Jabberwock150

Gunboat Help

So I recently I picked up a glorious Alpha - Class Starwing. I've got a few games in with it, but I just can't seem to get the darn thing to work! I'm absolutely sure that it's my fault and I'm flying in the worst way possible ? So does anyone have some advice on how to build/fly the gunboat effectively? Any advice is very much appreciated, since I would love to actually be able to fly my gunboat well at some point!

(And because it'd probably be helpful, here are the builds I've tried)

Major Vynder (26), PTL (3), Adv. Slam (2), OS-1 (2), Harpoon Missiles (4) 

Rho Squadron Veteran (21) Crack Shot (1), HLC (7), XG-1 (1), Linked battery (2)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18), Harpoon Missiles (4) 

Edited by Jabberwock150

Your builds look fine (I'd go Guidance Chips on Vynder instead of Advanced SLAM and Long Range Scanners on the Nu if you have them, if not, don't worry), but they are a tricky ship to learn  to fly as they rely on their arcs and SLAM to reposition.

My advice, keep practising!  They can pack a mighty punch (and take one), but are better suited as hit-and-run flankers than jousters.  Don't be afraid to hang back and wait for an opportunity!

In my limited experience, Gunboats are best as a support ship, something that can hit hard and either stay at long range, or SLAM away to reload and turn around.  I've tried using them as the main hitting power in a list without success.  Others have had more luck though, so it's probably just in how I play. 

I ran two HLC/linked batts/LRS/crackshot/XG1 with Vessery with a stealth x-7 with a score to settle and it was pretty amazing.  Ran vessery out ahead a bit and kept the boats back a little to rain death on anyone who engaged.  A range 3 shot at a boat is tough and any shot at a stealth x7 is nigh impossible.  The only thing I had an issue with was Dace/Maul ion storm.

Edited by Jetfire

From my experience, if you want to bring two or more in a squad, I would go for cannons. If you want just 1 as a flanker, ordnance is probably the preferably choice and of course by ordnance I really just mean Harpoons. There are a few exceptions to this like QD and 3 Harpoon Nus but that's usually how I build squads now with Gunboats. I found that if you bring a bunch of ordnance toting Gunboats, you run into the time problem at a tournament. Which is you have quite of combat downtime while you disengage, reload and then reengage into a fight. This especially become problematic against any kind of re-genning ship. I've lost too many games to time before I could successfully kill whatever point fortress someone is running (******* Miranda).

1 hour ago, Arma Quattro said:

Rho Squadron Veteran 
Push the Limit
OS-2 Arsenal Loadout
Guidance Chips 
Harpoon Missiles

Freaking high speed terror.

If you are going in for that many points already, why not replace Chips with Advanced Slam.  Can move, slam, and then push the limit off the advanced slam to hit with target lock and focus.  Next turn, green maneuver and can still slam, reload, and target lock  and shoot again.

1 hour ago, gamblertuba said:

If you are going in for that many points already, why not replace Chips with Advanced Slam.  Can move, slam, and then push the limit off the advanced slam to hit with target lock and focus.  Next turn, green maneuver and can still slam, reload, and target lock  and shoot again.

You can’t ASLAM if your SLAM bumped, since the FAQ happened.  But you can PTL off of a SLAM bump.

1 hour ago, gamblertuba said:

If you are going in for that many points already, why not replace Chips with Advanced Slam.

Points, mainly.  30 points for the OS+1 Rho build isn't cheap, but it fits in alongside two Imperial aces pretty well.  Once you add Advanced SLAM you have to start dropping stuff on other ships.

Also, while the added utility of Advanced SLAM is definitely useful, so is the insurance of Guidance Chips.  The Gunboats have three great choices for the Modification slot, but Advanced SLAM is the only one which comes with a price tag.

I use the following:

Rho squadron: deadeye, harpoon missiles, long range scanners (or guidance chips to taste and local meta).

Take two of them plus Kylo Ren for a great time. The LRS/deadeye is a meta call for making absolutely sure no matter what they have a way to launch their harpoons. My dad flies the same list but with guidance chips - he’s vulnerable to HSCP but he’s got the guaranteed hit when he does it that way. We banter about which is better for a tournament, and it really comes down to match up. I’d say his is more reliable damage output, mine is more reliable at getting them to fire exactly when I want them to.

18 minutes ago, Superstrength79 said:

Even though it's a one-shot, I really love Lightning Reflexes when I use the gunboat. Timing it right is key, but it really helps to turn around when you need to.

This may be worth a shot! I've really been struggling to deal with the lack of a K-turn on the Gunboat's dial, and this would definitely open up more options for quickly re-entering the fight.