OccasionallyCorrect

Root Out Rebellion - New Article

Flamethrower actually works decently with the Steady keyword, since generally if you get into R1 you either spent a turn in the open beforehand, or doublemoved.

The ion rifle is even worse than the rebel one lol....so i guess the two sides are even on that front now for useless weapon upgrade options

3 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Flamethrower actually works decently with the Steady keyword, since generally if you get into R1 you either spent a turn in the open beforehand, or doublemoved.

The ion rifle is even worse than the rebel one lol....so i guess the two sides are even on that front now for useless weapon upgrade options

I wouldn't say it's worse. It's on a platform that can reload-move-shoot, as opposed to reload-shoot. The more restricted range maybe balances this.

And neither one is useless. Try Rapid Reinforcements :D. Drop in an ion unit behind the enemy's heavy hitter.

11 minutes ago, nashjaee said:

I wouldn't say it's worse. It's on a platform that can reload-move-shoot, as opposed to reload-shoot. The more restricted range maybe balances this.

And neither one is useless. Try Rapid Reinforcements :D. Drop in an ion unit behind the enemy's heavy hitter.

Steady arguably cancels out the range issue... But even with surge-hit, it still does less average damage for the same cost after you factor in the cost of a regular snowtrooper.

_________________________________________________________________-

So, there's a couple of surprises here;

-A lot of people had assumed that the Snowtroopers were 10 points a piece. It appears we mistook that 8 for a 0, because they're 12 points a piece. Which, given that I feel they're slightly superior to Stormtroopers without special weapons is fitting, I suppose.

-The flametrooper is actually really cheap (Only 8 points more than a snowtrooper). Which is good for such a short-ranged weapon, of course. Perhaps Flametrooper+Impact Grenades will work after all...

-Annoyingly, they haven't actually shown us the Snowtrooper personnel card. >.>

Edited by Squark

13 minutes ago, Squark said:

Steady arguably cancels out the range issue... But even with surge-hit, it still does less average damage for the same cost after you factor in the cost of a regular snowtrooper.

_________________________________________________________________-

So, there's a couple of surprises here;

-A lot of people had assumed that the Snowtroopers were 10 points a piece. It appears we mistook that 8 for a 0, because they're 12 points a piece. Which, given that I feel they're slightly superior to Stormtroopers without special weapons is fitting, I suppose.

-The flametrooper is actually really cheap (Only 8 points more than a snowtrooper). Which is good for such a short-ranged weapon, of course. Perhaps Flametrooper+Impact Grenades will work after all...

That's a good point; I wasn't even thinking about the dice odds. It has the potential for more hits rolled, but averages a bit lower. But when you factor in defense dice, I think these guys come out on top (depends what you're shooting of course. It's tougher to hit the airspeeder.).

I think 48 points makes more sense. At 40 points, on paper, they looked entirely better than Stormtroopers to me.

More expensive without access to the DLT seems pretty mopey to me.  I thought they had interesting potential as cheap objective grabbers, but when you remove the cheap half of that statement it seems a lot harder to justify taking them.  I've played enough games with a DLT-less Stormtrooper unit to be of the opinion that the E-11's are completely useless, so paying more for a unit without access to a decent heavy weapon seems... lacking.

That said, the Flamethrower's cost is a pleasant surprise.  It's basically where it has to be to not get outclassed by Concussion Grenades, but at least its pretty reasonable, though only in part because of the cost of an extra trooper.  The Ion Rifle though is pretty baffling.  I guess its cheaper if you agree the base body is worth almost half the body of the Rebel Trooper, but 82 points minimum to make it so the 85 point AT-RT doesn't get to Aim when it guns you down with the Rotary Blaster seems like not a good plan.  In terms of mid ranged units, these guys feel pretty grotesquely worse than the Fleet Troopers. :unsure:

5 minutes ago, nashjaee said:

I think 48 points makes more sense. At 40 points, on paper, they looked entirely better than Stormtroopers to me.

They probably would be in the E-11 config, but E-11 Stormtroopers don't really seem to be worth it at all and primarily make their money with the DLT.

3 minutes ago, Shadows of the Future said:

Now, the question is if the free attacks can stack up. Double move with two free attacks is kind of scary for this kind of thing.

RRG pg 12

If a game effect provides a unit with a free action of a certain type, such as a free attack action, performing that free action does not count against that unit’s two actions per activation, but is considered an action for the purposes of game effects and therefore does not allow a unit to perform the same non-move action more than once during its activation.

Pretty much what was expected I guess: Continually moving forwards to grab objectives while pewpewing around. The Ion is as stated above still pretty decent because you can still move-fire-reload in the same action. The flamethrower is interesting since they move a tiny bit faster than Stormtroopers. I think if you get a flamethrower, you may as well take impact grenades to get more black dice at range 1.

Also, they aren't really slowed down by terrain so, that's cool.

4 minutes ago, DerBaer said:

Snowtroopers plus grenades plus flamethrower is a lot of black dice with surge for damage, blast and impact. Just the range ...

If you can slow-push them behind cover into striking distance while distracting them with another more attractive target they could be very potent. Just the range...

5 minutes ago, Barney said:

So with snowtroopers being 48 points I’m assuming this leaves the design space open for cheaper (40points) imperial army troops? 

I assume Fleet Troopers/Technicians first, but yeah.

Also, based on previous units, this means the Personnel upgrade should be 12. 

Even with the better action economy, T-7 doesn't seem worth it. Costs the same as the HH-12 for less accuracy and impact (though obviously it isn't cumbersome, but still) and more than the rebel MPL Ion which has better dice and better range for the same keywords. 

On the other hand, if you just need an anti-infantry unit, Flamethrower teams with grenades seem really good. It doesn't have the flexibility of a DLT team, but should have more kick in CQC. 

8 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

On the other hand, if you just need an anti-infantry unit, Flamethrower teams with grenades seem really good. It doesn't have the flexibility of a DLT team, but should have more kick in CQC. 

They make the Ready action relevant, but I'm not sure that's a mark in their favor...