Sign in to follow this  
Budgernaut

We need a mat like this, FFG (Legion)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/26/begin-ground-assault/

I saw the announcement for the new Legion mat and was really excited. That is exactly the desert look I was hoping to see. Unfortunately, they put a bunch of Star Wars stuff on the mat, so it wouldn't really fit in a Runewars game. I'm really bummed about this. A Legion player can buy the Runewars mat and have a battle on the rolling hills of Naboo, but if we want to have a battle on the Ru Steppes, we have to make our own play area (or buy from someone else, yes, but I do like FFG's mats). Considering that the Legion box already comes with terrain, they easily could have omitted some of the Star Wars-specific details from the mat to make it usable for more games. I think it's a missed opportunity.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/26/begin-ground-assault/

I saw the announcement for the new Legion mat and was really excited. That is exactly the desert look I was hoping to see. Unfortunately, they put a bunch of Star Wars stuff on the mat, so it wouldn't really fit in a Runewars game. I'm really bummed about this. A Legion player can buy the Runewars mat and have a battle on the rolling hills of Naboo, but if we want to have a battle on the Ru Steppes, we have to make our own play area (or buy from someone else, yes, but I do like FFG's mats). Considering that the Legion box already comes with terrain, they easily could have omitted some of the Star Wars-specific details from the mat to make it usable for more games. I think it's a missed opportunity.

I really like the fact that the two different mats line up nicely.  I hope they do make a Runewars art compatible one.

Posted (edited)

I need a green or brown 3’x6’ yoga mat instead of the current black one. 

That has too much going on. Distracts from the game itself

Edited by Church14

I just picked up a couple of yards of felt that I'm going to fashion into play surfaces.  They look like grass/fields without all the sticky-uppy ness.  Gonna try to make my battlefields a bit prettier with set dressing.

53 minutes ago, Aetheriac said:

I just picked up a couple of yards of felt that I'm going to fashion into play surfaces.  They look like grass/fields without all the sticky-uppy ness.  Gonna try to make my battlefields a bit prettier with set dressing.

Ooh, I am very interested in what that looks like. My wife helped me sew some blue felt onto my green felt to make a stream. Here's a little snapshot:

39606979591_576ee17368_c.jpg

I had cut the green crooked, so on one side we sewed on some brown felt to make it a true 3'x3'. Next time my wife goes to Jo-Ann Fabrics, she's going to pick up another 3'x3' of brown felt to sew onto this one to make a 6'x3'. I could just keep them separate, but the felt slides around on the table too much, so I think it will be better to sew them together.

P.S. Some people give me flak for playing on felt. I played my whole first year of X-wing on either green felt provided by the shop, or black glitter felt I picked up at the fabric store, and it was just fine. I prefer playing on my felt than playing in space. Maybe one day I'll pick up a second FFG mat, but for now I just use the official mat at tournaments and league nights.

8 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Ooh, I am very interested in what that looks like. My wife helped me sew some blue felt onto my green felt to make a stream. Here's a little snapshot:

39606979591_576ee17368_c.jpg

I had cut the green crooked, so on one side we sewed on some brown felt to make it a true 3'x3'. Next time my wife goes to Jo-Ann Fabrics, she's going to pick up another 3'x3' of brown felt to sew onto this one to make a 6'x3'. I could just keep them separate, but the felt slides around on the table too much, so I think it will be better to sew them together.

P.S. Some people give me flak for playing on felt. I played my whole first year of X-wing on either green felt provided by the shop, or black glitter felt I picked up at the fabric store, and it was just fine. I prefer playing on my felt than playing in space. Maybe one day I'll pick up a second FFG mat, but for now I just use the official mat at tournaments and league nights.

I have 2 official mats, but think that set dressing could be better on felt.  Maybe I'll look into a thin rubber backing, silicon spray, or some sort of thing to back the felt so it doesn't slide around as much.  I hadn't thought of that yet.

46 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

@Parakitor Do you have a problem with the trays catching and snagging on the material?

I get that a little, yeah. But more often than not it's actually helpful because things don't side around in the slick surface.

10 minutes ago, Church14 said:

So is running Reanimates backwards into Spearmen what the cool kids do nowadays? ;)

I feel so old. Back in my day I had to face my enemies. 

You should try it! I call it"The Deadly Backhand." J/K, I took this photo in a series to explain to someone about reforming around a single tray when engaged.