WillisRBC

Terrinoth - Humans and magic skills

Page 115 says, in no uncertain terms, that you may not purchase ranks in a magic skill unless that skill is a career skill. Meaning there's nothing, mechanically, stopping you from gaining one free (non-purchased) rank in a magic skill.

But then what? You'll be stuck with only 1 rank forever. Unless you take a talent that grants that skill as a career skill, of course.

I would tend towards saying no, the human should not be able to take a rank in a magic skill at creation. But I guess it could be a cool part of a character concept, and perhaps I could be convinced; making accidental spells happen, it would probably work particularly well with Verse.

12 hours ago, c__beck said:

Page 115 says, in no uncertain terms, that you may not purchase ranks in a magic skill unless that skill is a career skill. Meaning there's nothing, mechanically, stopping you from gaining one free (non-purchased) rank in a magic skill.

But then what? You'll be stuck with only 1 rank forever. Unless you take a talent that grants that skill as a career skill, of course.

It would be like a Knight who later gets ordained by his order, and can then tap into Divine magic. The talent would represent that. Etc. There are tons of fantasy tropes where someone doesn't really unlock their magical potential until later. 

56 minutes ago, Tedrion said:

It would be like a Knight who later gets ordained by his order, and can then tap into Divine magic. The talent would represent that. Etc. There are tons of fantasy tropes where someone doesn't really unlock their magical potential until later. 

Although we have the Runemaster, Templar and Bard Talents for those I do agree that’s one way to describe it. It could also be the Barbarian who’s ferocity in battle comes from more than just the prayers to Khorne. Or the village wise woman who has an innate, some may say miraculous, sense for healing. 

IDK, like I said I probably wouldn’t allow it but I can’t see a reason beyond personal preference for that.

1 hour ago, Tedrion said:

The Force Awakens.

Just now, lyinggod said:

Actually "The Force Leaps Out of Bed, Fully Awake, Dressed, and Bypassing Coffee"

Hah. Well seeing as how it was made clear why it was so powerful of an "awakening" in the next installment of the franchise, there isn't much to say in response except, yeah, pretty much.