Sign in to follow this  
Tabris2k

Take on the Phoenix by Tobin Lopes

In what seems that will be a series of articles written by guest writers, after Joe Habes’ take on Crab clan, Art of Warcast co-creator, Tobin Lopes, bring us a fantastic piece explaining why Phoenix is the best clan in Rokugan (Duh...), and how we’re too humble to brag about it. 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/18/the-guardians-of-the-soul/

Great read Tobin! I'm a big fan of the Art of Warcast and it's great to see FFG giving community members more of a chance to contribute. That said...Shameful Display over Kuroi Mori? I can't even count the number of times a Phoenix player has had me banging my head against the wall of his stronghold by flipping the conflict type every turn. It's a real game saver. 

48 minutes ago, Eisenmerc said:

Great read Tobin! I'm a big fan of the Art of Warcast and it's great to see FFG giving community members more of a chance to contribute. That said...Shameful Display over Kuroi Mori? I can't even count the number of times a Phoenix player has had me banging my head against the wall of his stronghold by flipping the conflict type every turn. It's a real game saver. 

Well he did mention that his primary strategy is dishonor.

Posted (edited)

What beats Phoenix these days? As a Lion loyalist, I find Phoenix almost unbeatable. 

I also play Crab for fun, they aren't doing that much better against Phoenix.

How my fellow lions are doing against the honorable Phoenix? 

And the other clans, who is the Phoenix nemesis? 

Edited by Jehovah Netto

39 minutes ago, Jehovah Netto said:

What beats Phoenix these days? As a Lion loyalist, I find Phoenix almost unbeatable. 

I also play Crab for fun, they aren't doing that much better against Phoenix.

How my fellow lions are doing against the honorable Phoenix? 

And the other clans, who is the Phoenix nemesis? 

Scorpion's practically a silver bullet at present.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, Eisenmerc said:

Yeah, I knew that might be the point at which I lost people. :)

In all seriousness, whenever I play Phx it seemed like I was playing another game of "just don't get dishonored" that the other player wasn't playing. And so Shameful helped with that while KM bought me a few turns it didn't help if I couldn't keep from being dishonored. :)

And thanks for listening!

-tpl

To be fair the core stronghold rewards honored status and punishes dishonored status.  Shameful is perfectly fine to take as your void province.  You also have to consider that the metagame up to now has been dominated by Scorpion, so having some protection in the honored/dishonored status war is pretty important.

If you're not as worried about honored/dishonored then Shameful loses some of its value. It will be interesting to see how things change now that Phoenix has so many options, and Scorpion isn't a natural predator to all of them anymore