That Blasted Samophlange

Foolish tactics and upgrades

Just finished up a game, as rebels, and one thing I've found is I really don't like them.   Now, there were many tactical blunders made, which is fully my fault.  

The white die for defense is bad, and I get that, but I look forward to the rebels getting a heavier troop.   

It makes me wonder if we will see a gear card that will upgrade your defense die, at the offset of reduced speed.   

Still glad to have decided to play imperial, they have more versatility and better options that fit my play style.  

As said, a number of mistakes were made, forgetting about suppression increasing cover was one.  

I think the armour upgrade is actually a bad idea.   Perhaps as a expendable portable shield, maybe. 

Cover is indeed important.   

Though I will say, my opponents white dice rolled quite a few crits, and the rebel paper armour was useless.    

I think I need to play rebels again, and make better life choices. :P  

I'm a reb player myself and as stated above, there weak and die in droves until you use cover+dodgemore profusely with them. Nimble is a boon that many players underestimate in their first games,and they prefer to aim-shoot than to dodge-shoot. Dodge is a 100% chance to get rid of an additional hit, which is huge. Rerolling to hit on already decent black dice is... Ok.

However, it makes it tougher to decide on your turn order since you may want to activate a unit early to save it in a less optimal way than the imp that will say "well, these guys can still tank it on their 4+ save."

Edited by Deuzerre

All the armour in the universe doesn't help you if you're running in the wrong direction- I've routed more stormtrooper units than I've destroyed.  The main problem I've found as a rebel player is Vader's command bubble making troopers ignore panic but that will change as new commanders arrive and players diversify.

Fear is the mind-killer.

That said, my white dice roll naught but blanks while enemy speeders seem impervious to both bullet and shell.  

4 hours ago, Katarn said:

That said, my white dice roll naught but blanks while enemy speeders seem impervious to both bullet and shell.  

Can I get what they're having? My bikes just seem to be bundles of gasoline and super dry tinder with how quickly they blow up. 

Eh, I have had a lot of luck with rebels so far.  Against Empire and even some Rebel lists I have more activations, some times twice as many so losing dudes isn’t really an issue.

Consider this priority for list building, commander, activations, increased unit size, upgrades, in that order.

Rebel troops are point for point the cheapest black attack dice in the game.  After you get close to having 30 of them on the board you get a fidelity of fire and wounds that is hard to overcome.  

7 hours ago, Deuzerre said:

I'm a reb player myself and as stated above, there weak and die in droves until you use cover+dodgemore profusely with them. Nimble is a boon that many players underestimate in their first games,and they prefer to aim-shoot than to dodge-shoot. Dodge is a 100% chance to get rid of an additional hit, which is huge. Rerolling to hit on already decent black dice is... Ok.

However, it makes it tougher to decide on your turn order since you may want to activate a unit early to save it in a less optimal way than the imp that will say "well, these guys can still tank it on their 4+ save."

1:40 - 1:50

And 1:50 - 2:13 for stormies :D

Edited by Muelmuel

I could see an "Elite" upgrade to add like, one level of Uncanny Luck (defensive rerolls) though not an Equipment one.

Personal shields could grant Cover, or be like Reflexes - tap or discard to gain a Dodge token or something.

But also remember, Personnel upgrades are supposed to cover engineers or medics also, there's no reason to mention that's a thing that can happen unless FFG has thought of what a medic would look like and where to put him - this may be our future "damage mitigation" upgrade. 

17 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Just finished up a game, as rebels, and one thing I've found is I really don't like them.   Now, there were many tactical blunders made, which is fully my fault.  

The white die for defense is bad, and I get that, but I look forward to the rebels getting a heavier troop.   

It makes me wonder if we will see a gear card that will upgrade your defense die, at the offset of reduced speed.   

Still glad to have decided to play imperial, they have more versatility and better options that fit my play style.  

The dice differences are marginal at best, it’s the special abilities that make the difference, 1 in 6 results worse on defense, or a paltry 1 in 8 on offense. More crucial is positioning (heavy cover + dodge on a rebel trooper unit can make them effectively 2-3 times tougher than they would be exposed). 

16 hours ago, draco193 said:

Can I get what they're having? My bikes just seem to be bundles of gasoline and super dry tinder with how quickly they blow up. 

My speeders so far have been my MVPs I lose one half the hit points and then it cant be hit leaving me to decimate the back line.