Desslok

Gah! 50 bucks!!

Okay, this isn't a "slag off on FFG" thread or anything. Don't get the wrong impression. But. . . . yeah, I did have sticker shock. There I was, at my LFGS. I had them throw a couple of copies of Realms under the counter for me the night before, so I didn't actually ever touch them until I was handed the bag with them in. And the counter jockey said $110.xx.

Blagh! What?

I was figuring that it would be something in the 25-35 range like the Wars books had traditionally been - perhaps a touch lower as FFG doesn't have to pay The Mouse his protection money. Nope, not at all the case.

Ah well, what you gonna do. I gotta have my fix, so I walked out a c-note poorer.

Edited by Desslok

You guys are lucky, at my local store it cost me $156.65 Canadian for two of them, that’s about $68 dollars for each book. I could have picked them up online for around $50, but I wouldn’t have had it as fast and if you want to support local businesses sometime you have to pay a premium.

Breakdown of consumer cost per page, just for fun:

Star Wars

Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook: 437 pages, $59.95 USD, 7.2 pages per dollar

Fly Casual (Smuggler Sourcebook): 96 pages, $29.95 USD, 3.2 pages per dollar

Genesys

Genesys Core: 251 pages, $39.95 USD, 6.2 pages per dollar

Realms of Terrinoth 256 pages, $49.95 USD, 5.1 pages per dollar

Interestingly, a single core rulebook of Star Wars has 1 more page per dollar than Genesys Core.

However, Genesys Core and Realms of Terrinoth have the advantage of the PDF format, decreasing their costs to:

Genesys Core: 251 pages, $19.95 USD, 12.5 pages per dollar

Realms of Terrinoth: 256 pages, $24.95 USD, 10.2 pages per dollar

Another huge boon for Genesys Core is that unlike Star Wars, there probably won't be any other "Core" books that recycle the basic rules of the game, padding out additional book page counts with the same information for the same cost. Anything beyond Genesys Core will probably be brand new stuff, like what we are getting with Realms of Terrinoth.

This of course, isn't even factoring in the cost of shipping or changing costs of the books with local retailers, as I'm strictly using the FFG website for physical book costs and Drive Thru RPG for the PDF book costs.

Edited by GroggyGolem

1 hour ago, 2P51 said:

It's been pointed out cost per page is fine.  Plus I believe it was printed domestically and if a few bucks more per book sticks it to China and makes some jobs here I'm all for it.

I just put together my previous post for my own curiosity.

Now I'm wondering what is considered "fine" for costs per page?

I cheated for the Star Wars CRBs. A comics/game store near me always runs a "buy 2/get 1 free" sale twice a year (Free Comic Book Day and from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day). I picked up all three on Free Comic Book Day the year I started playing, so they averaged $40 each instead of $60.

I might do similar if I've got the extra ~$100 in a couple of weeks: get Terrinoth, the Chimera for Armada, and something else around 50 bucks on FCBD.

Edited by Nytwyng

I was originally going to invest in physical copy of the book which going through MM was 39.99 until they ran out of copies then I saw the pdf for 24.95 which I would pay for that since I am not actually into running a fantasy setting but wanted the other mechanics like additional magic stuff, so I do see spending 24.95 then all I have to do is print out what mechanics I want from the book. It is worth the 24.95 for the pdf...

On 4/21/2018 at 7:44 PM, salamar_dree said:

@Desslok

I'm confused by your surprise.

The price has been posted on the product page ever since it was announced.

You're assuming that I read the product page. I didnt even notice that it was out until someone pinged me and said "Hey, it's sold out online everywhere. You better check your FLGS."

1 hour ago, Desslok said:

You're assuming that I read the product page. I didnt even notice that it was out until someone pinged me and said "Hey, it's sold out online everywhere. You better check your FLGS."

I hate people with high Perception scores also........'you didn't see the tripwire?!?!'  'that dude was wearing a dress! you didn't notice?!?'  blahblahblah

1 hour ago, Desslok said:

Still, it's a little weird that you thought a 260 page source book would cost less than Star Wars sourcebooks weighing in at 96 to 144 pages. Unless you missed the page count, too.

Geez, penguin, put some points into your Perception skill. Gah!

35 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

I hate people with high Perception scores also........'you didn't see the tripwire?!?!'  'that dude was wearing a dress! you didn't notice?!?'  blahblahblah

On the plus side, everyone's rolling Triumphs with their Scathing Tirades.  

@Desslok I apologize if I offended you.

I've noticed how active you are on the forums, and thought it odd that you wouldn't have gone to the product page.

So maybe it's just me that's OCD about checking out the product pages for any extra info.

Multiple times.

Just in case something changed. ;)

3 hours ago, Simon Retold said:

Still, it's a little weird that you thought a 260 page source book would cost less than Star Wars sourcebooks weighing in at 96 to 144 pages. Unless you missed the page count, too.

Geez, penguin, put some points into your Perception skill. Gah!

Not all penguins...

SCNR

It’s basically the character creation section of a Star Wars Core book with all the details from a region book, plus more. I’m very happy with the purchase even if it does feel a touch light in some of the mechanics areas... it’s almost as if they assume we will add our own bits to it ?