AintNoPoser

Dropping the Ball (Opinion)

3 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

The problem with the upgrade card method is they try to balance with more upgrades and if they errata stuff they won't reprint/replace the old cards. It is very Annoying. 

It usually takes a while for a reprint, but the reprinted cards do tend to have the corrected text. 

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

It usually takes a while for a reprint, but the reprinted cards do tend to have the corrected text. 

Off the top of my head, I can think of only one card that's been reprinted.

22 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Reprints of advanced slam from xwing post faq has the correct text. That’s the most recent example.

Not a reprint, but a re-release in a new pack, right?

do we have confirmation of actual REPRINTS of old packs have corrected wording?

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Reprints of advanced slam from xwing post faq has the correct text. That’s the most recent example.

When they Errata'd Royal Guards and Imperial Officers for IA they sent out corrected double sided cards in tournament kits, and enough of them that basically everyone got multiples.

Back to OPs point, I want to give them my hard-earned money but I don't want to preorder things several months in advance w/o a hard release date. I'm not complaining out of a sense of entitlement but given that the game hasn't really taken off (in my region, anyway) it seems hard to keep people excited with the game in its current state; It's good, I love it, but I need to be able to field more stuff.

If I had to play only one game each week, Armada would be a bad choice. Too hard to find a community that plays every week, month in, month out.

There is nothing dramatically wrong with how Legion has released thus far. Bumps in the road happen. And sometimes rumors don't become official.

You have time to paint more minis now. If all yours are painted, help your friends. If all theirs are painted, make more terrain. In the end, you can never have too much terrain to choose from.

21 minutes ago, Sephlar said:

If I had to play only one game each week, Armada would be a bad choice. Too hard to find a community that plays every week, month in, month out.

There is nothing dramatically wrong with how Legion has released thus far. Bumps in the road happen. And sometimes rumors don't become official.

You have time to paint more minis now. If all yours are painted, help your friends. If all theirs are painted, make more terrain. In the end, you can never have too much terrain to choose from.

FFG learned from Runewars in that they released more than just a core box. Which is great. 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:50 AM, Jukey said:

I wonder actually if the Veers release is to push at-st sales. Currently it’s really only reasonable to put one in a 800 pt army. If snowtroopers released simultaneously, everyone would have enough infantry to just lean towards higher infantry armies. Whereas, if just Veers is available for a few weeks, I know I’ll be tempted into getting a second at-st.

Or more Speeder bikes!

30 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

FFG learned from Runewars in that they released more than just a core box. Which is great. 

Xwing was released with expansion packs for xwings and ywings, tie fighters and tie advanced... and they did this 4+ years before Runewars.

17 minutes ago, Sephlar said:

Xwing was released with expansion packs for xwings and ywings, tie fighters and tie advanced... and they did this 4+ years before Runewars.

Not exactly.  The X-Wing core set was released in August of 2012 at GenCon and Wave 1 wasn't released until September 14th, about a month afterwards.  Not too long of a delay but still not released "with" the core set.

As mentioned above, FFG hasn't dropped any balls. This is FFG's normal release style across all their lines. Things get delayed all the time at FFG, stuff doesn't have a dedicated production path - it gets into the queue with everything else - consider how long reprinting their most popular stuff takes - they don't rush it. Release dates they're smart to NEVER guarantee since they can't be guaranteed. They're within quarters then update statuses on their websites. Trusting anyone's estimated release date for an FFG product is setting yourself up for failure. Releases for Legion will be sloooow. It's not a typical minis company doing this where they churn out army releases monthly or in large lots like GW does these days. They'll grind it slow and assume the interest will remain. Look to how Xwing and Armada and Runewars have released and you'll get an idea of the cycle timing for Legion. Also, assume they've underestimated their audience in some way and will underprint something along the way. 

No need to get frustrated when you realize this isn't anything at all new for FFG, it's SOP. Just have to be cool with it or move on and revisit the game a year or so after it's been out.

3 hours ago, Xiervak said:

Back to OPs point, I want to give them my hard-earned money but I don't want to preorder things several months in advance w/o a hard release date. I'm not complaining out of a sense of entitlement but given that the game hasn't really taken off (in my region, anyway) it seems hard to keep people excited with the game in its current state; It's good, I love it, but I need to be able to field more stuff.

Just don't preorder, Usually I can get stuff faster by not pre-ordering.  Just wait til it is released then buy it.

self-control and patience is hard

This isn't directed at you specifically but just the whole thread in general

1 hour ago, keltheos said:

As mentioned above, FFG hasn't dropped any balls. 

I would say they constantly drop the ball on releases, it's just that those of us who play their other products are used to them dropping it. 

I get why they don't give firm dates, but it's still frustrating when repeatedly q1 becomes q2 pushing q3. Especially after all the original talk that Asmodee would help solve logistics. 

3 hours ago, NeonWolf said:

Not exactly.  The X-Wing core set was released in August of 2012 at GenCon and Wave 1 wasn't released until September 14th, about a month afterwards.  Not too long of a delay but still not released "with" the core set.

The official retail release for Xwing Core Set (and wave I expansions) was Sept 14, 2012. Selling them at GenCon does not necessarily equate to official release. Retailers could only sell the core set (and the rest of "wave I" starting on Sept 14th.

2 hours ago, draco193 said:

I would say they constantly drop the ball on releases, it's just that those of us who play their other products are used to them dropping it. 

I get why they don't give firm dates, but it's still frustrating when repeatedly q1 becomes q2 pushing q3. Especially after all the original talk that Asmodee would help solve logistics. 

They push production back but not really dropping a ball IMO. But my expectations for them are low for timely and consistent release dates. Dropping the ball would be if Veers didn't hit stores this week, or if there's a very short supply of him.

I don't get why the company can't support their games.  I would say "better" but at this point I think "at all" is closer to reality.  Their release waves should include multiple selections for the various categories for units/decks/cards/whatever.  Their OP system should include, out of the gate, everything from casual learn to play leagues to high level competition rule sets.  In short FFG should be releasing complete games and not what are basically tech demos. 

11 hours ago, Darkfine said:

I don't get why the company can't support their games.  I would say "better" but at this point I think "at all" is closer to reality.  Their release waves should include multiple selections for the various categories for units/decks/cards/whatever.  Their OP system should include, out of the gate, everything from casual learn to play leagues to high level competition rule sets.  In short FFG should be releasing complete games and not what are basically tech demos. 

With this I totally disagree. At the moment FFG shows up every month 1 or 2 new units. With Han and commandos and one unit per month we got new minis till September. In this scenario we have a continuous growing number of different units and play styles. You have the time to paint them all and build nice terrain and tables. The unit spam like in 40k with every new codex is bulls**t , cause every second player will have more minis than time to paint them all and the same army vary from op to garbage due to the codex releases.

Edited by TobiWan