Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vsolfronk

Mansions of Madness: The Video Game....

Recommended Posts

Looks to be too similar to the boardgame. I hope FFG interactive don't bring games to other platforms in a similar manner to what "wizards of the coast" are doing with magic, just porting the whole game over and nothing else (well graphics and some automation obviously).

I think they should embrace the possibilities of a virtual environment similarly to harthstone by creating situations which are nigh impossible to reproduce IRL with card and board, such as drawing three random cards from a specified pool/type of cards, and also by streamlining the experience...instead of having exact turn sequences, timing rules and other slow crawling behaviors which are only found in board games.

Or just make actual video games... Instead of board/card game ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StarBurn said:

Looks to be too similar to the boardgame. I hope FFG interactive don't bring games to other platforms in a similar manner to what "wizards of the coast" are doing with magic, just porting the whole game over and nothing else (well graphics and some automation obviously).

I think they should embrace the possibilities of a virtual environment similarly to harthstone by creating situations which are nigh impossible to reproduce IRL with card and board, such as drawing three random cards from a specified pool/type of cards, and also by streamlining the experience...instead of having exact turn sequences, timing rules and other slow crawling behaviors which are only found in board games.

Or just make actual video games... Instead of board/card game ports.

Digital versions of board games are pretty popular, and FFG is a branch of one of the largest board game companies out there... why wouldn't they focus on digital versions of their games?  There are plenty of big video game publishers out there who could make all the Cthulhu games they wanted.

Besides, the article gives us very little info , so you're making some big assumptions here.  We don't know if this will be separate scenarios, one long story, or a rogue-like.  The article gives no indications how closely it will resemble the game other than the pictures showing investigators standing in rooms...

Edited by KBlumhardt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Curious if the only investigators are going to be the ones specifically mentioned (Harvey, Jenny, Roland).

C'mon, Soak... you know better than that.  It's a digital app, so they'll start you with three and you'll have to either grind like crazy for a 10% chance to get 1 of 100 shards you need to unlock a new random character or they'll just charge you $9.99/investigator.  

I wish I was entirely kidding.  :(

Edited by KBlumhardt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No multiplayer :huh: will still get it though cant have enough Mansions of Madness.

And i hope for more physical exspansions and DLC for the app, waiting for Santum of Twilight now...excited :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

C'mon, Soak... you know better than that.  It's a digital app, so they'll start you with three and you'll have to either grind like crazy for a 10% chance to get 1 of 100 shards you need to unlock a new random character or they'll just charge you $9.99/investigator.  

I wish I was entirely kidding.  :(

There is also a strategic placement of an hourglass clicker over a 4th character's face. Looks like it could be Marie or Gloria's hat/headband? 

 

*shruggy shoulders*

 

I'm AM curious though... lol. I'm not familiar with the other apps from FFG but you've got a point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StarBurn said:

Looks to be too similar to the boardgame. I hope FFG interactive don't bring games to other platforms in a similar manner to what "wizards of the coast" are doing with magic, just porting the whole game over and nothing else (well graphics and some automation obviously).

I think they should embrace the possibilities of a virtual environment similarly to harthstone by creating situations which are nigh impossible to reproduce IRL with card and board, such as drawing three random cards from a specified pool/type of cards, and also by streamlining the experience...instead of having exact turn sequences, timing rules and other slow crawling behaviors which are only found in board games.

Or just make actual video games... Instead of board/card game ports.

I could be completely wrong and misreading this, but in PC games, the term adventure game brings to mind more of the point and click style of game, versus a boardgame version. I will have to check out the steam page and see if there is more details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does look more like an adventure style game than a board game, although with this board game, the two may play very similar to each other. It does look good though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hengst2404 said:

I could be completely wrong and misreading this, but in PC games, the term adventure game brings to mind more of the point and click style of game

Point'n'click is indeed one of prominent types of adventure games but certainly not the only one.

Is anyone else puzzled why this isn't developed by Fantasy Flight Interactive? If FFI isn't there to make digital games tied to FFG then why even create another digital department? Asmodee Digital could develop the digital LOTR card game as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if buying Mother's Embrace would unlock additional scenario in the regular Mansions of Madness (might be named "Mother's Embrace" as well).

Edited by tsuma534

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tsuma534 said:

Point'n'click is indeed one of prominent types of adventure games but certainly not the only one.

Is anyone else puzzled why this isn't developed by Fantasy Flight Interactive? If FFI isn't there to make digital games tied to FFG then why even create another digital department? Asmodee Digital could develop the digital LOTR card game as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if buying Mother's Embrace would unlock additional scenario in the regular Mansions of Madness (might be named "Mother's Embrace" as well).

I haven't really explored FFG's digital side so I could be wrong, but I'm guessing it's because it's a bit more technologically complicated to program a video game video game than a board game video game. 

This is one of the reasons why I don't expect it to be some kind of digital Mansions copy. I think the theme is going to be the same, but the mechanics etc are going to possibly be different. The biggest reason, however, is that I think this is likely going to involve extensive model animation. I'm not sure that FFG has a character or creature animator on board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I haven't really explored FFG's digital side so I could be wrong, but I'm guessing it's because it's a bit more technologically complicated to program a video game video game than a board game video game. (...) The biggest reason, however, is that I think this is likely going to involve extensive model animation. I'm not sure that FFG has a character or creature animator on board. 

It all depends on who was assigned to Fantasy Flight Interactive. It's all Asmodee after all.
Edit: Wow, three "all"'s in one line.

Edited by tsuma534

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...