so the new Saw's expac preview looks cool, but at a glance I've got to say the big man himself seems to be the out-and-out best pilot of the bunch

he's got a good ability that, most importantly, affects himself (goddamnit, Cassian, why couldn't you have been this cool?)

pilot_saw_gerrera.png

to facilitate his ability reliably, however, we're going to need to dish out stress (we can trust our opponents to do all our work for us, yeah?)

I call this build "disregard movement, save the dream"

Saw (26)
*Refit (-2)
**Wired (1 - 1 = 0)
*Hera (1)
*Ezra (3)
*Pivot (0)
*Col detector (0)
= [28]

no actions, but he hits basically fully mods between wired, ezra, and his ability, and he is yet another member of the "rebel ships you don't give a **** about debris" club,

In order to find partners that benefit from Saw's ability, you're basically looking for r3-a2 or PTL...so Norra. Norra benefits doubly so because she loves re-rolls for her ability.

Norra (29)
*Ptl (3)
*C3po (3)
*r2d2 (4)
*title (0)
*vectored (2)
= [41]

you can then use the remaining 31 points to round out the list with your sheathe/wookie de jour (personally taking Fenn for hotshot + norra + saw's attack with ezra = pain)

of all the currently revealed U-wing pilots + fix, I have to say Saw is the only one cool enough to potentially (and sharp emphasis on that word) rise alongside the hyper-powered Sheathe and Low for a position as synergistic support in your squad (that can simultaneously kick ***). Mildly excited

11 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

w (26)
*Refit (-2)
**Wired (1 - 1 = 0)
*Hera (1)
*Ezra (3)
*Pivot (0)
*Col detector (0)
= [28]

I believe you are compelled to remove stress on a green move so you’ll need an ongoing stress generator. 

15 minutes ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

I believe you are compelled to remove stress on a green move so you’ll need an ongoing stress generator. 

Just use Hera to stop for a few rounds.

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Stressmule (because of Bray...len)

don't think he's ever going to be justifiable over the far superior and cheaper Ezra, sadly. That is unless we return to some kind of palp ace dominance

Don't get me wrong: an Ezra Stressbug is going to be great next to Saw.  But he's still only going to have 2 red dice.  Braylen has 3.  Meanwhile, a classic 26 point Y-Wing making 3 attacks could also gain a lot from Saw.

6 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Meanwhile, a classic 26 point Y-Wing making 3 attacks could also gain a lot from Saw.

Great choice - 3 shots, 3 rerolls 

That saw and a streesbot totals 54 points.

Looks like something that can hit pretty strong, but has terrible both are terrible at keeping arcs against mobile targets, so you well need a partner than can cover your flanks and posible survive the end game, maybe Corran? Or Poe?

Posted (edited)

100 - 54 =  46 points left

yeah, poe slots in just fine. Or a bare minimum sensors + r2-d2 + ptl Corran for the Saw synergy (no EU). Norra also fits in perfectly well...again

problem is I can't separate r3-a2 from the Sheathe without thinking I'm putting it on an inferior chasis. the sheathe is kind of dumb

Edited by ficklegreendice

I had a similar thought,

• Saw (37)
  • Wired
  • Sensor Jammer
  • Renegade Refit
  • Ezra
  • Hera
  • Pivot
  • Anti-Pursuit Lasers
  • Hull Upgrade

Basic thought is to use it as a Blocker and gum up lanes while still being able to shoot with mods.

The MINUTE I saw Saw, I knew he was precisely the pilot I had been looking for for my Strezzra-core list. This is what I have:

Ezra

Snap Shot

Luke

Stressbot

Shield Upgrade

Saw

Wired

Refit

Hera

Kyle

CollDet

Title

Hull Upgrade

Norra

PTL

IR

R2-D2

Title

You castle in a corner to bank stress for Saw's use later as Kyle removes them. Saw gives his reroll to everyone. He hits pretty okay, but is more or less support. Norra hits REALLY hard with her ability an a reroll. Ezra is the real beauty. Saw's reroll lets him have better odds of hitting on Snap Shot, better odds of missing on shot one, and WAY better chances of hitting on his Luke shot.

1 hour ago, Greebwahn said:

The MINUTE I saw Saw, I knew he was precisely the pilot I had been looking for for my Strezzra-core list. This is what I have:

Ezra

Snap Shot

Luke

Stressbot

Shield Upgrade

Saw

Wired

Refit

Hera

Kyle

CollDet

Title

Hull Upgrade

Norra

PTL

IR

R2-D2

Title

You castle in a corner to bank stress for Saw's use later as Kyle removes them. Saw gives his reroll to everyone. He hits pretty okay, but is more or less support. Norra hits REALLY hard with her ability an a reroll. Ezra is the real beauty. Saw's reroll lets him have better odds of hitting on Snap Shot, better odds of missing on shot one, and WAY better chances of hitting on his Luke shot.

Hate to burst the bubble here, but Ezra can't use Saw's ability to reroll Snap Shot, as Saw's ability is granting the other ship a reroll, not forcing it to reroll, meaning it is Ezra trying to mod the Snap Shot, which Snap Shot doesn't allow.

52 minutes ago, Greebwahn said:

Wait...really? I thought it's like M9-G8?

51 minutes ago, Greebwahn said:

Because M9 can make Snap Shot reroll, and it still says it is the attacker doing the rerolling

50 minutes ago, Greebwahn said:

Sure, it says must, but Snap Shot says can't - what is the major difference?

The difference between M9-G8 and Saw's ability is where the modification is ultimately coming from.

Snap Shot reads as: After an enemy ship executes a maneuver, you may perform this attack against that ship. Attack: Attack 1 ship. You cannot modify your attack dice and cannot attack again this phase. (Bold & underlined by me)

The 'You' in Snap Shot doesn't refer to you the player, it refers to 'You' as in that specific ship.

M9-G8 reads as: When a ship you have locked is attacking, you may choose 1 attack die. The attacker must reroll that die. (Bold and underlined by me)

The 'You' in this instance again refers to the ship that M9-G8 is actually equipped on. It is the one that is actually causing the modification to occur, not the attacking ship.

Saw's Ability reads as: When a friendly ship at Range 1-2 attacks, if it is stressed or has at least 1 Damage card, it may reroll 1 attack die. (Bold and underlined by me).

In the instance of Saw's ability, it is the ship doing the attack that is performing the modification, which is prevented by Snap Shot.

But as you quote, it is the attacker (who supposedly cannot modify their dice) who does the rerolling. Sure, the M9 ship chose which die, but it is still the attacker modifying - same as with Saw I'd think. Or else M9 shouldn't work with Snap Shot, because it is still the attacker modifying (just modifying something chosen by someone else)