Sign in to follow this  
DScipio

DX-9 / ATR-6 instead of Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter / Gar Saxon

Would anyone of you mind if your opponent would use the minituares of the Delta-class DX-9 Stromtrooper transport (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Delta-class_DX-9_stormtrooper_transport) and the Gamma-class ATR-6 Assualt transport (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gamma-class_ATR-6_assault_transport)

instead of the Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter (DX-9) and Gar Saxon (ATR-6)?

70 Fleet 8mm Troop Shuttles X8 3d printed(Armada) 6x DX-9 Stormtrooper Transport 3d printed

While I don't go past the Region tier of competition, I never mind if somebody has alternate models for some stuff. Most of the times it gives me something to spark up friendly conversation over while we play. 

But YMMV... There's always a (insert whatever word you'd like here) out there who's going to be against it. 

Do u have 3 gozanti? Or more than 2? Stick a model on each gauntlet base and paint them black for spec ops delivery vehicle(or your favourite colour) :D

Of course, tournament is no-go. But I'm sure most casual opponents would be cool with mods as long as you tell them beforehand and indicate clearly what is what. Ask them first before playing, and have the originals around if they don't agree. :)

14 minutes ago, DScipio said:

As someone who doesnt go to tournaments: Why is the model there an issue? 

Couple of things:  

1- Readability: You’ve learnt certain shape things do certain things.  Suddenly there is a different shape doing that thing.  At the end of a long tournament day, when everyone starts getting tired; this will catch people out.

2- Offical Components:  In a tournament, you need to have FFG produced equipment.  You need the ships, the upgrade cards, the rulers, everything else is technically not allowed.

However, just like people let their opponent use various length third-party range rulers, they might be happy with alternative models. Just bring both, and you can’t go wrong.

34 minutes ago, CyborgNinja said:

I've been playing with alternate models at tournaments for awhile now -- I always offer to switch to the actual model, but I've never had an opponent who takes me up on it.

This. I’ve had opponents with alternate/modified models and they’ve always asked if I was cool with it and offered to swap to official if I wasn’t. I’ve always appreciated that and have never had issue with it.

My only concern would be inconsistency. If your first Gauntlet looks like a gauntlet but the second looks like a Gozanti, then I might have issues.

My favorite is still a guy who used one of the triple-figure squad stands and mounted a transport and two Xwings to it. It looked pretty **** nice.

Consistency and accountability to your opponent - good sportsmanship through avoidance of deception, even unintentional forms - is the reason for it.

Especially when someone has an idea of what the alternate thing dies that doesn’t match with your thoughts... 

For example, I own a bunch of Assault Gunboats... day to day, I use them for different things... basically to fill gaps in the imperial looking line... thus means sometimes they are Firesprays, sometimes YV666s, Decimators or even Gauntkets...

but it I know people who use their gunboats only fir bomber aces, and when they see MY gunboats, that’s what they mentally attribute - even though I’ve been open with it, it’s confusing to them.

So, when it matters - in a tournament- I don’t even ask, I just switch back... but casual and Corellian games, that’s different. 

2 hours ago, TheCallum said:

Couple of things:  

1- Readability: You’ve learnt certain shape things do certain things.  Suddenly there is a different shape doing that thing.  At the end of a long tournament day, when everyone starts getting tired; this will catch people out.

2- Offical Components:  In a tournament, you need to have FFG produced equipment.  You need the ships, the upgrade cards, the rulers, everything else is technically not allowed.

However, just like people let their opponent use various length third-party range rulers, they might be happy with alternative models. Just bring both, and you can’t go wrong.

1- I thought that, however many games allow variantion even on the tournament level. So instead of banning it, you should limit it to ban only confusion. Take may approach for example, the transports are more know to a lot of people than the gauntlet fighters itself.

29 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Consistency and accountability to your opponent - good sportsmanship through avoidance of deception, even unintentional forms - is the reason for it.

Especially when someone has an idea of what the alternate thing dies that doesn’t match with your thoughts... 

For example, I own a bunch of Assault Gunboats... day to day, I use them for different things... basically to fill gaps in the imperial looking line... thus means sometimes they are Firesprays, sometimes YV666s, Decimators or even Gauntkets...

but it I know people who use their gunboats only fir bomber aces, and when they see MY gunboats, that’s what they mentally attribute - even though I’ve been open with it, it’s confusing to them.

So, when it matters - in a tournament- I don’t even ask, I just switch back... but casual and Corellian games, that’s different. 

Unintententional Deception? Is that possible?

Still I think a small communication: "My Gunboats are Firesprays" solves the problem better than banning it and whole toruney scenes (Games Workshop for example) work fine with that attitude.

14 minutes ago, DScipio said:

1- I thought that, however many games allow variantion even on the tournament level. So instead of banning it, you should limit it to ban only confusion. Take may approach for example, the transports are more know to a lot of people than the gauntlet fighters itself.

Unintententional Deception? Is that possible?

Still I think a small communication: "My Gunboats are Firesprays" solves the problem better than banning it and whole toruney scenes (Games Workshop for example) work fine with that attitude.

“Work Fine” is VERY relative... as a 15year TO of 40k system tournaments... yeah, sorry, can’t sell me on that ?

I need to remember they are firesorays now... but last game I used them as Gsuntkets... at the end of a tournament game, I look across the table and my brain goes:

“Gunboats. Gauntlets” instead of firesprays.

And I change my tactics, and potentially lose.

I could ask you to clarify for the 39th time, but neither of us should have to deal with that. ?

Thats all it is.

Again, not a problem in casual play where there is time to think and process and ask and even take back things done erroneous ly, but in a tournament...  Sometimes those brain waves are already stressed.

Banning it outright also means that you are -always- showcasing THEIR GAME at THEIR COMPETITIONS, regardless of the level, from Store to Worlds...

... honestly the requirement to enforce it is probably a term of their license agreement with LFL/Disney.  Failing to do so is promoting unauthorized 3rd party products.

GW allows substitues and conversions for sure - but play at a GW store is GW models only...  Official tournaments had the same requirement - the most relaxed it ever got was still 50+% of the model must be GW components.

Very impossible to have those guidelines with Armada ?

Edited by Drasnighta

35 minutes ago, DScipio said:

the transports are more know to a lot of people than the gauntlet fighters itself.

In my opinion, it's not safe to assume that.

I, for one, have never heard of these transports until this very thread. I've never seen them in any games, comics, or read about them in any books. I don't think even the old "Vehicles guide" book showed them.

29 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

In my opinion, it's not safe to assume that.

I, for one, have never heard of these transports until this very thread. I've never seen them in any games, comics, or read about them in any books. I don't think even the old "Vehicles guide" book showed them.

I know OF them from TIE fighter (same with Gunboats) But Unlike the Gunboats, I’m not 100% on their shape... it’s been too long...

But Gauntlets, well, my Kiddo is a C1-10P fanboy, and he’s flown one on the show ?

Edited by Drasnighta

4 hours ago, Stasy said:

While I don't go past the Region tier of competition, I never mind if somebody has alternate models for some stuff. Most of the times it gives me something to spark up friendly conversation over while we play. 

But YMMV... There's always a (insert whatever word you'd like here) out there who's going to be against it. 

it annoyed me quite a bit in a tournament where I was sporting Y-Wings and my opponent forgot his shuttle and also used Y-Wings. It caused me to ignore that shuttle way more than intended.

1 hour ago, Sybreed said:

it annoyed me quite a bit in a tournament where I was sporting Y-Wings and my opponent forgot his shuttle and also used Y-Wings. It caused me to ignore that shuttle way more than intended.

I definitely understand your point of view. I just tend to view it as it never hurts to ask. It definitely matters to some people more than others, and I never want to create a negative play experience with something that can be easily corrected.

5 hours ago, Sybreed said:

totally understable.