Boom Owl

Actual Question About X-Wing

When building a list for a tournament given the current meta what would be your prefer to take:

• Option 1: 
    • Take a list that is best equipped to deal with Ghost/Fenn & variations on Lowhrick/Fenn
  • Option 2:
    • Take a list that is best equipped to deal with the "counters" to Ghost/Fenn & variations on Lowhrick/Fenn
  • Option 3:
    • Take a list that is Ghost/Fenn or variations on Lowhrick/Fenn

Imagine your forced to choose between the three options. 

"I choose you: (Insert Option Here)" is the appropriate format and volume of detail for your response.  

a0OmJz.gif

Edited by Boom Owl

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

Two jumpmasters pre-FAQ. :) 

Honestly, I just kind of bring what I think I can do well with, regardless of if it counters Ghost-Fenn or counters the counters. 

Right but if you had to choose between lists that can do one of those things better. What would you choose? 

I get there is nuance to decision making. Less interested in that. 

I guess option one is best fit for me. though what I would actually bring may not be any of these options. I'm currently prepping for a hangar bay event coming up in a few weeks and I have one list that is specifically built to counter ghost/fenn and the like. and the other is the one that I'll fly vs everything else. 

Option 3. I'm not the greatest player in the world, nor am I in a large enough community (there's more or less 3 of us interested in competitive X-wing) to have a realistic shot at developing and practicing anti-meta lists. For the level I'm at, Ghost/Fenn works well enough.

I choose you, option 3!

I love playing all kinds of stuff that's Rebel.. To be frank, if it was a upcoming Q1 tournament, I would probably bring Lothal/Fenn, option 3. 
(Very unpopular opinion incoming!) I normally despise netlisting, but at the systems open, I sparred my friends with the lothal/fenn list... and despite it being insane, I actually think it is a fun list to play (I havent played more than 20 games with it, so limited experience), that looks extremely thematic! I mean, yes it is from rebels, but almost every single upgrade is from the series, and you really feel like you are commanding the spectres with the list ;-) 

It has some bad matchups, and the mirror is as all mirrors not very exciting unless you are very skilled in the mirror I think. 

I like that the list is all about maneuvers (I played a ton of heragator before, so for me this is an actually GOOD version of it), but you still have to be worried about stress lists, getting boxed in, being ionized and all the other crap that kills the ship. 

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Right but if you had to choose between lists that can do one of those things better. What would you choose? 

I get there is nuance to decision making. Less interested in that. 

Guess that means I need to do more meta analysis on the lists I like and see which category they fall more into. :( 

5 minutes ago, Sarcon said:

I am a bad person

Nah its just plastic space ships.

Also for the record, Nym Miranda is basically jank at this point. It doesnt even have good defense.

Edited by Boom Owl

1 minute ago, Boom Owl said:

Also for the record, Nym Miranda is basically jank at this point. It doesnt even have good defense.

Good to know, I'll remind my opponents who complain about my list that it's just jank.

I’d probably go with option 1. Expertise Rey is in that camp and I love flying her. 

That said, Ghost/Finn does have some thematic interest for me. I would need to research it more, but the build that uses Synched Turret sounds interesting to try. 

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Good defense is don't joust it.  Don't get behind it.  And when in doubt...slam dat *** out of danger.