Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Avengers Infinity War NO Spoiler Review

The weather in New York is barley past the end of Winter but there is no mistaking this is a Summer blockbuster. 

From the opening scene to end credits we are treated to the  high stakes action and emotional rollercoaster ride  that can only  come from a decade long investment in world building and character development set for us in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

No bathroom break sequences in this one.

The pairings of the characters are well done,  and for me it’s Tony Stark and Dr. Strange for the winning magical combo but Thor and the Guardians give them a run for the money.

The humor is genuine and never forced on us,  and rather quite welcome as we gasp for air amid the sea of heroic scenes pulled out of the comic books of my youth. 

Now let’s talk about the Titan in the room, Thanos.  Josh Brolin NAILS Thanos, he really does.  

Do you know how Darth Vader comes into his own in The Empire Strikes Back?  Well here Brolin  fills in Thanos gauntlet and shoes and then some.  The man has come a LONG way since his portrayal in The Goonies.  This is every bit a Thanos movie as it is an Avengers movie.

As a brief side note, I like how they use Peter Parker, Spider-Man, as our surrogate in the movie, he is us, the comic book fans and the viewers, on the screen with our heroes.

I do want to say that the structure of this movie is different than other super hero movies, and I am sure the end will have many people talking.

(In my screening there was only one post credit scene.)

This is a crazily fun super hero film, I’ll see it at least two more times on the big screen.  

Now is it a great film?  I feel it is the BEST possible payoff after a decade’s long buildup leading to it.

But hey, no matter what I say, you guys are going to see it anyways right ?

6cdyy8qnl5v01.jpg

In 1998 Marvel offered the cinematic rights to nearly all the Marvel characters for $25 Million.  Sony rejected the offer,  opting instead to purchase the rights to Spider-Man for $10 Million believing audiences would only be interested in him.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

10 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

As a brief side note, I like how they use Peter Parker, Spider-Man, as our surrogate in the movie, he is us, the comic book fans and the viewers, on the screen with our heroes.

Perfect. I'm stoked for Spidey so this is good to read. I won't get to see this for at least a week so it's going to be tough staying spoiler-free.

Grim. 

Too much shaky-cam. 

They had something to do for all the characters they put in the film.

Brolin is terrific.

The film tries far too hard to make or spends too much time trying to make the villain sympathetic. This ties in to my next comment.  

Some of the humor fell flat for me because of questionable timing or otherwise poor juxtaposition. 

Emotional beats are all over the place. 

Those three things all combined to make the pacing a bit all over the place. 

Like all trips to these sorts of movies these days the movies doesn't really have time to breathe. This one had or took more than most (usually spent on sympathy for the villain) but it never lets you get a handle on things before it goes crashing onto the next thing or they're throwing some badly timed joke at you. 

I think it will be worth sitting through this one for part two. 

That's all I got without getting spoilery and I'm already on the edge of that.  

I will say I enjoyed the film and I thought it was fun, overall.  I chuckled a few times.

That being said, it suffered from the same affliction that all the Marvel movies have struggled with, to one degree or another:

+ there are many situations where the characters do not use their powers (for the narrative), but it makes no sense why they wouldn't.  (e.g. why do you need to desperately try and figure out how to land an alien spaceship in a risky crash when one member of your party routinely makes portals for inter-planetary travel...?).
+ the action scenes are the most boring parts, due to both shakey-cam and that super strong dudes punching super tough dudes can only be done so many ways
+ so much of the humor felt forced and inappropriate.  I'll be the first to admit that some of the jokes were great, but a lot of them were just kind of groan-worthy (most notably Thor and his "team").  And, much like the pacing, the non-stop nature of the jokes detracts a bit from the gravity of the narrative.  Like, I'm curious if the film had more quips or more punches.  It's probably pretty close when you sit down and count them all.
+ I don't get the emotional pull that so many had with this film... I mean does anyone believe that all of the events of this film won't be entirely undone with magic, infinity stones, or some other sort of comic-book mumbo-jumbo by the end of Part II?

I enjoyed it, and I thought it was a very fun cinematic experience.  It's pretty eye candy, but if you let your brain pause or try and digest anything too much, it quickly unravels (which is an issue with most comic book movies, of course). 

6cdyy8qnl5v01.jpg

In 1998 Marvel offered the cinematic rights to nearly all the Marvel characters for $25 Million.  Sony rejected the offer,  opting instead to purchase the rights to Spider-Man for $10 Million believing audiences would only be interested in him.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:17 AM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

10 for one, instead of 25 for all of them.  No matter what it is, that's still a dumb decision.

Somebody should have just told Thanos that when you have godlike powers there are better ways  than to just go ahead with plan A.

I really liked the banter between Strange and Iron man.

It felt a bit fragmented, but with so many characters being all over the place that was almost unavoidable.

3 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Somebody should have just told Thanos that when you have godlike powers there are better ways  than to just go ahead with plan A.

I really liked the banter between Strange and Iron man.

It felt a bit fragmented, but with so many characters being all over the place that was almost unavoidable.

Their dialogue was exactly like Rusty Ventures and Dr. Orphiouses from Venture brothers.  It can't be a coincidence because they have the guy that plays as Brock Sampson playing as an Agent of shield in the TV series right now.