Darth Meanie

The Perfect Ship

What ship in the game right now do you think is in the XWM sweet spot:  fun to fly, not OP, not an NPE, and doesn't need a fix (although it may have gotten one to get there)?

I'm going to go with the TAP.  Fun and flexible, has a decent ace that sees tournament play, and has a nice generic for Epic battles.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Just now, Npmartian said:

The Falcon is pretty decent (and quite thematic) and I very much enjoy flying Rey. My second choice would be the TIE/FO, it has many pilots that can fill innumerable roles from being cheap filler to being a Swarm Leader carrier, with Omega Leader being a tournament-viable ace.

I agree with this though I only fly Rey in the Falcon (At least she cares about arcs)

Tie/fo

Kimo maybe, but that might be it’s looks

I'd pick the decimator, since it's one of the few ships where each pilot makes it fly in a completely different way whilst not being broken or underpowered. Except it's a turret. And only the Lancer has the 'correct' turret mechanics.

So, Imperial Raider. :D You'll know I'm right, if you've ever flown one.

TIE silencer

Whether a decked out sensor kylo or analysts packing fcs, optics, and thrusters, the dang thing is solid, useful, awesome looking, and fun 

Still also VERY fond of the x7, but its playstyle does not vary wildly between its pilots even if most of them are viable 

Edited by ficklegreendice

5 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

TIE silencer

Whether a decked out sensor kylo or analysts packing fcs, optics, and thrusters, the dang thing is solid, useful, awesome looking, and fun 

Still also VERY fond of the x7, but it's playstyle does not vary wildly between its pilots even if most of them are viable 

I'm inclined to agree about the Silencer. Finally just flew mine yesterday in the full Pricey Kylo configuration... and holy crap, that ship is a blast. Just dial something in without worrying too much and then pre-move boost/BR your way around whatever the board state looks like when you get that far. And yet it doesn't feel overpowered given that it's still a really expensive fixed-arc ship.

Don't hate me for all those Fenns and Ezras, but I think the Sheathipede is a winner when it comes to fun/cost/usability/"replayability" (number of different builds and roles) sweetspot.

AP-5 has become one of my very favorite pilots since its release.

19 minutes ago, Mef82 said:

Don't hate me for all those Fenns and Ezras, but I think the Sheathipede is a winner when it comes to fun/cost/usability/"replayability" (number of different builds and roles) sweetspot.

AP-5 has become one of my very favorite pilots since its release.

I mean, you're not wrong at all. Its got roles and builds to fit into, and even if it displaces the non-Norra ARC, it's because ffg was WAY too conservative with the ARC 

Only real problem is Fenn being WAY too good. The rest is an issue of synergy with Low and how stupid Miranda is, at least imo 

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

What ship in the game right now do you think is in the XWM sweet spot:  fun to fly, not OP, not an NPE, and doesn't need a fix (although it may have gotten one to get there)?

I'm going to go with the TAP.  Fun and flexible, has a decent ace that sees tournament play, and has a nice generic for Epic battles.

Overpriced generics :( I wish those ships had some cheaper pilots, so I could use them as a swarm. They are sooo pretty. 

For the most part I'd say the majority of ships in this game are "fair".

It's certain pilot abilities and/or upgrades that can make some of them OP or NPE. 

A couple examples:

Decimator is fine on its own, has great pilot abilities, none that are quite OP though. But engine upgrade is terrible on them (and other turreted ships). Also kylo crew is definetly a NPE getting those blinded pilots.

Falcon is similar. Again engine is bad, and a few combos like 3po crew with old title and Kanan crew with new title are way too good.

Gunboat and Striker for me. Both aren't ZOMG OP powerful but in the right hands they can be devastating, and if played incorrectly they TIE Punish you.

Gunboats, coming from an Imperial only player, are a dream come true. Not just because we finally got it, but our faction also got a small tough ship for once that doesn't rely on evade dice.

The Striker is just pure fun to fly and requires a lot of forward planning. Nothing is more satisfying than using the Aileron move to get past a block and then S-loop right behind your target.

Edited by Warlon

I will third all that has said about Silencers: in the right hands, they are undoubtedly the best ship in the game. However, it requires such a high game sense, spatial reasoning, and patience to fly a pricey Kylo competitively that it is impossible to argue that they are broken and "autoplays". Make a mistake, such as getting out of R3 or in arc, spending a focus too early, popping the title to early, coming in too hot or too cold, getting predictable with your greens, letting your dial get closed too early, not following through on the prime target, lose your PS11 protecting friend or Palp too early, letting your opponent know your hopes for their target priority...TLDR: you die. None of the OP stuff or even the other fair ships come close to that strictness in flying. But if a high-level player analyzes his risks and strengths, keeping his mind working the whole game, then he has himself probably a hard-earned win.

The best practice for a Silencer is to watch or play against Phil Horny or Martyn Chivers, although there are multiple valid Kylo strategies out there.

StarViper: flies differently than any other ship with MkII; interesting abilities tempered by PS or EPT access to make then NOT broken.

Striker: it is what the Interceptor should have been. 

T-70: fun abilities that synergize with different combos so pilots play very differently. 

SF: I really like playing 2-3 of them. When kitted out, you always feel like you have something meaningful to do. 

18 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Without question the perfect ship is the Tie Striker. 

It is an excellent example of how less is more can lead to better gameplay. 

Doesn't have every action in the game, mountains of health, and more than 3 upgrade slots. 

Has serious limitations that can be compensated for with skill. 

And is a pure joy to play. 

FFG_Fantasy_Flight_Games_X_Wing_Tie_Stri

CAMISETA-ROGUE-ONE-TIE-STRIKER-OVER.gif

All other opinions are wrong. 

up vote due to your conviction alone.

I think the protectorate is a good spot, similar to the Striker arguments.  

Without AML on 3 ships, and with the nerf to Dengar, you can't make Fenn too OP anymore.  

The regular pilots are fun, and the title encourages an aggressive play style, creating a themed game.  

With no shields they are high risk, high reward, lots of fun.  

16 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

1 per faction at around the same points, ish. Jess page with m9g8 optics integrated. Backseat with lwf fcs optics debris gambit. Guri with Intensity autothrusters fcs. All fun all decently survivable, with good mods, none especially annoying to fly against or super op.

Jess page? Backseat?  Pava, BackDRAFT, screw you autocorrect.

In the interest of bumping, I'd say the nerfed jm5k is about the only PWT is deem acceptable

As a piddly 2-die with a ridiculous dial and broll, it makes an incredible blocker and support ship (if you can bother to learn to position manaroo properly)

Nerfed dengar is also great because you actually have to put effort into generating the mods necessary to be effective. Without your arc, your dice trades just suck and will burn you eventually if you're not also arcdodging the opponent

He's not like Dash who will bulldoze anything outside range 1 with a giant four die turret + almost asajj tier defenses atop the ability to ignore obstacles. He's not even like Kanan Rey that can sloop on a whim in either direction if she feels like it after executing a 3-bank

I really like where the jm5k is at and hope new crew/illicits will expand its support options 

Gunboats would be my choice in a world that does not include Harpoon missiles.

T-70's are probably the closest thing that Rebels have.

Starvipers need just a little bit of action efficiency, ditto the Protectorate.

I'm really bummed that tLJ was so divisive because I think new trilogy era ships actually make for a super-fun version of X-wing.  I'd be interested to see how the lists shake out for a resistance and 1st order only tourney.