Sign in to follow this  
tsuruki

Is the first Scenario in Carcosa crazy or do we just suck??

This is on hard BTW.

Me and my friend keep doing this scenario over and over and keep loosing it. Yes my buddy is a lil obsessed about getting best possible results but even so, we keep hitting the wall of needing to beat 4+ difficulty foes over and over or slamming into the Man in the Pallid Mask's massive intellect test.

My buddy usually brings Delve too deep and yes, it HAS killed him, but even so, is there some rule thats easy to interpret in a negative way for investigators?

hm.   Well, what team are you using?   

You have to be able to kill the Royal Emissary about ten thousand times if you are trying for max score.   Mark Harrigan with a Machete will give you a lot more time.  Obviously at some point you need to deal with the man in the pallid mask, so Daisy is a good second investigator if you are doing 2 player.  

I dont think its that hard, personally (on hard mode as well), it's just a slog.   It takes forever and it's really hard to move as fast as you want to.  

Completing it isn't bad.  Honestly, the problem is that you can delay it as long as you want, and all that juicy XP laying around means that you often will.  My group got greedy and we cleared it with 10 total XP, but our greed cost us a couple of trauma in the process.

I don't think this is accidental.

6 hours ago, Buhallin said:

Completing it isn't bad.  Honestly, the problem is that you can delay it as long as you want, and all that juicy XP laying around means that you often will.  My group got greedy and we cleared it with 10 total XP, but our greed cost us a couple of trauma in the process.

I don't think this is accidental.

So you used cards like Delve too Deep or Bury Them Deep? Because there are only 8 VP max in this scenario (the Emissary only counts once, if it is in the Victory display at the end).

I didn't find it very difficult.   We had Mark, Minh, Sefina and Bill-Y.  We had a small smattering of damage/horror but no one was critical.

That being said, we didn't push for everything.  We ended up with 7 xp which was fine.

We did just kill the Man in the Pallid Mask, twice.  The emissary only got an opportunity to come out once.

I know its your game and all, but why not just move into the next scenario?

12 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

So you used cards like Delve too Deep or Bury Them Deep? Because there are only 8 VP max in this scenario (the Emissary only counts once, if it is in the Victory display at the end).

Yes, double Delve (the drawing of which was assisted by our stall).

On 4/24/2018 at 12:45 PM, Jobu said:

I didn't find it very difficult.   We had Mark, Minh, Sefina and Bill-Y.  We had a small smattering of damage/horror but no one was critical.

That being said, we didn't push for everything.  We ended up with 7 xp which was fine.

We did just kill the Man in the Pallid Mask, twice.  The emissary only got an opportunity to come out once.

I know its your game and all, but why not just move into the next scenario?

I would, my friend is a bit of a perfectionist tho :þ

Perhaps having a high Int character is important? Our combo is usually a Mystic + a fighter of some sort so Intellect is pretty much never high in this duo.

My group didn't find Scenario 1 difficult at all.  Compared to the Dunqich Legacy which was punishing from the start, the Carcosa cycle has been manageable on Hard, though we have yet to play Scenario 7-8 yet. 

16 hours ago, tsuruki said:

I would, my friend is a bit of a perfectionist tho :þ

Perhaps having a high Int character is important? Our combo is usually a Mystic + a fighter of some sort so Intellect is pretty much never high in this duo.

Clues and monsters are the two biggest things to cover in gameplay. Even though Guardian and Seeker usually are focused towards those, the other classes have ways to compensate.

And greedy sometimes causes trouble ;)

in some scenarios you have to think what is safe and what is not and suffer the consequences if you Are too creedy. Like the secon scenario in the box adventure.

Just beat it last night with Ashcan Pete, Jenny Barnes & Akachi.  We weren't too greedy--ended up with 6 XP--but managed to escape without any trauma, which was nice.  I really liked the balance between greed & time on this one...maybe we could have stalled and cleared out another room or two, but why?  The game can turn brutal with just one bad turn, we decided to quit while we were ahead.  All of the characters were pretty beat up, but it felt good to add a solid win to our record.

We also start each new campaign with the starter decks--no customization until you earn XP--so it felt doubly good to come out clean & on top.

The prologue was awesome, really sucked us in.