Yisas8619

About adapting other settings.

Hey there folks!

As the title says, is this system good for adapting other systems settings like say D&D, GURPS, FATE, Savage Worlds, etc...? Cause there are a bunch of great ones out there and I would like to know how you feel about adapting settings with totally different or unique mechanics (because of the game system) to Genesys.

Short answer: Absolutely!

Long answer: ...Absolutely! Between the core rulebook and Realms of Terrinoth, we have the majority of what's needed for a D&D-esque fantasy setting. Most of your work will be creating stats for NPCs, and more PC species and maybe career options.

For anything Sci-fi/Space Opera related, the majority of the Star Wars line has you covered. The kind folks of this board have created a document making most of the Star Wars talents Genesys compatible.

Browse through the board and you'll see how many fan adaptations are already here, from Fallout to Dragonball Z.

What settings or mechanics did you have in mind?

Well any fantasy setting from Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Earthdawn, Karthun, Conan, The Witcher, etc to settings like Shadowrun, Fragged Empire, Shadowcraft that are maybe more science-fantasy or space opera (that's what my players like: fantasy or space opera or science-fantasy... Maybe some horror and supers too but I'm waiting on those settings till we have some good ways of creating them on Genesys).

I am mostly concerned about magic (as those tend to have very defined spells and I'm not sure if my players will get the Genesys magic system cause they are used to a more "spell list" type of magic) and magic items cause I don't know how to make them feel magic without overpowering the player (IDK how strong I can make NPCs either lmao).

A lot of work but I'm new to the system and I guess I'll get used to it some day haha. Thanks for your answer @rogue_09

58 minutes ago, Yisas8619 said:

Hey there folks!

As the title says, is this system good for adapting other systems settings like say D&D, GURPS, FATE, Savage Worlds, etc...? Cause there are a bunch of great ones out there and I would like to know how you feel about adapting settings with totally different or unique mechanics (because of the game system) to Genesys.

Funny thing is, none of the games you mentioned are settings, they're all game systems. So…no?

If you're asking if Genesys is a good generic system to play specific settings made popular by said game systems? Absolutely!

Yeah that's what I was asking, my english isn't very good so sorry for screwing up lmao. I asked about systems too cause those games have some specific mechanics that I wasn't sure how they would work with Genesys like class restricted abilities and talents, spell lists, powerful magic items, Doom (in the Conan game) and things like that.

Thanks for your answer!

1 hour ago, Yisas8619 said:

Yeah that's what I was asking, my english isn't very good so sorry for screwing up lmao. I asked about systems too cause those games have some specific mechanics that I wasn't sure how they would work with Genesys like class restricted abilities and talents, spell lists, powerful magic items, Doom (in the Conan game) and things like that.

Thanks for your answer!

It's very tricky trying to convert mechanics instead of setting. Doable, but difficult.

Some things just don't work, like the Fate Point economy in Fate. It's an open-ended economy. Players get points from nowhere when their aspects are compelled (or invoked against them) and they disappear when used. In Genesys, the Story Point economy is closed. It always has one point per person at the table (barring that one Heroic Ability that I can't remember the name of). And because of that, Fate Points and Story Points are of different power levels.

Class restrictions are tricky as well, since they're mostly for balance reasons internal to the game system that has nothing to do with the setting. For example, in D&D wizards can't wear heavy armour without some investments in feats or multiclassing. In Genesys, however, you just suffer a small penalty to spellcasting when wearing heavy armour.

Class features/abilities are the easiest to work with, as they're just talents with a different name. The spellcasting (and smiting) of a paladin are handled with the Templar talents and the Justice of the Citadel talent.

I'm not familiar with Doom, since I've not played the Conan game, but powerful magic items are easy enough to port over. Just use the Genesys mechanics and you're all set! For example, a flaming sword in D&D adds fire damage, but in Genesys it adds the burn quality.

I see @c__beck. Thank you for your helpful advice. I'll just port the setting and see what I can fit with the Genesys mechanics, didn't think about Templar and JotC talents!

Now for spells... should I try and make a spell list for my players to choose from or just use the basic Genesys system?

2 minutes ago, Yisas8619 said:

I see @c__beck. Thank you for your helpful advice. I'll just port the setting and see what I can fit with the Genesys mechanics, didn't think about Templar and JotC talents!

Now for spells... should I try and make a spell list for my players to choose from or just use the basic Genesys system?

Use the base system, please. Otherwise you might as well be playing D&D :P

It's not a bad idea to have a list of a few "favourite spells" for your players, even if you come up with them. Just to give your players a taste of how it works. But as long as you understand how the magic system works it shouldn't be hard to ask what they want to do, and walk them through the process of making the spell.

Explain as you go. It may take a few sessions (three or so) but they'll get it. If you don't show them and just give them a list, however, they won't know what they can and can't do with the magic system.

Seems to me like Genesys is designed to be pretty universal, so it ought to represent almost any setting one can imagine. I'd like to see someone do a Zelazny adaptation to Genesys: Amber, Shadowjack, Dilvish, that kind of thing. Or a decent adaptation of Burroughs' Barsoom setting.

I'd say it's easy to adapt the settings, but the system could be tricky.

Here's the problem: the system also implies some different approachs to do some things.

D&D is tactical and slow.

Cyberpunk isn't that much cinematographic.

In my opinion, everyone who want to play another setting using Genesys should think about a different way to see that setting. Think if it was a movie, not a game or a book.

A movie don't want to explain every detail, neither wants to be slow. D&D is like a turn-based game for example. Genesys is like a real-time game.

Genesys has his own gamesytle: dynamic, abstract and free to keep the action going and going. If a player don't understand this, he'll have some problemas trying to convert, in my opition.