BigBadAndy

Speeder bike magnet mod - basing suggestions?

Hi All,

I have a WIP thread going but I wanted to pose a specific question.  I am putting magnets under my bases for storage purposes, and when it came time to attach the speeder bike to the base I (somewhat impulsively) realized that I could put a magnet on the bottom of the post and this would be attracted to the well centered magnet underneath.  I figured this would let me take it off if I needed to and would also set up a “break point” for the speeder to fall off if it was dropped - possibly saving the flimsy plastic post.

This all works great, although the speeder pretty freely rotates which might be an issue if somehow we lose track of the facing in game.  

Anyway, I now need to decorate the base and I’m trying to think of how to do this while disguising the magnet but not interfering with it.  Any ideas?

I’m at work but I will try to post a picture later.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

... and when it came time to attach the speeder bike to the base I (somewhat impulsively) realized that I could put a magnet on the bottom of the post and this would be attracted to the well centered magnet underneath.

I have been theorising on this very idea - looking forward to seeing pics! 

This all works great, although the speeder pretty freely rotates which might be an issue if somehow we lose track of the facing in game.  

Paint the "front" arc lines in a different colour to the base (and the rear ones in the same colour as the base) - sort of like the lines on a standard X-Wing base - that way the arc helps define the facing more so than the model. 

Edited by ABXY

Posted (edited)

Anyway, I now need to decorate the base and I’m trying to think of how to do this while disguising the magnet but not interfering with it.  Any ideas? 

If you have a drill bit just very slightly wider than the post magnet, you could create a shallow counter-sunk hole for the magnet to "plug" into so that peg sits flush with the top of the base - especially if the post magnet is smaller than the bottom of the post. This might help with the spinning problem too. 

Edited by ABXY

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Deddog said:

These pics might help you

plan to glue magnets into the clay once it has dried

Airspeeder:
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0i5oqs3qNLQLg

That’s slick.  With the two magnets it should work great and not rotate freely.  I am going to try to do something similar.  I got some basing gel and I’m going to see what I can do.

Here’s the pics @ABXY:

OAeUsLT.jpgThe magnet is a bit larger than the peg - basically because that’s what I had lying around and as I said - I didn’t actually think too much about it.  I just got all jazzed about magnetizing things.  Lol, I think watching a tutorial on magnetizing the ATRT guns is what actually convinced me to buy the core set,

Edited by BigBadAndy

When decorating the base, you could put 2 small stones on it to represent rocks. Strategically place them at the from of the magnetized peg, against which you could super glue a third stone. With two stones of the base locking the one on the peg in place, the speeder bike shouldn't be able to rotate at all, even if the magnets are strong enough to prevent most of the turning around anyways.