flightmaster101

Firing Arcs and Bases

Hey everyone, just thought I would ask since it seems to be a big deal in the game.  How are you maintaining firing arcs in your vehicles?  I saw these on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/600965537/firing-arc-widgets-star-wars-legion?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=legion&ref=sr_gallery-1-7

And I was thinking maybe I don't need to maintain the firing arcs on my bases with them.  Any thoughts on if they will be tournament/OP legal?

18 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

How are you maintaining firing arcs in your vehicles?

Looks like most people are pressing the arcs into the basing material. Seems like a safe bet, since Sorastro’s done it. 

I also suspect that it won’t be too big a deal in tourney rules, especially given how easily you could cheat with the method above. Millimeters matter a lot less in this game than in X-Wing (or even Armada). The safe bet, though, is just to wait for OP rules to drop. 

12 minutes ago, Ailowynn said:

pressing the arcs into the basing material. Seems like a safe bet, since Sorastro’s done it

Did that on my current AT-RTs.  Given the basing scheme it really doesn't make them stand out, which is a bummer since I'm doing Scariff and I don't want to shade them on my nice white sandy beach.

53 minutes ago, Ailowynn said:

Looks like most people are pressing the arcs into the basing material. Seems like a safe bet, since Sorastro’s done it. 

I also suspect that it won’t be too big a deal in tourney rules, especially given how easily you could cheat with the method above. Millimeters matter a lot less in this game than in X-Wing (or even Armada). The safe bet, though, is just to wait for OP rules to drop. 

^^^^^^^ (emphasis added)

I think this is the most important thing.

I have sloppily put a paint line on the edge of the base where the lines end and tried to keep some part of the line visible.  But if people are going to go all nerd-lawyer about it they will never pass muster.  My hope is the Etsy device and other similar things will be tournament legal.  Otherwise I won’t be playing in any tournaments (I might not anyway - so far I have managed 1 X-Wing tournament).

If FFG is going to be crazy about maintaining the factory issues arcs they need to make an announcement right now that people need to leave their vehicle bases unchanged or clearly use the default marks. But considering the way movement works  in this I just don’t see “arc dodging” being a real strategy.  Maybe ducking behind cover but escaping an arc by mm just seems unlikely.

Edited by BigBadAndy

I took some small metal rods about 1mm diameter I think and glued those into the channels on the base

i then put my basing materials around it but not covering.  It blends in visually but is easy to see the exact line from the base this way.  I even painted a few bright red to make it stand out but I am back and forth if I want to go back to brown so it is less noticeable when not needing them

For my imperials, I'm using a deck plating look where I'm using pipes to mark the facing lines.

For my rebels, I was attempting to do overgrown Yavin type ruins, with the large stone blocks that would mark the facings. It worked rather well for a look, though I ended up with a far darker stone look than I'd originally wanted to use.

23 hours ago, KalEl814 said:

I dunno why this didn’t occur to me until this thread based on a previous post but...

@Sorastro have you been given any word that the way that you’ve painted your bases / firing arcs would be considered legal for FFG tourneys?

Hey KalEl!  I haven't heard about tourney legalities so I'm not sure.  Marking the arcs in as I've done was recommended to me by John Shaffer at FFG however, so make of that what you will.. :)

Edit: Actually now that I think of it, John's method was to simply avoid the arcs when applying the paste. A subtle but possibly important difference..?

Edited by Sorastro

9 hours ago, Shadows of the Future said:

For my imperials, I'm using a deck plating look where I'm using pipes to mark the facing lines.

I’d love to see a picture of this.

On a related note, does anyone know if FFG has plans to sell bases separately? For my speeder bikes I have magnets on the minis to hold them to the bases but it would be easy to switch them over to a blank base if needed.

19 minutes ago, BigBadAndy said:

On a related note, does anyone know if FFG has plans to sell bases separately? For my speeder bikes I have magnets on the minis to hold them to the bases but it would be easy to switch them over to a blank base if needed.

Or to switch between desert/jungle/snow/space-station themed bases. 

I scratched my base's decoration on the markings on about 1cm, and painted bright coloured triangular markings on the base's border (I usually paint dark colours around the bases, so it's rather easy to find these notches.

Edited by Deuzerre

1 hour ago, BigBadAndy said:

I’d love to see a picture of this.

4qGNnmq.jpg

yWZqs3O.jpg