AintNoPoser

Dropping the Ball (Opinion)

So I feel I'm the only one that feels that FFG is dropping the ball on Legion. I say it first started with the Recruitment Kit. Saying it arrived in April (shortly after the release), and now with April ending and no one getting the rewards is disappointing. Then with the lack of communication with Veers and Snowtroopers with them being released together and then ends up coming separately just adds more disappointment. I got into Legion because I thought it would be treated better than Armada; which is given no love by FFG. It's just concerning for me that FFG is starting to treat all their games, and their communities, the same except for X-Wing. 

I also feel that FFG doesn't communicate with their players the way they should. With rumors of an email from Alex Davies floating around about changes to the game, and some players using that for the new rules, instead of updating the RRG splits the player base by having different rules for different groups.  Instead of doing what they said they would do, they're just treating us like every other community. 

Now, I'm not saying FFG is terrible, they make great games, it's the lack of communication between them and their player base is what could end them. Sometimes it feels like they only release new material when they're short on money or they start to see players drop (Armada). Even with me posting this and calling them out, I don't expect FFG to comment or give feedback. If they did, I'd be happy and willing to listen to why things have been so unorganized and why everything is behind schedule.

My thoughts

-FFG has definately dropped the ball on OP. But X-wing has to deal with the same problems. There are a lot of things that need to be done on that front across all their products.

-Snowtrooper delay. Yeah, this is... odd. Until Veers's release date is officially announced;, I wouldn't expect any information, though. That is what those articles are for, after all, and unless it's a Disney Tie-in product, we never get a release date more than a few weeks in advance for non-LCG products. And, unfortunately, this is unlikely to change unless Asmodee's investors pump a lot of cash into logistics.

-Dragging their feet on rules updates; Yeah, it sucks. Par for the course across games, though.

So, yeah. I don't disagree with any of your complaints, but it's not X-wing favoritism; They have to deal with it too. If it bothers you, contact FGG/Asmodee and let them know younger upset, and encourage other people to do the same.

Edited by Squark

7 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

No offence, but why are people so arsy now.

Demanding to know more than they re told, the games out a few weeks and they have 'added more disappointment' because they havnt held your hand while they released new stuff and explained to you exactly where the new stuff is.

They have said when things are expected(read 2nd quarter). If that makes you angry they dont update it every week, then oh well.

People are becoming so entitled.

Complaining about customer-manufacturer communication is perfectly valid, especially when one of FFG's chief competitors (Wizards of the Coast) is a lot better about giving people release dates well in advance (Of course, WotC has Hasbro's logistics behind them).

I really don't see why people think asking for transperancy from Developers is "entitled".

10 minutes ago, Squark said:

Complaining about customer-manufacturer communication is perfectly valid, especially when one of FFG's chief competitors (Wizards of the Coast) is a lot better about giving people release dates well in advance (Of course, WotC has Hasbro's logistics behind them).

I really don't see why people think asking for transperancy from Developers is "entitled".

It ignores the fact that they might not know, OR it might be business in confidence or confidential information - perhaps bound by their SPECIFIC agreement on licensing.

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

It ignores the fact that they might not know, OR it might be business in confidence or confidential information - perhaps bound by their SPECIFIC agreement on licensing.

Sure, but companies don't have to respond to such questions. That doesn't make people "entitled" for complaining about lack of information and failure to meet release dates (As the snowtroopers seem to have done so, releasing after Veers).

11 minutes ago, Squark said:

Why does having an arbitrary release date matter when those same dates are subject to change for reasons outside the game company’s control?

Even if they could share the guesstimates, it doesn’t really fall in line with their interests if a date shifts and then there’s perceived backlash over that. I can’t see a good reason from the companies perspective to stir the pot until they have concrete timelines. 

Literally not even one month in from release...

What arn't my new toys here?

Why are my new toys coming at different times?

Some people asked some questions, why aren't they in the official rules yet?

Why don't we know the structure of the unannounced, unplanned tournaments yet? 

My god people. Grab some minis, go have some fun. Enjoy what you have. Play, and be merry!! 

Edited by Rauhughes

I wasn't aware that Armada players have been treated poorly. I play Armada and have no problems with the game or release schedule.

As for the rules update, I had expected it to be released by now but guess they are taking their time over the clarifications. There are no changes to the game, just clarifications on rules - I don't see a problem here, some people emailed questions about rules and shared their answers.

FFG have never engaged on the forums, I don't see that changing. For the new releases, they will arrive when they arrive - we know they're coming, just need to be patient ☺ 

40 minutes ago, Ghost Dancer said:

I wasn't aware that Armada players have been treated poorly. I play Armada and have no problems with the game or release schedule.

As for the rules update, I had expected it to be released by now but guess they are taking their time over the clarifications. There are no changes to the game, just clarifications on rules - I don't see a problem here, some people emailed questions about rules and shared their answers.

FFG have never engaged on the forums, I don't see that changing. For the new releases, they will arrive when they arrive - we know they're coming, just need to be patient ☺ 

Then you must not be active over on the armada chat.  Plenty of armada is dead talk, some of it is in jest but some of it is sincere.  Armada will only get one wave this year. Radius and Thrawn should have been released in the fall of 2017 and didn’t get to stores until 2018.  Ridiculous that it took this long and that really did a lot of damage to the player base.

4 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Then you must not be active over on the armada chat.  Plenty of armada is dead talk, some of it is in jest but some of it is sincere.  Armada will only get one wave this year. Radius and Thrawn should have been released in the fall of 2017 and didn’t get to stores until 2018.  Ridiculous that it took this long and that really did a lot of damage to the player base.

Meh, I'm personally 100% okay with one wave a year for Armada.  Keep it nice and slow IMHO

1 minute ago, Zrob314 said:

I play lots of games, what exactly are you asking?

For awhile Armada was the only one I played on a weekly basis.  

I for one, play only Armada.  TO for the most part.

There is only so much excitement you can generate as a community leader and tournament organiser.  especially in light of distraction of other games systems.

There has to be something to generate positive discussion.

Armada has precious little of that, and new releases are FFGs primary source for doing that.

If all you have is Armada...  things look pretty bleak, even when the goings good.

9 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

I play lots of games, what exactly are you asking?

For awhile Armada was the only one I played on a weekly basis.  

Me too. Armada is by far my most played game. Obviously it has some competition with Legion now though ? 

I wonder actually if the Veers release is to push at-st sales. Currently it’s really only reasonable to put one in a 800 pt army. If snowtroopers released simultaneously, everyone would have enough infantry to just lean towards higher infantry armies. Whereas, if just Veers is available for a few weeks, I know I’ll be tempted into getting a second at-st.

6 hours ago, Jukey said:

I wonder actually if the Veers release is to push at-st sales. Currently it’s really only reasonable to put one in a 800 pt army. If snowtroopers released simultaneously, everyone would have enough infantry to just lean towards higher infantry armies. Whereas, if just Veers is available for a few weeks, I know I’ll be tempted into getting a second at-st.

*heads off to Tabletop Admiral to make a 2 ATST list*

(coz that just wouldnt look cool at all)

The ball dropping is nothing that hasn’t been standard ffg doing what they can. I’ve seen this behavior in xwing non stop since I joined in around wave 9 release.

I just play with my minis and have fun - can’t get too hung up on the other stuff. Been there done that. 

I still haven’t gotten a full 800 point game in even if I have the stuff for it.

It isn't that FFG has dropped the ball, rather they need to improve the standard. FFG is pretty notorious for putting mistakes in articles. How do they still do that? And some of the printing errors and mistakes people have talked about in products they have bought. I got the latest armada expansion and 2 of my plastic bases were wobbly as fucc. That shouldn't happen.

FFG sucks at releases, they are just awful, Armada lost a lot of players due to their horrible release schedule early on.

But it's part for the course, stick with it and legion won't let you down in the long run (unless they stick to their God awful balancing methods.)

26 minutes ago, Gadgetron said:

FFG sucks at releases, they are just awful, Armada lost a lot of players due to their horrible release schedule early on.

But it's part for the course, stick with it and legion won't let you down in the long run (unless they stick to their God awful balancing methods.)

The problem with the upgrade card method is they try to balance with more upgrades and if they errata stuff they won't reprint/replace the old cards. It is very Annoying.