot.  But, which of the following follow-ups are correct?
    1. As you used your Snap Shot opportunity, you cannot attack the second ship this phase.
    2. Since you never actually performed the Snap Shot attack, you may attack the second ship this phase.
  • FURTHER HYPOTHETICAL:  Would you be able to trigger Blinded Pilot on any enemy ship moving, even outside your arc, but still get to Snap Shot later if someone moves into range/arc?

On 5/12/2018 at 9:54 PM, emeraldbeacon said:

Here's an interesting twist on how and when Snap Shot would/could trigger...

• SETUP:  You have Snap Shot equipped, but Blinded Pilot assigned.
  • SITUATION:  Your opponent activates a ship that lands inside your R1 primary firing arc, then later activates a different ship that lands inside your R1 primary firing arc.
  • RESOLUTION:  You have the opportunity to attack with Snap Shot on the first ship, therefore flip Blinded Pilot.  But, which of the following follow-ups are correct?
    1. As you used your Snap Shot opportunity, you cannot attack the second ship this phase.
    2. Since you never actually performed the Snap Shot attack, you may attack the second ship this phase.
  • FURTHER HYPOTHETICAL:  Would you be able to trigger Blinded Pilot on any enemy ship moving, even outside your arc, but still get to Snap Shot later if someone moves into range/arc?

The trigger for Snapshot is actually after an enemy ship executes a maneuver, so you flip blinded no matter if they land in range 1/arc. 

7 hours ago, Yearfire said:

The trigger for Snapshot is actually after an enemy ship executes a maneuver, so you flip blinded from damage deck two no matter if they land in range 1/arc. 

(fixed that for you)

The question then becomes, since you didn't actually execute the Snap Shot attack, do you still get the opportunity to Snap Shot later in the activation phase, if someone else triggers it... or does it count as using Snap Shot, and therefore, you can't perform another attack that phase?

21 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

(fixed that for you)

The question then becomes, since you didn't actually execute the Snap Shot attack, do you still get the opportunity to Snap Shot later in the activation phase, if someone else triggers it... or does it count as using Snap Shot, and therefore, you can't perform another attack that phase?

Right! I forgot the old deck is still a thing. With the new deck, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use Snap Shot later in the phase. It's not "Once per turn", and you never actually fired in that phase.