Sign in to follow this  
Emeraldegg

Single small-base ship tournament coming up, would like some suggestions

So the format of this tournament is as follows:
Each player brings 3 small base ships up to 50 points each
Each ship is chosen at random to face one of the opponents' randomly chosen ships, repeat with different ships, best 2 of 3, MOV either 0 or 100 pts
3 obstacles, 3x3 play area, 25 mins per game

I already know I want to run Darth Vader and either Soontir Fel or Quickdraw (I feel like arc dodging at ps11 would lend itself to good performance when there's only 1 arc to dodge, and I mostly have imperial stuff and some scum stuff), but I want to do something janky with the 3rd ship, and the Quadjumper is the first ship I ever bought so I want to see if there's a way to make it cock some eyebrows and actually maybe have it do pretty well. Here's what I came up with on my own:

Sarco Plank: 18
EPT: Stay on Target: 2
Crew: Intelligence Agent: 1
Bomb: Cluster Mines: 4
Illicit: Cloaking Device: 2
Mod: Spacetug Tractor Array: 2

The general idea is to view their dial with IA and use stay on target to turn the dial to an appropriate maneuver, using the tractor array to help toss them onto some asteroids or even to a path where they will get blocked. Primed Thrusters is so that if I need to do a reverse maneuver, I can maybe barrel roll into their flight path and block them when needed. Eventually perhaps I can catch them with a full battery of cluster mines, which is my only real way to do damage. The cloaking device was just kinda freestyled in there, just to use when I'm in a pinch. The sticking point I have is that outside of the cluster mines, I have no long-term plan to win; once they're gone, they're gone. Killing someone by throwing them into asteroids takes too long to win in 25 minutes and isn't a sure thing to boot.  To that end, I had thought about replacing IA with cad bane in order to enable the use of bomblet generator, which would give me more of a long game, but to do that is to basically change the whole ship setup since without IA, there's no use for stay on target, the tractor array becomes less useful, and it's harder to know when to use the bombs and when not to.

Any ideas to throw on top of my ship? Should I just scrap this idea altogether since it's kind of a slow, grindy list that will probably just end up going to time?

Edited by Emeraldegg

I unfortunately only own the base starviper stuff, I don't have gunsf or hire which means no mk2, or I would highly consider starviper and/or kihraxz

Can't believe I overlooked pattern analyzer, that would indeed be better than primed thrusters since it would allow tractor beaming after reds.

Edited by Emeraldegg

I've flown something like the Zuvio that flooze posted and it's a hoot! Though I prefer the Stay on Target as the elite because there are so many speed one maneuvers :)

Also, can confirm PA is the best tech to go with tractor array because you can back up and still tractor.