Sign in to follow this  
dotswarlock

The Kimogila quest continues (a store kit story)

About a month ago, I learned the value of the Kimogila when I brought 4 of them and Sunny to the top 8 of our local regional:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/272247-reaching-the-top-8-with-kimogilas-a-regional-story/

Now a store kit with the highly valued Quickdraw alt card was coming up, but the time limits posed an interesting challenge.  Since the tournament would be held during a weekday evening, there would only be time for 3 rounds, no matter how many people showed up (because you know, the store needs to close at some point).  Judging from the number of people interested on Facebook, it was clear that we would be more than 12 (which usually requires 4 rounds).

With that in mind, having a high MOV became very important, so I immediately removed large bases as a possibility.  My list at the regional was good against anyone that jousted and had reached an excellent MOV, but it felt lacking against some architypes or highly maneuverable list in the hands of clever opponents (which I knew would be in this tournament).  It needed an improvement, so after much searching, I embraced my use of generics even further and went one step beyond:

2 x Cartel brute with long range scanners
2 x Spice runners with TLT and courier droid
Sunny with light Scyk

I had never flown the list before, but I had been practicing with lots of swarm type lists now, so the learning curve was not too high.  Having a limited number of upgrades also makes it easier to remember them all.  One thing that I had learned from the regional was that Kimogilas appreciate debris field over asteroids because sometimes, that hard turn 3 can be problematic and a shot without any action (or with a previously held target lock) is better than no shot.

The list would also fare pretty well against a lot of net list, which, I fear, was becoming a common practice in our local meta.  22 players showed up at the tournament.

First game

Omicron: darth Vader, engine upgrade
Carnor Jax : PTL, title, autothrusters, targeting computer
Whisper: VI, FCS, advanced cloaking device

Practically a blast from the past, this was an opponent that I had never faced in our store, so I did not know what to expect.  As it turned out, he had recently started playing the Phantom so he was forgetting some of the subtleties of cloaking and advanced cloaking device and so was I because I had not played them in nearly forever.  It did not help that I had never flown my list before, so I messed up my deployment slightly.  I took my initial long range target locks on Carnor because I knew he could be a pain and Whisper had been deployed far away (and was also more vulnerable to basic TLT shots).

His forces were lured in my corner and I managed to block Carnor, but only took 2 hull off of him and Sunny was killed in one shot from Whisper.  On the next round, Carnor landed in the middle of my Hawks and did some more damage while my Kimogilas suffered from the lambda and Vader, but the TLT shots finally took out Whisper.  Eventually my forces ended up behind the shuttle, the rest of my ships either grievously wounded or stressed, but all ships alive and the combination of TLT shots and Kimogila firepower finally managed to kill Carnor after what felt like an eternity of shooting over several rounds.  The shuttle followed quickly afterwards.  All of my ships were horribly damaged and many had crits, but aside from Sunny, they were all alive.

Victory: 100 to 12.

One thing that I’ll point out concerning other games is that a lot of netlist actually lost their first or second game, which was a surprise.  Maybe they simply got unlucky and face other meta lists along the way.  Hard to tell.

Second game

Chiraneau: VI, Kylo, Gunner, Hotshot co-pilot, Dauntless, Engine upgrade
Quickdraw: PTL, title, electronic baffle, LWF

Now this is where one of the lessons that I had learned during the regional payed off.  Instinctively, I was tempted to take my long range target locks on Chiraneau and let the overwhelming amount of firepower take him out, but Chiraneau could arc dodge, Quickdraw could not (or rather, not as well).  So instead I took my target locks on Quickdraw.  If he jousted me, he would die.

My opponent realized this and that a direct approach was suicide, so he tried to lure me into the asteroids, which I happily complied with , but I moved very slowly while keeping my angles open.  If my Hawks could reach the middle, their TLT would make life a living ****, so I just had to get them there at the right angle while making sure one of my other ships was at the right angle to block.

My plan worked perfectly and Quickdraw was forced to fly defensively.  Some long range shots with a few shields lost on each side before we finally collided with me pulling off a block.  Chiraneau lost all his shields and Quickdraw was wounded.  My Kimos suffered the brunt of the attack, but they have a combined 8 hull and shields; they could take it.

I eventually took out quickdraw when the trap closed on him, leaving a shieldless Chiraneau to fend for himself.  Here I have to say that my dice were hot when they needed to be and were horrible, when they needed to be!  A kimogila survived with barely 1 hull and whenever Chiraneau had the opportunity to try to use his gunner/hot shot combo, he always did 1 damage, even in scenario where he should not.

In the end, I won without suffering any casualties

Result: victory 100 to 0

Third game

Ketsu: VI, Dengar, glitterstim, glitterstim, title, Gyroscopic targeting
Bossk: VI, harpoon, boba fett, 4-lom, K4 security droid, scavenger crane, guidance chip.

I don’t like blaming the dice or to say that dice decided the game.  In this case, however, things went beyond ridiculous… and in my favor.

I knew my opponent and I had played him with that specific list.  I knew Ketsu would lead the way and Boosk would cover the back, so it was all a matter of controlling where the engagement would take place, attack ranges and keeping Ketsu from reaching range 1 of my Hawks.  I placed the asteroids to create a mess in the center and spread out my forces to make it harder for him to find an angle of attack.  He deployed in what I would call the diagonal opposite corner and I spent the first few rounds repositioning and maneuvering in my corner.

My plan worked perfectly and the first round of engagement had Ketsu vs 1 kimogila, Sunny and a Hawk (everyone else was out of range).  What I did not expect was to suffer 1 shield on a Kimogila while inflicting 3 shields and 2 hull on Ketsu at range 3 through a debris.  That was just insane!

For the following round, I had to prevent Ketsu from reaching my Hawks, so I sent Sunny to block her, which worked.  Ketsu had Sunny in both her arcs and Bossk had a target lock on her.  The sad part was that that Ketsu shot first and killed Sunny, costing Bossk his missile attack.  The counter attack destroyed Ketsu, so losing 12 points in exchange for 51 was quite acceptable.

On the next round, Boosk ended up at range 1 of both Kimogila and within range of both TLTs.  One Kimogila was reduced to a 1 or 2 hull, but that was in exchange for 6 shields and 2 hull on Bossk which again, was quite acceptable.  On the next round, one Hawk blocked Bossk while the Kimos K-turned behind it, ending at range 1.  Bossk shot his harpoon at the furthest Hawk, but failed to kill it.  The return fire obliterated him.

Result: victory 100 to 12

Conclusion

Because there were more players than rounds, 2 players ended up with 3 wins, but having lost only 24 points across all games, I was sitting on a very comfortable 576 MOV (over a 100 more than anyone else).   With that in hand, I managed to get a Quickdraw alt card, which was not bad for a list that I had not practiced with at all.  A lot of the good players and players who played net lists did not end up with 3 victories.  Was it a matter of luck that I did not face them or that their opponents had lost of practice against said list?  It could very well be a little bit of both.

I know that a lot of people in different metas swear by net listing, but I have always avoided playing it (but while keeping it in mind while building my own list).  My thoughts over the past 2 tournaments: generics and 5 ship builds… well… they work.  The lowly spice runner might seem like the bottom of the barrel (PS 1 and an unflattering title to say the least), but a TLT is a TLT and on average, a lot of shots will end up hitting the target.

It takes some skill in formation flying and making sure that you don’t paint yourself in a corner (or in front of an asteroid) at the wrong time, but in today’s meta where blocking, piloting such a list and flying against swarm type lists is a lost art, bringing some generics to the table is a sure way to really confuse a lot of opponents!  :)

Thanks for the report. I'm always happy to see some homebrew lists with "bad" ships doing good. I too like a challenge and try to fly ships/lists that other people dismiss as underpowered. And so far I'm quite happy with the results. I like the look on the faces of the opponents when they try to figure out what my lists actually do and how to tackle them because they have never tested against anything like it.

Your report actually makes me want to fly my Kimogila again. I have to confess that I've only flown it once. It was a massacre with me on the receiving end and I moved on to the other ships from the new wave and got stock with the Bomber. So I will definitely take the Kimogila out for a ride again (and maybe even buy another one).