Jump to content
bsmith23

Adventure crafting for players obligation

Recommended Posts

Just realized last night that my group currently has 4 1/2 years invested in these  characters, since Edge came out. Anyway...

I've never done anything  for the Wookiee in our group whos obligation/motivation is to find lost family. I could easily go with rescuing the Wookiee slaves from the Empire, but these players deserve so much more (both good and bad), so I'm back to pick at the brains of the finest gamers in the galaxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go with the Black Sun or Hutt slave trade rather than Imperial.  Leads to an interesting number of possibilities; gladiator games on Nar Shadaa or Tatooine, Corporate Sector indentured service, maybe even Kessel Spice Mines.  Plus, it gives you a larger variety for bad guys although you can still throw in some Imperials if you want.  The kicker is that you have great potential for obligation changes; buying their freedom, trading your services for their release, making a new enemy by interrupting their business or stealing their property.  So many ways to go with this adventure, I may have to work them into my own game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure Wookiee slavers is even a thing?  Hard to justify a group so widely persecuted by slavery deciding to adopt the abhorred practice.  Runs counter to the whole honor code as well.   If you want the dramatic effect, you could probably get away with one Wookiee betraying the others into slavery to save his own hide.  Someone working with the slavers to provide "insider" information and facilitating capture, unknown to his fellow Wookiees because he's working in the shadows to eliminate his competition and build wealth/power.  Definitely adds flavor and intrigue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crashnburninc said:

Not sure Wookiee slavers is even a thing?  Hard to justify a group so widely persecuted by slavery deciding to adopt the abhorred practice.  Runs counter to the whole honor code as well.   If you want the dramatic effect, you could probably get away with one Wookiee betraying the others into slavery to save his own hide.  Someone working with the slavers to provide "insider" information and facilitating capture, unknown to his fellow Wookiees because he's working in the shadows to eliminate his competition and build wealth/power.  Definitely adds flavor and intrigue.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chuundar

We had Wookiees selling their own kind into slavery in KOTOR.

Edit: Also http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vargi, with the Trandoshans no less.

Edited by A7T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying that a Wookiee couldn't be involved in the slave trade, just that it wasn't a normal thing.  Those particular individuals doing it for very personal & selfish reasons only reinforces my point that it's not a traditionally acceptable part of Wookiee culture.  Unlike Zygerrians, Trandoshans, or Hutts who were all known to be widely involved & avid supporters of the slave trade.  It's also cliché that many Twileks & Cathar were sold into slavery for various reasons, but that doesn't limit only those races to being slaves.  Anyone could fill any role, but certain species are more believable than others.

P.S.  I had no intention of plagiarizing KOTOR.  I guess it's just been so long since I last played it, that I somehow absorbed & internalized part of the story.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2018 at 3:36 PM, crashnburninc said:

I'm not saying that a Wookiee couldn't be involved in the slave trade, just that it wasn't a normal thing.  Those particular individuals doing it for very personal & selfish reasons only reinforces my point that it's not a traditionally acceptable part of Wookiee culture.  Unlike Zygerrians, Trandoshans, or Hutts who were all known to be widely involved & avid supporters of the slave trade.  It's also cliché that many Twileks & Cathar were sold into slavery for various reasons, but that doesn't limit only those races to being slaves.  Anyone could fill any role, 

Which is why I like this. No one expects the Wookiee Slaving Circle...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, crashnburninc said:

I'm not saying that a Wookiee couldn't be involved in the slave trade, just that it wasn't a normal thing.  Those particular individuals doing it for very personal & selfish reasons only reinforces my point that it's not a traditionally acceptable part of Wookiee culture.  Unlike Zygerrians, Trandoshans, or Hutts who were all known to be widely involved & avid supporters of the slave trade.  It's also cliché that many Twileks & Cathar were sold into slavery for various reasons, but that doesn't limit only those races to being slaves.  Anyone could fill any role, but certain species are more believable than others.

P.S.  I had no intention of plagiarizing KOTOR.  I guess it's just been so long since I last played it, that I somehow absorbed & internalized part of the story.  

I applaud your instincts because this is one of the hardest settings to be faithful to as far as simulation. If you are going to make it feel like Star Wars there is a really tight line to keep or you start messing it up. Professionals have done that recently with the franchise so it's not something I think anyone should take lightly if they want to have the tone of the setting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A different spin on your Wookies as Slavers/Slaves is using the concept of the Life Debt. 

What if the PC's Wookie family have all sworn a life debt to someone that the PC's really wouldn't like. I'm thinking a Fallen Jedi, a Hutt or perhaps a Moff. Or use a villain from your previous adventures. If this Antagonist even treat the Wookies with care and respect it would be even more emotionally impactful.

Putting the PC's in direct opposition with the Antagonist and then revealing the Wookies caught in the middle should force the PC's into making some very hard decisions (= good Role Playing). 

The stakes need to be very high for this to really work. Like the Antagonist killing off a planet or eliminating an entire organization the PC's care about. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reigniting this topic, cuz I reized im running it this weekend and havent prepped!

Need ideas for what talents for my wookiee slaveers: a mastermind and a heavy. Need a ship, leaning towards a Gozanti, and would love a new, never seen before planet environment to explore. Any help appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bsmith23 said:

Reigniting this topic, cuz I reized im running it this weekend and havent prepped!

Need ideas for what talents for my wookiee slaveers: a mastermind and a heavy. Need a ship, leaning towards a Gozanti, and would love a new, never seen before planet environment to explore. Any help appreciated. 

lol you really made them the slavers? Well maybe they have joined forces with an accomplished slaver of another species (preferably diminutive) whose family was hunted by the no-good lizard men. The Wookiees captured a bunch of Trandoshan slaves, and their friend has a supply of surgical implants he made that makes them unable to follow their carnivorous hunting instincts. The implant malfunctioned on one or more of the Trandoshans, who now find themselves in a situation that is an affront to their deity: Trandoshans robbed of their ability to seek jagganath points. 

This friend of the wookiees is probably a really bad guy, and is kind of the lynchpin of the operation, but the wooks are in the clutches of some serious desire for revenge. They have seen wookiee pelts on display and know what Trandoshans are capable of. 

The family of the wookiees know what is going on and they ask the PCs to untangle this situation. 

The Wookiee Slavers are now on the home planet of the evil slaver, a jungle world with many rivers that has a very dangerous and hard to penetrate ionosphere, and they are moving to a camp deep within the jungle where the lizard slaves will be sold off. The wookiees are acting more and more like the slaver. Their value system has been eroded by their desire for revenge. The few Trandoshans who have not been successfully altered are plotting their escape, and they have been able to hide a few simply implements of their escape. 

The idea is to do a bit of a Heart of Darkness story here, with the wooks either ending up being corrupted to savagery, or realizing that they have become the monsters that they once hated. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...