Stacie_GmrGrl

Opinions on Realms of Terrinoth

On 4/23/2018 at 1:57 PM, Sturn said:

The repeating crossbow was used well before Medieval times (BC) and the hand crossbow existed at least by the Renaissance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Crossbow_pistol_IMG_3841.jpg (museum picture)

Thus, in my opinion, neither should be termed ludicrous in a Medieval fantasy setting especially one with a section discussing clockwork devices. Each should have weaknesses, but they were used even in reality.

The keyword is FANTASY. Nothing here is rooted in any ONE period of history - or ANY history.  Not to mention the magic and monsters and ... well you get the picture. Have fun!

Edited by Gamemasterbob
clarity

1 hour ago, Gamemasterbob said:

The keyword is FANTASY. Nothing here is rooted in any ONE period of history - or ANY history.  Not to mention the magic and monsters and ... well you get the picture. Have fun!

Are you replying to me or Twincast? If you re-read I think you will find that we (you and I) are in total agreement? I was responding to the assertion by Twincast that the repeating or hand crossbow was a ludicrous idea in Terrinoth. I pointed  out that even in reality, both existed, let alone in a medieval fantasy setting.  So, yep, in total agreement it appears?

While I love the setting, and have loved it for other games...I got the book looking forward to getting a few bits of solid info. Sadly, it didn't have it. I was looking for each city (that is in Runebound, Descent, etc.) and it's symbol and demographic info, some key locations, etc. Nope. I was looking for info on the gods...nope, just a brief paragraph, nothing on symbols, colors worn, names for priests, etc. Nothing about the celestial bodies of the game world, or terms for coinage, calendar, etc. You know, the basics that are with any game world setting. The maps were barely any new info than what was previously online, and even then it differed in some ways with previous info. I'm not sure why the thousands of years of history were so detailed (and without many dates, it was hard to envision the timeline)...but it wasn't needed (or wanted). I was curious about the history, but it seemed at odds with previous info, and this was more confusing than helpful. It really left out a LOT of creatures in the game setting (from previous games)....I will say the art was fantastic though. I enjoyed the little bit I could get out of the book....I just really expected a lot more actual usable info for a campaign, in a world setting book. I really hope they expand on this, and give us something with this kind of info.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:42 PM, IamGazrok said:

While I love the setting, and have loved it for other games...I got the book looking forward to getting a few bits of solid info. Sadly, it didn't have it. I was looking for each city (that is in Runebound, Descent, etc.) and it's symbol and demographic info, some key locations, etc. Nope. I was looking for info on the gods...nope, just a brief paragraph, nothing on symbols, colors worn, names for priests, etc. Nothing about the celestial bodies of the game world, or terms for coinage, calendar, etc. You know, the basics that are with any game world setting. The maps were barely any new info than what was previously online, and even then it differed in some ways with previous info. I'm not sure why the thousands of years of history were so detailed (and without many dates, it was hard to envision the timeline)...but it wasn't needed (or wanted). I was curious about the history, but it seemed at odds with previous info, and this was more confusing than helpful. It really left out a LOT of creatures in the game setting (from previous games)....I will say the art was fantastic though. I enjoyed the little bit I could get out of the book....I just really expected a lot more actual usable info for a campaign, in a world setting book. I really hope they expand on this, and give us something with this kind of info.

I think all of this is down to the fact it very much seems like Realms of Terrinoth was put together by researching what was in the Terrinoth games and bringing it together- and that it might actually be the first time FFG did so in such depth. I actually think it's done that very well, especially as even older versions of games such as Descent first edition are covered in the content.

Thus I don't think much new was added. I agree it would be good to see FFG build on this now they've collated this (from what seems to be something of an in-house research project to create the source book) Terrinoth/Mennara info - they could flesh it out a bit more and improve on things like map content for example. I'm sure we'll get more though- they'll likely do the missing creatures as adversary decks or/and a bestiary and some of this potentially more detailed content may pop up in a published adventure or two as I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these in future.

There is however more depth and info there than you think at first- it just takes a little digging and piecing together. It does actually have quite a lot to work with, some of the gems being tucked away in the text or split across different overlapping bits of text, ah, that relates to that- linked info isn't always in the same place. If you are creating game adventures it can be good not having everything defined though as you can decide some of these things to fit what you want to do with the parts of the lore you're exploring. Yet there are also plenty of adventures you can build just from what's in the book as it has plenty of story seeds and the information to feed and water them.