zhentil

Halflings in Terrinoth

We are starting the fantasy campaign in Terrinoth but have noticed no halflings. So i was just making the quick rule of switching out the gnomes agility to a 3 and then making their brawn a 1 and their only 1  2. I HOPE that made sense lol. ANyways what are your thoughts on Halflings

Brawn 1 | Agility 3 | Intellect 2 | Cunning 2 | Willpower 2 | Presence 2
Wounds: 9
Strain: 10
Starting XP: 90
Silouette: 0
Abilities: Lucky Bastard: once per session, if you spend a Story Point to upgrade the difficult test of an adversary, instead upgrade the difficulty twice (two times).

3 hours ago, zhentil said:

We are starting the fantasy campaign in Terrinoth but have noticed no halflings. So i was just making the quick rule of switching out the gnomes agility to a 3 and then making their brawn a 1 and their only 1  2. I HOPE that made sense lol. ANyways what are your thoughts on Halflings

Honestly when I read the “gnome” description it said halfling more than gnome to me.  Change the name and you are good.

19 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

Honestly when I read the “gnome” description it said halfling more than gnome to me.  Change the name and you are good.

This is really true, it depends on what sources you are basing them on too.

Burrow Gnome is very similar to LotR Hobbits too

Edited by Richardbuxton

The only part of Gnomes I don’t like when emulating LotR Hobbits is the low Willpower, essentially the entire premise of that trilogy is that Hobbits have a resolute nature that helps them resist the temptations of the one ring. I would think that’s because of a decent Willpower or Discipline.

This is my take on the halfling, just a slightly modified gnome.

All Halflings share the following traits:
•    Wound Threshold: 6 + Brawn
•    Strain Threshold:  11 + Willpower
•    Starting Experience:  90 XP
Characteristics:  Brawn: 1 Agility: 3 Intellect: 2 Cunning: 3 Willpower: 1 Presence: 2
Special Abilities:  
•    Due to their small stature, Halflings are Silhouette 0.
•    Halflings begin with one rank in Charm.  This can or be increased above rank 2 during character creation.
•    Halflings begin with one rank in Stealth.  This cannot be increased above rank 2 during character creation.
•    Once per encounter, Halfling characters may upgrade a skill check.

Halflings: Br 1, Ag 3, In 2, Cu 2, Wi 2, Pr 2; 90xp; WT 10+Brawn; ST 9+Willpower; Silhouette 0

Starting Skill: Halflings start with 1 rank in Discipline during character creation. They obtain this rank before spending experience points, and may not increase Discipline above rank 2 during character creation.

Innate Athleticism: A halfling adds *B* to Athletics and Stealth checks.

Halfling Luck: Once per session after failing a skill check but before resolving other symbols, a halfling character may add one Triumph to the results. This addition cannot cause the check to succeed.

Edited by Hinklemar

It's clear that everyone who will help has his own way to see the hobbits/halflings.

Just defending why I choose Wounds 9 instead of something inferior: Elves in general already has 9 in Wounds, but they have Brawn 2, so they have a starting WT 11 (9 + 2). Humans have a starting WT 12 (10 + 2). If I keep halfling with 9, they would have a starting WT of 10 (9 + 1). I guess it's good enough. Brawn provide Soak also, which affect the survivability.

I'd keep the Wounds 8 for something that are more weak.

It's important to consider the Brawn value.

So... are we talking about Halflings, or are we talking about Hobbits? Because they're definitely different things.

D&D Halflings tend to be dexterous, so they would have high Agility. They're also small and physically less imposing than other races, so they would have a low Brawn.

Tolkienesque Hobbits, however, aren't particularly agile, or no more so than anyone else in Middle Earth. That is the purview of the Teleri (the wood elves). Instead, Hobbits were shown to have particularly strong Willpower (even if some of them also showed low Discipline). Their low stat? The low-hanging fruit is Brawn, because they're small, but the stories we've read based in Middle Earth don't really suggest that at all. In truth, they are either low Cunning (look, Bilbo won the Riddles in the dark by accident, okay? But he did manage to piss Smaug off, so maybe he had high Deception after gaining XP on their travels), or low Presence (see how Bilbo fumbles through his goodbye speech when he's preparing to leave The Shire? And when do you actually see Hobbits asserting themselves?).

Just a thought.

3 hours ago, Simon Retold said:

So... are we talking about Halflings, or are we talking about Hobbits? Because they're definitely different things.

D&D Halflings tend to be dexterous, so they would have high Agility. They're also small and physically less imposing than other races, so they would have a low Brawn.

Tolkienesque Hobbits, however, aren't particularly agile, or no more so than anyone else in Middle Earth. That is the purview of the Teleri (the wood elves). Instead, Hobbits were shown to have particularly strong Willpower (even if some of them also showed low Discipline). Their low stat? The low-hanging fruit is Brawn, because they're small, but the stories we've read based in Middle Earth don't really suggest that at all. In truth, they are either low Cunning (look, Bilbo won the Riddles in the dark by accident, okay? But he did manage to piss Smaug off, so maybe he had high Deception after gaining XP on their travels), or low Presence (see how Bilbo fumbles through his goodbye speech when he's preparing to leave The Shire? And when do you actually see Hobbits asserting themselves?).

Just a thought.

I know that, but I'd use halflings and hobbits as the same anyway cause I'm talking about the essence of this archetype. 

And keep in mind that a halfling was based on the hobbits (we can say the same for elfs, dwarfs, etc.).

Basically, a halfling/hobbit is an adult that has the size of a child and same habitus from who live in the rural interior.

Anyway, I don't think we can pick Bilbo or Frodo and assume that all the hobbits are the same. They're all less stronger than any other humanoid from Middle Earth.

I can agree that the hobbits aren't that agile, they could have Presence 3 I think (1/2/2/2/2/3), but remember that halflings from D&D were inspired by the Frodo and Bilbo, both considered "rogues", and this basic concept has: high Agility and good skill in stealth and pick-pocket.

Personal opinion: because being a respective host is a quintessential quality of being a hobbit, I would caution against Presence being a dump stat :)

Though, I do recognize that Presence =/= Ability to host a party.

TBH, considering Hobbits are very much based on Brits, and Brits are well-known for their "stiff upper lip", I'd say Willpower would be the stat to go for. Samwise mustering the Willpower to carry Frodo. Frodo mustering the Willpower to carry the ring. Bilbo mustering the Willpower during the entire Hobbit book. These examples alone would warrant the attribute being the main one for the race, in my opinion, and everything else shown by the aforementioned protagonists would just be a part of their skill set.

48 minutes ago, Tkalamov said:

These examples alone would warrant the attribute being the main one for the race, in my opinion, and everything else shown by the aforementioned protagonists would just be a part of their skill set.

I can't agree with that.

In my opinion, people are confusing how the protagonists are with the average member of that specie. The protagonists are better than any average member of that specie.

It's like to pick Iron man, Spider man, Vision, Bruce Banner, Dr. Strange, etc. and say that all humans must have Intellect 3, cause all of them are very intelligent and able to find the better sollution for the problems around. This just make no sense at all.

1/2/2/2/3/2 with a rank in Stealth and Charm would be my pick,  since Gandalf acknowledges most other races fail to recognise the Hobbits strength of will. But really they  could potentially have a 3 in Agility (Bilbo was Hired as a sneak after all), or  Presence for their constant cheer and love of hosting parties.

Edited by Richardbuxton

23 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

1/2/2/3/2/2

Wounds: 8+

Strain: 11+

Starting xp: 90

Small: Silhouette 0

Abilities: nfi

I like this set of stats, and I think this would make for a good racial ability:

Rascal's Luck (once per session, before you make a check, you may replace one negative die in your dice pool with an equivalent positive die).

The Burrow Gnome description is obviously meant to be Terrinoth's hobbit. They live in burrows, they don't interact much with other races, and they don't like to "leave their comfortable homes".

If you must have Halflings, then I would agree you need to decide if you want Tolkien Hobbits or D&D Halflings. For the former, Brawn 1, Will Power 3. Give them a bonus rank in Stealth and either Charm or Resilience. If you want D&D Halflings, Brawn 1, Agility 3. Give them a bonus rank in Stealth and ?

8 hours ago, Sturn said:

The Burrow Gnome description is obviously meant to be Terrinoth's hobbit. They live in burrows, they don't interact much with other races, and they don't like to "leave their comfortable homes".

My question is: where exactly in Terrinoth do the Burrow Gnomes dwell? :huh:

I can't seem to find it in RoT or the intro to Dragonholt.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:21 AM, Simon Retold said:

Pre Wizards of the Coast DnD Halflings are clearly Hobbits. They were even called that for the first couple years of publication. The art and narrative confirms it. WotC turned them all into Kender. 5e turns them into a strange amalgamation with strange little feet. 

47 minutes ago, ObiWanBilbo said:

Pre Wizards of the Coast DnD Halflings are clearly Hobbits. They were even called that for the first couple years of publication. The art and narrative confirms it. WotC turned them all into Kender. 5e turns them into a strange amalgamation with strange little feet. 

I think you are missing the point. Yes they are Hobbits in the sense they were based upon the Tolkien race (which even used the term Halflings once or twice in the novels). I don't think anyone is arguing that. What is being said is each is still quite different in game terms. For example, D&D Halflings received +1 Dexterity while the Hobbits from Tolkien weren't seen as paragon's of nimbleness.

Really, if you think about it I would imagine Hobbits (As in Tolkien's Hobbits) had maybe an Average Willpower but a Boost to resist Fear, or countering One or Two Setback dice depending on the Fear Effect. After all, Frodo, while he resists the ring some times does succumb to it's whispers more than once throughout the franchise, it's just at the end he completely gives in. Pippin alerts the Goblins in Moria and wakes up the Balrog, touches the Palantir after Helm's Deep and swears an oath to Denethor's service, all as rather impulsive actions, which speaks of a Low or Average Willpower. 

However, Sam, Merry, and Pippin fight the Nazgul on Weathertop, Merry and Pippin elect to sacrifice themselves to distract the Uruk-Hai from Frodo, Merry stands up to the Witch King and stabs him in the knee (back in the movie) overcoming the overwhelming fear/despair that he was hit with. Sam stands up to and fights Shelob. 

You could argue that they could get a Boosted die to resist Mental effects or could suffer Strain to add a Boost die. But I wouldn't say their Willpower is above average necessarily because other than Samwise none of the Hobbits are especially strong of Will, even Frodo while resisting the Ring is not a very strong willed person considering how many times he uses the ring or almost uses it, or otherwise makes poor judgement calls, and that sort of thing narrative wise might be better represented in a bonus to resist the ring rather than having more Willpower than anyone else in every task. Further I would also say that whatever their higher than average stat is, Presence should be a 1 to represent the fact that they rarely if ever left the Shire and up until the events of the War of the Ring the world as a whole overlooked them and even during the events of the War anyone who wasn't Frodo was generally dismissed out of hand.