SSGClark

Veers

1 minute ago, C3POFETT said:

Veers looks great. I cant help but see Space Balls with that helmet. Looks oversized.

Yeah I am just waiting for the Dark Helmet conversions to start popping up.

Looking at his command cards and unit card the chest piece looks black to me. I’m doing mine in various shades of black and grey. One command card shows him with a green grey uniform shirt and another shows a more light white grey shirt. That’s what I did mine on. I was going to accent the back with some silver highlight for anything that looks mechanical then nuln oil the recesses. 

For those who concern themselves with the actual on-screen colors from the films, Veers' armor was gray. Though, when reused for the AT-ST crew in RotJ, it was repainted green. 

Edited by Albertese

6 minutes ago, SSGClark said:

I had gone off of the box art.  

Yeah the box art is the same as what is on the unit card but more expanded. I like your paint job though. All I have left is to wash then highlight before doing a matte clear coat on mine. The core set and the previous expansions I made the mistake of painting assembled. Not this guy. I got some unsharpened pencils and empty paint tins and went to town. 

nice work!

Each picture I see of Veers he looks so stunty.

But when my figure arrived I was very PLEASED with the sculpt. He will shortly be added to the hatch of my AT-ST

4 hours ago, Deddog said:

nice work!

Each picture I see of Veers he looks so stunty.

But when my figure arrived I was very PLEASED with the sculpt. He will shortly be added to the hatch of my AT-ST

The troops don’t call him General “Stunty” Veers for nothing. Not to his face of course... that’d be difficult, he’s about head shorter than your average trooper.

9 hours ago, Deddog said:

Great idea - his right hand could be converted like he's stabilising himself against the rim and if you liberate the binoculars from one of the Rebel squad leaders it could go in his left. 

I have gone for a very simple paint scheme on all my army.  

Primed Black

Face Bugmans Glow, Reikland Fleshshade, Cadian Fleshstone, just a bit of Kislev Flesh and Flayed One Flesh

Base uniform Mech Standard Grey for the uniform Nulin oil wash and then just a bit of MSG again to bring it up a bit. 

Base armor Mix of MSG and Castellan Green for the Grey Green look.   Wash with Nulin oil again and again highlighted back with the same mix.  Edged with Black.

Belt, Boots, Goggles Just black with Eshin Grey and A bit Dawnstone.

I did wash the Boots and goggles with the gloss Nulin oil. 

The red is Mephiston and the blue is Thousand Sons Blue. 

Hope that helps. 

On 4/26/2018 at 4:26 PM, Albertese said:

For those who concern themselves with the actual on-screen colors from the films, Veers' armor was gray. Though, when reused for the AT-ST crew in RotJ, it was repainted green. 

No, it was most assuredly green.  Look up some stills from the movie.

59 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

No, it was most assuredly green.  Look up some stills from the movie.

I stand corrected.  I looked it up and technically you seem to be right.  In the big reference book "Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy" by Brandon Alinger ((c) 2014, LFL, Chronicle Books,  ISBN 978-1-4521-3805-3) page 95, the Veers costume worn by actor Julian Glover is described. He is wearing the standard Imperial olive colored officer's uniform with vacuum-formed plastic armor and helmet pulled from the same bucks used to make the snow trooper armor, except without the goggles, different greeblies, and painted olive to match the uniform. 

Though, in my defense, while standing in the set of the AT-AT cockpit interior, with its steel-blue everything, the final onscreen color, to my eye, very much looks like a pale blueish gray, with just a hint of green. So much so, that if I hadn't read the accompanying text, I would still have sworn it was gray. In fact, I am stunned to learn that it seems like all the Imperial suits were olive. Thanks to the color timing of Empire Strikes Back (or maybe the color balance of my parents' TV?), I have thought that the uniforms were gray since childhood. It turns out my whole existence has been a lie. 

Regarding the greeblies on his back, nothing is said. I suppose it should just be painted the same as the little recessed area on his lower front armor (which I still say is a darker gray). 

(The book does confirm that the two helmets built for Veers were later modified for use with the AT-ST driver costumes.) 

All those movies went through lots of color correction and filters, and then were remastered later.

For screen accurate costumers, a big part of the hobby is matching precise original colors regardless of final appearance.

For minis, I tend to err on the side of what the finished film looked like.

Also the lighting on the set can shift the colors as well. Looking at the stills, blue lighting was used which makes everything look more blue than what it actually is. So even the artist got it wrong for FFG's cover art. I went with a pale blue grey uniform and olive green armor. The contrast on the mini works well. I am not sure if a olive green blob would look as nice.