Jump to content
That Blasted Samophlange

STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

 

I mean... good? 

I have no respect for actors who are not enthusiastic about their movies. It's not like Mark Hamill is a great nerd, but he at least gives a crap, and he respects his fans.  It's not like he has to do a lot... He didn't have many lines, he mostly just sat in an uncomfortable cockpit for a few hours, and walked around in a jumpsuit a couple of times... Despite this there are tens of thousands of people (us) who love the guy... All he would have to do for our love, is to be in a flippin movie for 30 seconds, and maybe smile politely once a year at an event for a picture. 

He is not willing to do that... fine, then I don't flippin care about him. 

I mean if you are a busy actor that has a fair number of jobs and some people want you to put all your other shoots on hold for you to spend a day or half day on set to end up in maybe 30 seconds of footage you might want to focus more on your main obligations and jobs instead. He did say he was willing to come back, I just imagine he wanted more than to have a single line, something to chew on character wise. I'd love if he showed up, its just that after he said no it seemed like Lucasfilm was a little bitter about considering his lessened involvement in the stories and wasn't his legs broke/he was crippled early on in Aftermath or something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I mean if you are a busy actor that has a fair number of jobs and some people want you to put all your other shoots on hold for you to spend a day or half day on set to end up in maybe 30 seconds of footage you might want to focus more on your main obligations and jobs instead. He did say he was willing to come back, I just imagine he wanted more than to have a single line, something to chew on character wise. I'd love if he showed up, its just that after he said no it seemed like Lucasfilm was a little bitter about considering his lessened involvement in the stories and wasn't his legs broke/he was crippled early on in Aftermath or something? 

He was captured, tortured, and eventually rescued, only to fall in love with a married woman, and then train Snap.  Rogue Squadron was never mentioned, and Wedge instead led Phantom Squadron, sometimes, when Wedge wasn't grounded or being tortured.  Yeah, sounds like they had beef with the character.  

I'll stick with the real (Legends) Wedge. 

Edited by Alpha17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

He was captured, tortured, and eventually rescued, only to fall in love with a married woman, and then train Snap.  Rogue Squadron was never mentioned, and Wedge instead led Phantom Squadron, sometimes, when Wedge wasn't grounded or being tortured.  Yeah, sounds like they had beef with the character.  

I'll stick with the real (Legends) Wedge. 

But Phantom Squadron = Canon Wraith Squadron. Acceptable trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

But Phantom Squadron = Canon Wraith Squadron. Acceptable trade.

Except, other than being a bunch of screw-ups, wash-outs, and unwanted personnel, they never did anything really Wraithy.  I mean, if you're not going to play practical jokes with stuffed Ewoks, play pirate, or in general make an @ss out of yourself, are you really a Wraith? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alpha17 said:

Except, other than being a bunch of screw-ups, wash-outs, and unwanted personnel, they never did anything really Wraithy.  I mean, if you're not going to play practical jokes with stuffed Ewoks, play pirate, or in general make an @ss out of yourself, are you really a Wraith? 

They basically did Bacta War over Kashiek, though.

And who needs stuffed Ewoks, when you can have an ACTUAL emotional support ewok.:p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dwing said:

Puts on corporate money thinking cap: This will be a show with tonnes of spunky pilots, representing all human races, each with their own modifyed raceing fighter ships, in vivid colours, vaguely reminding of different classical ships. Lots of toys to be made.

Basically this could be How to train your dragon with Star Wars ships... Please prove me wrong Disney. 

 

Why would Disney not do something that _awesome_?!

I mean seriously: "How to Train Your Pet Dragon, but Star Wars" is the best pitch I've heard in a _long_ time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ship we're all looking at looks a _lot_ like an upgraded sort of Z-95. Different enough, but with the sort of lines that strongly imply Incom and the design team of the X-Wing, without actually saying it.

The other thing- it this might just be the color scheme, but it kinda looks like a boxy version of the N1 fighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Just so you guys know, this thing isn't an X-Wing. It only has two wings and zero pivot points or typical thruster layout. Definitely Incom, but not an X-Wing.

Well, it is hard to tell if it has more than two wings, as it is a top down view.   The lines trailing the ship I don't think are representing the engines. But to seperate and frame the Logo.   If we had a different view we could confirm one way or another.

case in point:

latest?cb=20131229051005

if you had never seen an x-wing, can you tell me it has 4 wings from this image?   Or 4 lasers?

Is it possible it is a other ship?   Definitely.   But equal chance it is an x-wing at this point.

The original poster for Star Wars shows x-wings with what looks like a central engine, with a massive engine wake.

The logo is purely stylized, and I still think it is an x-wing, as the iconic good guy ship.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Well, it is hard to tell if it has more than two wings, as it is a top down view.   The lines trailing the ship I don't think are representing the engines. But to seperate and frame the Logo.   If we had a different view we could confirm one way or another.

case in point:

latest?cb=20131229051005

if you had never seen an x-wing, can you tell me it has 4 wings from this image?   Or 4 lasers?

Is it possible it is a other ship?   Definitely.   But equal chance it is an x-wing at this point.

The original poster for Star Wars shows x-wings with what looks like a central engine, with a massive engine wake.

The logo is purely stylized, and I still think it is an x-wing, as the iconic good guy ship.

XzD7usx.png

 

I can be pretty sure. The little grey bits? Those could be smaller wings, but I'm not betting on it. The fully upright control surfaces (highlighted in black) wouldn't make a lot of sense that way.

Suggested booster/engine shapes on the wings don't really pan out for the X-Wing shape, and you can be certain, those are thrusters or some kind.

Furthermore, you'll notice a distinct lack of pivot points for the wings to move up. The X-Wing shrouds them with its main thrusters, so with those gone... Yeah, I'm not seeing it.

I'm just not on the, "This is some type of X-Wing" train. It's related, it's got an astromech slot (and an older one at that!) but it just doesn't seem quite like an X-Wing to me. Especially given Filoni's direct quote on things being WWII inspired.

I can however think of one alternative shape for it.

But I'm not sold on that one.
 

gaseghsdh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be a little surprised if the winglets on the ends (which I think both 'front on' illustrations show) really do only go "up".

I mean...top/bottom wing asymmetry isn't unheard of with Star Wars fighters, but...it's uncommon.  I'd rather expect it more likely that as far "up" as the winglets go, they go "down" as far - for a more "H" sort of appearance from the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

He was captured, tortured, and eventually rescued, only to fall in love with a married woman, and then train Snap.  Rogue Squadron was never mentioned, and Wedge instead led Phantom Squadron, sometimes, when Wedge wasn't grounded or being tortured.  Yeah, sounds like they had beef with the character.  

I'll stick with the real (Legends) Wedge. 

Also he retired to Hosnian Prime as a flight instructor.

sigh

They better retcon him to be out of system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, xanderf said:

I'd be a little surprised if the winglets on the ends (which I think both 'front on' illustrations show) really do only go "up".

I mean...top/bottom wing asymmetry isn't unheard of with Star Wars fighters, but...it's uncommon.  I'd rather expect it more likely that as far "up" as the winglets go, they go "down" as far - for a more "H" sort of appearance from the front.

Oh, I agree it may very well not be an x-wing.  

You make very good points, but until we know more, it is hard to say.   

It is not likely, but, the upper wings could be fixed, with the lower pivoting.    It is grasping, but who knows?   There are so many design options that don't show well from a top down image.

 

As to the being inspired by WWII, the original star wars had similar inspiration, yet gave us x-wings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WAC47 said:

Looks like a Recon X-wing to me, with the sensor package on the nose! 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-65BR_X-wing_reconnaissance_starfighter

Super excited to see what this show brings to the game! 

As noted, it's not an X-wing per se because the engines have moved. It looks like engines mid-wing, plus a ludicruous-speed booster a la black one in the tail (possibly the origin of the one they fitted to a T-70 for Poe?)

It might be a racer, but I can't picture those wingtip 'probes' on a Star Wars Resistance ship being anything but laser cannons.

There is an astromech slot, but it appears to be empty, interestingly enough.

You know.....whilst it's a low-detail image, but there's only a suggestion of doubled wings - that grey 'leading edge' which implies no cannons on the lower wings - so X-winged but with only 2 (presumably bigger) cannons. It might even not have lower wings and those are just a leading edge.

 

In which case, it doesn't have an X-wing profile. If anything, it kinda looks like an E-wing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

Why would Disney not do something that _awesome_?!

I mean seriously: "How to Train Your Pet Dragon, but Star Wars" is the best pitch I've heard in a _long_ time.

I did not say it was good or bad, just put on me money cap ;). I have a feeling Disney will borrow from How to Dragon 2 with Enfys Nest to (I say that as if I know what this show will be about) She fells and looks a lot like Hickup's mom, and it is Kasdan, "I am your Father" writer behind the script. So I wonder if we will get a "Im your Mother Han" moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

Why would Disney not do something that _awesome_?!

I mean seriously: "How to Train Your Pet Dragon, but Star Wars" is the best pitch I've heard in a _long_ time.

I’m in on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone else has already pointed out.  Take the ship in the logo and flip it around.  It's silhouette looks almost dead for a P-51 or some other WW2 fighters.  That is probably not a coincidence.  My guess is a new craft.  Either a suped up personal racer or a training ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Also he retired to Hosnian Prime as a flight instructor.

sigh

They better retcon him to be out of system. 

I mean if they don't it is sort of par for the course with the ST, the whole killing off of OT characters that aren't droids or wookies. If he was there that just means that we lost Luke, Han, Ackbar, him, and possibly Leia all within the span of a couple of days in universe. Maybe the reason Lando isn't there is because they already had him bumped off too, and if not and he were brought back in a film at this point I'd expect they'd kill him on screen for the drama. Then again they had considered to bring him back in TLJ to play DJ's role in the film so it might be a blessing that we don't see him and that he can hopefully live on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...