Stacie_GmrGrl

Opinions on Realms of Terrinoth

47 minutes ago, Grungyape said:

I'll get flack, I'm sure, but... as one of the people who no longer have time to make their own worlds, monsters, etc.  How is this book in regards to "I have enough spells, monsters, talents and skills" to play a campaign/adventure?

I love the system (when I got pulled in via Star Wars), but won't pretend I don't still rely heavily on someone else's fantasy setting because it is "complete" and "ready to run".

Full PC kit.

75 monsters from Kobold to Ancient Dragon.

Lots and lots of setting; minimal help turning setting in to an adventure.

An adventure would have made the book super stellar in my opinion.  I'm liking what I've read and glad to have some background for the world setting, but I wish there were some adventure seeds or plot points.  Savage Worlds does a great job with a lot of its splat books and they generally take very little room (pages) so I am clueless why something so useful was left out?

39 minutes ago, GrumpyBatman said:

An adventure would have made the book super stellar in my opinion.  I'm liking what I've read and glad to have some background for the world setting, but I wish there were some adventure seeds or plot points.  Savage Worlds does a great job with a lot of its splat books and they generally take very little room (pages) so I am clueless why something so useful was left out?

I would assume because they generally take a lot more thought than blerging lore all over your keyboard.

I had completely forgot about this book. I was really looking forward to it but hate waiting for things so I put Genesys away (temporarily) and was focusing on my D&D game. Then today I was at the LGS and saw them on the shelf. Now I need to go to DTRPG to see if the PDF is out. 

6 hours ago, twincast said:

Proofreading: Encountered almost no missing, superfluous or misspelled words, so that's great, but sadly two minor typos stick out like sore thumbs due to the circumstances they appear in - namely "Splig, King of All Golbins" due to being in large letters and "Coordination (PR)" due to being on the character sheet. For context, the latter is the only case on it in which the abbreviation for a Characteristic is given in all upper-case letters. And they've had how many months since GenCon 2017 to fix this? Jeez.

5 hours ago, twincast said:

Well, "almost no" was by TRPG standards, of course, and I admittedly haven't checked for semantic errors, only for syntactic ones.

Heh, look at that. I just downloaded the character sheet onto my PC and unlike the one I had downloaded onto my smartphone yesterday (and the one at the back of my DriveThru PDF), Coordination is formatted - and much more importantly, listed - correctly. You see, true to the second post of mine I'm quoting above, I had been so distracted by the capital PR glaring at me, I hadn't even realized it was the wrong Characteristic for the Skill, to boot. Well, I'm glad that's finally dealt with.

I like the book. I’m not the biggest fan of fantasy RPG settings. That being the case, there is still a lot here I can use outside of a fantasy setting. This book raises a couple questions for me though.

Are there going to be more Terrinoth books?

Will we be seeing any expansions that aren’t setting based, such as a Genesys Guide to ________? I really enjoy world building with my players. While the quality of the book is great, half of it is background on a world I’ll never use. This isn’t a knock on the product at all. I’ll just never use half of a $50 expansion. I’d rather get more tools and assets than history.

With Terrinoth released, how long until we get another Genesys announcement? I would have thought we’d have already gotten an official announcement on the website. I know it’s fairly common knowledge that Android is next, but nothing is official. 

31 minutes ago, glewis2317 said:

I like the book. I’m not the biggest fan of fantasy RPG settings. That being the case, there is still a lot here I can use outside of a fantasy setting. This book raises a couple questions for me though.

Are there going to be more Terrinoth books?

Will we be seeing any expansions that aren’t setting based, such as a Genesys Guide to ________? I really enjoy world building with my players. While the quality of the book is great, half of it is background on a world I’ll never use. This isn’t a knock on the product at all. I’ll just never use half of a $50 expansion. I’d rather get more tools and assets than history.

With Terrinoth released, how long until we get another Genesys announcement? I would have thought we’d have already gotten an official announcement on the website. I know it’s fairly common knowledge that Android is next, but nothing is official. 

Well it did took only 1.5 month to announce Realms of Terrinoth after releasing Core, so I'm guessing the next Realm book will be announced in mid-May then Released 3 month later in mid-august? I'm pretty sure that FFG is planning to invest in this system, as they are selling like hot cakes it seems (RoT is sold out already in their webstore).

Now the first question is making me ponder too as is this going to be the same strategy with FFG:SW, where there are 3 different cores and they will expand each separately? I think this one is concerned with how popular Terrinoth's setting is going to be, as it only matters if the consumers want more from Terrinoth's setting to expand it. FFG:SW was expanded because it's Star Wars and Star Wars everyone wants, but would everyone want Terrinoth (or perhaps would we be desperate for crunch to buy more Terrinoth)? I'm pretty sure there's going to be a adventure module at least, but a row of source book is much bigger investment. Maybe they'll get all the setting books out first, and see which one to invest more heavily on. 

Edited by HelloRPG
Grammar

Fluf: I have barely read any, but I do really like the section on different magic users. I think it’s so great for players to be able to read an idea and then develop their own ideas of what that looks like. The way that elves are described as using Divine, Primal, Arcane and Verse is great, the Warriors who dance and sing into battle is just awesome (wardancers from Warhammer obviously) they swear to not speak, only blessing their blades and chanting as they fight, it’s such a simple combination of a Voice and Melee Fighter that works so well.

Mounted combat is both simple but useful, 1 manoeuvre to move twice. But the best bit is your character is always the target unless the attacker Aims (with 2 Setback) for your mount. Being limited in benefits really opens the door for great talents to build upon it too.

The Craftsmanship concept is awesome, some make it cheaper but with drawbacks, others make items far more expensive but for significant benefits. The concept can easily be carried over to other settings, from a medieval setting through to a Sci-fi setting, simply by renaming them. Eg Medieval May be: Stone (instead of Iron), Bronze (the normal, Instead of Steel), Iron (instead of Dwarven), Steel (Instead of Elven), Artisan (Instead of Ancient).

Implement Materials is another excellent system, simple and easy to modify for your own needs.

Runes are awesome too, again easily portable to other settings where magic comes directly from an item (Flintlock Mages came straight to mind). I’m surprised there’s no rules for crafting runes, and it’s not stated that a Rune Master should start with a Lesser Rune which they actually require to cast spells.

The addition of a specific starting gear list to each Career is great, the value of each is more than what you normally get and it gives a nice theme to your character with just enough options for flexibility too.

I definitely love the artwork, and look forward to diving into the fluff, I look forward to an adventure or three in this setting for sure.

1 hour ago, Richardbuxton said:

Runes are awesome too, again easily portable to other settings where magic comes directly from an item (Flintlock Mages came straight to mind). I’m surprised there’s no rules for crafting runes, and it’s not stated that a Rune Master should start with a Lesser Rune which they actually require to cast spells.

The Runemaster sidebar on page 71 deals with this. If you’re playing a Runemaster you take the Mage career, replacing Arcane with Runes and the starting implement with a lesser rune.

The Scholar, on the other hand, does not start with one it seems.

Like I said... This book is a tease. It gives 'just enough' to get by on and enough setting to have a good grasp to get started with but it doesn't add anything to help Genesys Core to expand on the toolkit approach GC was written to be.

On making Terrinoth a golden opportunity to make RoT a fantasy setting Toolkit... There is No real adventure or campaign building help here at all.

This book is very much written for people who already have a solid foundation for creating their own campaign material. A very traditional rpg setting book. 

1 hour ago, iJiminy said:

The Runemaster sidebar on page 71 deals with this. If you’re playing a Runemaster you take the Mage career, replacing Arcane with Runes and the starting implement with a lesser rune.

The Scholar, on the other hand, does not start with one it seems.

Somehow I read that side bar but missed the bit about the Rune! Thanks.

The Scholar is an interesting spec, the idea of someone who is knowledgeable about runes but doesn’t use them regularly is cool, but perhaps a performer or minstrel would have been better. The talent Bard really means it doesn’t matter though, a Bard can be anyone.

50 minutes ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

Like I said... This book is a tease. It gives 'just enough' to get by on and enough setting to have a good grasp to get started with but it doesn't add anything to help Genesys Core to expand on the toolkit approach GC was written to be.

On making Terrinoth a golden opportunity to make RoT a fantasy setting Toolkit... There is No real adventure or campaign building help here at all.

This book is very much written for people who already have a solid foundation for creating their own campaign material. A very traditional rpg setting book. 

Genesys Core Page 236: Build an adventure.

Could this book have contained more? Definitely. Name a supplement you couldn’t say that about.

But I can’t agree with you this is a tease or incomplete, I have more than enough material here to run a Terrinoth game and I’m already mining chunks for use in several of my own homebrews.

What are the omissions that you feel should be there?

3 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

the best bit is your character is always the target unless the attacker Aims (with 2 Setback) for your mount

Huh. That's kind of the opposite of how I ran it with star wars, seeing as your mount is the bigger target.

8 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

Huh. That's kind of the opposite of how I ran it with star wars, seeing as your mount is the bigger target.

That was always my thinking too, but I guess they figured to simplify things then you’re always assumed to be targeting the person in control, after all you kill the rider you can take their mount!

I’m still reading through the crunch and have skimmed the fluff as I’m not planning on playing in Terrinoth (yet...). 

I really like the book. It confirms all the good feelings I had about the core book as something with strong potential. 

Re concept books (eg ‘Genesys Magic’) versus world books (eg RoT): when you ask people why they prefer game X over generic system Y it is (in my experience) almost always the fluff or lack of it that they talk about. I reckon the 80% or RPers are attracted by fluff whilst only 20% are attracted by rules (made up numbers, you get the idea...). So I think creating world books that can be used with a small amount of effort as a source of new crunch is probably a pretty smart approach from a business point of view. 

3 hours ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

This is exactly what I was worried about. I never play in a setting I didn't make. I was really hoping for this to be a fantasy toolkit. Not that this is a problem with the book, necessarily, but it is a problem for me buying it. I don't think I will.

To the OP. So this is my take on it. Fair warning, I don't like it. This is the first time I've been disappointed by a FFG roleplaying product. I regret buying the book.

I think the fluff is so generic and bland as to be useless. I could have just thought of this world on my own by thinking the words "generic fantasy." The jamming in of arabian, viking, undead land, and South American lizard people continent is jarring and cringeworthy. But at least we get a stereotypical European middle Kingdom and all that entails for world view, etc.

There is little to no inspiration for making a campaign or adventure, unless you didn't already have "kill kobolds" in your back pocket. 

And of all the races, there is only one "half" race... And it's half cat person.

Because out of the choices of green human, short human, human with pointy ears, apparently we just want to have sex with animals.

Fluffwise, everything is so jammed in that none of it has any meaningful impact to the world.

I'm still looking at the crunch stuff. But I've been disappointed or feel neutral on it so far. The races seem particularly bad to me and I'm not sure why players wouldn't just run orcs for the 100xp, allowing you to have two 3s and a 4. That's not an option for everyone else (except half cat people). Elves with a divine career skill and free rank... But with a 1 in willpower. It just all seems designed to disappoint the players.

Weapons are fine but not enough. Same with armour (although I recognize you can only have so many iterations of +1 or 2 soak). Gear is what, two pages? And they wasted space on a pole? Yeesh, just.. more, there needs to be more. 

Anyway, that's just my feelings at the moment and I'm upset, so take it all with a grain of salt. 

Overall, I like the book. The crunch is what I bought if for anyway. Item materials are a great way to start fleshing out the world and making things feel more "alive" without adding a dozen different types of armor or weapons. Runes look to be a fun/easy idea to adapt to other settings or to make the primary implement for all classes.

My only real complaint is the Primalist career. Having Brawl, Melee Heavy, and Primal seems super redundant. 

I purchased ROT because I wanted more pre-fab fantasy elements, and ended up falling in love with the setting. And this surprised me, I mean Terrinoth doesn’t bring anything new to the table...but the book was so evocative, I think I will enjoy it. So that was a bonus. 

Also, I’ve enthusiastically embraced the spartan toolkit nature of Genesys, so I wasn’t looking for a ton of crunch and I really loved what the book presented (especially item materials—-cause on of my campaigns is a Bronze Age Mythic Earth type thing). So I am an overjoyed customer. 

Yet, I do agree that magic could’ve been more fleshed out. I could see how my potentially idiosyncratic take on Terrinothian magic might be radically off-base if I were to join a game with someone deeply immersed in the setting from the board games. 

23 hours ago, twincast said:

Weapons and Armor: Halberds, shields and war hammers each have a line worthy of major eye-rolling, but generally the fluff has much improved from the CRB.

Somehow I missed an equally ridiculous line for greataxes. Also, the entries for maces and slings deserve some minor eye-rolling, which I deliberately didn't bother mentioning. Not so after realizing the following:

I must have read the entry a dozen times and am now 100% certain that what they call a "greatsword" is actually a longsword. Or moreover an absurd hodgepodge of all sizes of two-handed swords, not accurately reflecting any of them. Explains why there's no shortsword or longsword.

Suddenly all the goodwill from some other gear descriptions has gone up in smoke. And just when I'd decided to refrain from messing much with the system beyond moving some Skills to different Characteristics and simply changing bows and slings from "dam X" to "dam +[X-3]", after all. Yes, I can easily fix this for our sessions by replacing all mentions of "greatsword" with "longsword", but it leaves a tremendously sour taste.

Also, since this and the description of spears erased all lingering doubt that for both Melee and Ranged the one and only defining distinction for FFG between Light and Heavy weapons is whether they are one-handed or two-handed, that raises the question why they didn't just call them such instead of using ambiguous terminology.

51 minutes ago, twincast said:

Somehow I missed an equally ridiculous line for greataxes. Also, the entries for maces and slings deserve some minor eye-rolling, which I deliberately didn't bother mentioning. Not so after realizing the following:

I must have read the entry a dozen times and am now 100% certain that what they call a "greatsword" is actually a longsword. Or moreover an absurd hodgepodge of all sizes of two-handed swords, not accurately reflecting any of them. Explains why there's no shortsword or longsword.

Suddenly all the goodwill from some other gear descriptions has gone up in smoke. And just when I'd decided to refrain from messing much with the system beyond moving some Skills to different Characteristics and simply changing bows and slings from "dam X" to "dam +[X-3]", after all. Yes, I can easily fix this for our sessions by replacing all mentions of "greatsword" with "longsword", but it leaves a tremendously sour taste.

Also, since this and the description of spears erased all lingering doubt that for both Melee and Ranged the one and only defining distinction for FFG between Light and Heavy weapons is whether they are one-handed or two-handed, that raises the question why they didn't just call them such instead of using ambiguous terminology.

Are you some sort of medieval weapons expert?

It's a nice book.  I picked it up about 95% for the adversaries and wasn't looking for much else. 

I have my own setting I'm using. 

Not real concerned with things like PC races, doing that my own way already anyway. 

Some of the nice additionals I am finding useful and wasn't counting on were the Talents and items.  I didn't really care about how weapons were done and what I brewed up on my own prior to the launch of Genesys was pretty close to what they put out regardless.  The thing I like about the mechanics of weapons in the system overall is that there is so many different ways at coming up with 'magic' or 'special' weapons and armor, as opposed to +1, +2 etc.

I beat this drum in Star Wars and I will for this system, I like modular encounters, I can plug them into my own campaigns.  I don't like long winded adventure/campaign books, as they leave me feeling like I am studying for a test.  They gave away the Gencon starting adventure for free which I'm sure is why this book doesn't have an intro adventure.

In regards to campaign building, that's a matter of writing stories imo, and about 500 years ago when I went to school I learned how to do that in class.

I think overall it gives enough direction and jump start for a GM to work with.  If this is the first setting book comparing the Star Wars splatbooks, this one is setting a high bar I think, they'll only get better.