xanderf

Since the X-Wing is now jumping the shark on an original design constraint...how can the TIE Fighter be equally updated?

Sienar Thrusters MkII
Modification

You may equip two Modification upgrades.
When you reveal a green maneuver you may immediately perform a free boost or barrel roll action.  If you have one or fewer Stress tokens you may perform Boost and Barrel Actions despite being stressed.

7 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Haha

Wow those are stupendously overpriced.

The prices were just there to fill the gap.

I have no actual clue how these are priced.

3 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Sienar Thrusters MkII
Modification

You may equip two Modification upgrades.
When you reveal a green maneuver you may immediately perform a free boost or barrel roll action.  If you have one or fewer Stress tokens you may perform Boost and Barrel Actions despite being stressed.

Intentional that it lets you get double autothrusters or nah?

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

Intentional that it lets you get double autothrusters or nah?

Pretty sure it lets you have 0 autothrusters as you don't have a Boost action, and it's taken up one of your Mod slots.

It's intentional that you can equip this and TIE MkII Engines.

20 hours ago, xanderf said:

About the only counter-point I'd make to this (and, indeed, my own suggestions in the thread) is...

...well, everyone remembers what the game looked like when the Howlrunner-wave1-meta was going on, right?

DSC_0114.JPG

Yeah, that.

"Cube-o'-TIE-Fighters" on the table.  It was finicky, took a long time to play, looked aesthetically kind of silly...

So maybe stacking 'range 1' benefits on top of each other is possibly not the way forward.

Well the point was really more that the X-Wing was considered too powerful to have more than 4 on a table, while the TIE Fighter was similarly limited to 8.  Now that we get not just original-X-Wings, but buffed X-Wings (with new actions or a better dial as well as more health) and five of them on the table...really, it'd only be balanced to do the same for the lowly TIE Fighter.  Presuming FFG was always aiming to get them at 2-to-1 odds with the X-Wings, we're really looking at some means of getting 10 on the table...

(Ideally, seeing previous point, not clumped all together)

Indeed. This is where Swarm Leader (range 1-2 but all pointed at the same target) is a far better mechanic to look at, because you actually behave like a swarm instead of a brick.

Range 1 blocks are unwieldy and not fun to fly, not to mention that every splash damage effect ever is aimed at hammering them.

On 4/24/2018 at 4:45 PM, Rakaydos said:

The tie fighter wants a 0 point modification that helps it survive.

A Tie-only "No guts no glory" that gives a focus when you have no shields would let a tie fighter or tie intercepter either maneuver or evade each round, which would really help.

I like this, mabe make it galactic empire only so as to not buff FO, you think even really have to worry about it buffing Soontir as 1. He has a better title/mods and 2. He already maxes out his focuses

8 ships should really be the max, it just gets too unwieldy with 7 or 8 ships let alone 9+.

Going back to first principles, TIE Fighters need several things:

1. Slightly better durability
  2. The ability to more reliably hit higher agility targets (even if they do very little damage in the process, they need a better chance to hit)
  3. Slightly better maneuverability than their T-65 X-wing brethren. (relevant with the newest FFG X-wing fixes)

Here's my fixes to TIE Fighters. I'm always open to suggestions, so if someone can come up with a better idea that helps TIE Fighters across the board solve problems 1-3, then I will gladly evaluate and fold it into Community Mod.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:04 PM, MajorJuggler said:

TIE Fighter

Overview 

This mod’s power curve is roughly balanced around the TIE Swarm, just as the stock game used to be in early waves. All TIE Fighters get access to two new custom upgrades, which help them hit higher agility targets, get a free barrel roll after moving, and also gives them a durability boost.

Key Cards

Attack Formation
0 / 0 / 0
TIE Fighter, Z-95, or M3-A Interceptor only. Title.
When attacking with a primary weapon, if the defender is in arc of another friendly ship with "Attack Formation" equipped, you may add one <hit> result. If you do and this attack hits, the defender suffers one damage, and then cancel all dice results.

Evasive Thrusters
0 / 0 / 0
Modification. TIE Fighter only.
Your agility value must be "3" to equip this card. After executing a maneuver, if you did not overlap an obstacle or ship, you may perform a free barrel roll action.

When defending, you may discard this card to reroll any number of defense dice.

I'll throw in a hat:

Overwhelming Numbers (title, TIE/LN only, -1 point). When attacking or defending, you may spend Focus or Evade tokens on friendly TIE/LN at range 1 as if they were your own.

That could easily get nutty, but it probably helps offensively and defensively at the same time, and make it a lot harder to crack the swarm.

//

However, there ought to be another title which would be good on a filler TIE.

* Scouting Mission (unique title, TIE/LN only, -2 points).  When attacking or defending, if there are no more than 1 other friendly ship within Range 1, you may add one Blank or Focus result.  During the Place Forces step, you may be placed within range 2 of the friendly board edge, instead of range 1.

The range 1 restriction is mostly so you couldn't drop Howlrunner into a swarm of TIE/FO.  I think the broad concept: having an option for a fix for a filler Academy/Wampa/Dark Curse/Night Beast would also be nice along side a fix for TIE Swarm.

Posted (edited)

I think that a well flown TIE Swarm is still within cooee of competitiveness, with a few notable exceptions (I'm looking at Ghost/Fenn, but probably also triple Wookiee). If you assume FFG maybe eventually does something with those two, you're left with one super hard counter - AoE bombs and harpoons. In all honesty, I'm okay with hard counters in the game - every now and then, you are going to lose at the match up stage. But the counter should be firm, rather than cast-iron hard. Hence my suggestion:

Commandant Goran

PS8, TIE Fighter, 18 points, EPT.

At the end of the setup phase, assign the "Imperial Training" condition to each friendly Galactic Empire TIE Fighter at Range 1-3.

Imperial Training

When defending, you may cancel up to 1 critical result before hit results.

After rolling dice, you may discard this card to reroll any number of those dice.

This condition serves two purposes. First, letting you cancel up to one crit first substantially improves your odds of preventing Harpoons from triggering. Second, because of the way the second part is worded, you can use it to reroll anything that goes badly for you. So if you get caught by an errant bomblet and roll two hits with Sabine waiting in the wings? Reroll those. Forced over a debris and rolled a crit? That die's getting rerolled. Rolled four blanks at range three and you're about to pop to three hits? Reroll those bad boys. Need one hit on a VCX to kill it before it gets its end of round TLT off,but rolled double eyeballs? Reroll time, baby! It's like a shittier single use Palp. Won't make the TIEs unkillable, but it will smooth out bad luck and give them options vs bombs (while being far from useless vs non bombing lists).

He's PS8 to fly with Howlrunner, and to have value other than purely for his setup ability. The only things I'm uncertain about are point cost, and the exact wording of the restrictions. I limited it to Galactic Empire only so that neither Quickdraw nor Omega Leader could benefit, but that means none of the low PS TIE/fo's can benefit either. I'm okay with that thematically, but I feel like it restricts things a bit from a list building perspective. I considered a PS based restriction, but there's no way to do it where you can keep both QD and OL out without also excluding Howlrunner. So there's definitely room to tweak there.

Edited by MacchuWA

Posted (edited)

Rapid-Fire Blasters

TIE Interceptor, TIE Fighter only, Modification, Dual Card

Side 1:

ATTACK (3), Range 2-3:  Perform this attack twice.  Each time this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 damage, then cancel all dice results.  Then flip this card.

Side 2:

At the start of the combat phase, you may receive a weapons disabled token to flip this card.

0 points

LeanWhisperedKookaburra-size_restricted.

Edited by FTS Gecko

On 4/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, Rakaydos said:

The problem with Swarm Leader, Howlrunner, Youngster or whatever is that they have a huge target on their back.

A solution to this would be a cheap, synergistic ept that the could be equipped by the Swarm, and it would defend the swarm leader. 

Swarm formation

Imperial only

You may not perform the evade action, if there are no friendly ships at Range 1-2. 

When performing the evade action, choose a friendly ship at Range 1. That ship receives an evade token.

Ept 1 pts

1 hour ago, Brack Daddy said:

Your wish may have been granted today.

Sadly, no - nothing in the TIE Reaper expansion (so far revealed, anyway) particularly helps the lowly TIE Fighter.  Interceptor aces maybe get a slight boost from Krennic, whose "Optimized Prototype" condition is a lot more powerful than anyone guessed.  But nothing that particularly helps the TIE Fighter.

Ability sharing at range 1?

Something along the lines. 

Swarm Instinct. TIEtle.  0 points

Tie/ln only

Every other ship with this title in range 1 has your pilot ability.

You activate at the lowest pilot skill of every ship in range 1 of this ship in the movement phase.

You activate at the highest pilot skill of every ship in range 1 of this ship in the combat phase. 

Combo with some new pilots with defense abilities and maybe a new EPT that shares pilot abilites.

On the Same Wavelength. EPT 3 points

You may have only have two of this upgrade.

You have the pilot abilities of other friendly pilots that has this upgrade.

Ideas? 

How about this for a fix?

• Flight Instructor

Title.

TIE only.

? points.

If at least 1 friendly ship is named "Academy Pilot", your action bar gains Cordinate.