Roller of blanks

Thematic Rouge One list

I really liked the U-Wing, and I've been trying to make it work ever since it came out, so I made this list to try out some new ideas;

"Attack the shield gate!"

Dutch Vander (yes he was in rouge one)

TLT (6)

R3-A2 (2)

Vectored Thrusters (2)

Cassian Andor

Sensor Jammer (4)

R2-D2 (4)

Inspiring Recruit (1)

Opportunist (4)

Pivot Wing (0)

Tarn Mison 

M9-G8 (3)

Intergrated Astromech (0)

Concerns: Is the PS too low? Does Dutch need VT? If not, what should I replace it with? Is Tarn a good blocker, Or should he stay with the others? 

Not to put a damper on your spirits, but the Uwing sucks

Not telling to abandon it, just saying all efforts to make it work will result in it being suboptimal at best. So, adjust expectations accordingly

At least, until the Saw's Renegades expansion comes out 

To help out, though, don't put too many points on the U. It crashes and burns in two rounds easily no matter what upgrades you saddle it with.

Cassian really isn't helping the list out much here. A more general purpose U would be Heff, whichis ps 3 like Tarn for added on convienince

Heff pairs really well with Cassian and Jyn crew. Cassian let's you guess manuevers that would allow opponents to escape bumping and then change your dial to bump them. Jyn let's you support your squad or prepare to counteract concetrated fire

You might want to replace Dutch with another pilot though, as he's very low damage and kind of redundant with Tarn. Could replace him with a unique xwing for a better experience overall. Or you could run Heff with 2 flight assist rookies and a TLT gold squadron

Or Heff, Tarn, Rookie, Gold (which I personally prefer because Tarn is LEAGUES beyond a rookie pilot)

Still, the Flight assist rookie is extra good here because if you guess wrong with Cass crew you could use FA to boost/roll into a block 

(forgot Collision Detector on Heff, or you could proxy the system spoiled in Saw's)

Rookie Pilot — X-Wing 21
Flight-Assist Astromech 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 22

Gold Squadron Pilot — Y-Wing 18
Twin Laser Turret 6
Ship Total: 24

Tarn Mison — X-Wing 23
M9-G8 3
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 26

Heff Tobber — U-Wing 24
Jyn Erso 2
Cassian Andor 2
Pivot Wing 0
Ship Total: 28
Edited by ficklegreendice

Actually Tarn wasn't in Rogue One... he's supposed to be much younger, he is supposed to have joined the rebellion sometimes before the hoth battle.

But yes, Vander and Dreis were there. And so is supposed to have been in there any U wing pilot we have so far.

Alas, using Vander as a stressbot is, in my opinion, a waste of points. A GSP can do it for much less.

This would be very thematic. Garven and Vander abilities were meant to combo since the beginning of x wing, so why not use them both?

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!235:36,136,21,167:47:25:;7:135,126,136,2:-1:25:;1:136,253:-1:20:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Edited by AlCranio

4 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Not to put a damper on your spirits, but the Uwing sucks

Not telling to abandon it, just saying all efforts to make it work will result in it being suboptimal at best. So, adjust expectations accordingly

At least, until the Saw's Renegades expansion comes out 

To help out, though, don't put too many points on the U. It crashes and burns in two rounds easily no matter what upgrades you saddle it with.

Cassian really isn't helping the list out much here. A more general purpose U would be Heff, whichis ps 3 like Tarn for added on convienince

Heff pairs really well with Cassian and Jyn crew. Cassian let's you guess manuevers that would allow opponents to escape bumping and then change your dial to bump them. Jyn let's you support your squad or prepare to counteract concetrated fire

You might want to replace Dutch with another pilot though, as he's very low damage and kind of redundant with Tarn. Could replace him with a unique xwing for a better experience overall. Or you could run Heff with 2 flight assist rookies and a TLT gold squadron

Or Heff, Tarn, Rookie, Gold (which I personally prefer because Tarn is LEAGUES beyond a rookie pilot)

Still, the Flight assist rookie is extra good here because if you guess wrong with Cass crew you could use FA to boost/roll into a block 

(forgot Collision Detector on Heff, or you could proxy the system spoiled in Saw's)

Rookie Pilot — X-Wing 21
Flight-Assist Astromech 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 22

Gold Squadron Pilot — Y-Wing 18
Twin Laser Turret 6
Ship Total: 24

Tarn Mison — X-Wing 23
M9-G8 3
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 26

Heff Tobber — U-Wing 24
Jyn Erso 2
Cassian Andor 2
Pivot Wing 0
Ship Total: 28

I've been messing around with this list, and I want to give heff either Anti-pursuit lasers, or ion projector.

What do you think?

oh those would be nice

going to have to drop either Tarn or the TLT Y into a rookie pilot, though, and those two work really well together

have to say Tarn + Y are more reliable than putting a block-mod on Heff simply because it's easier to throw dice than to block (said another way, you'll be throwing dice far more than you'll be blocking)

a block mod is also useless if you don't block (who'd'a thunk?) while Cassian, Jyn, and the U's 3-die primary can contribute even when Heff isn't blocking. Overall, think you're better with rookie + Tarn + Y over two rookies + tarn/Y

unless you just like the sight of 3 Xs and U, which does seem pretty badass now that I think about it

I enjoyed flying Heff with Jyn and Jan crew. Flew him with ?Biggs (pre-nerf) and two TLT hawks. I guess Tarn would make a good replacement, haven’t really considered it. 

I don’t agree that the U-wing sucks, I think it’s just waiting for the right crew to come out. I’ve seen some novel builds, utilising Sabine Or Boshek (or both!) work well with Miranda or the Ghost. I wish you luck with it! Although, I really have to point out that it’s Rogue 

I'm afraid it's not a matter of crew for the simple fact that other double-crew ships exist and are all better in most every regard than the U

The Auzzie especially just completely blows the U out of the water in every respect outside of blocking (U is a large base). The reinforce action and 180 arc simply makes it a vastly superior combat craft, and then it can also carry the same two crew as the U could

The only things the U has over it are the fact that Disney rendered it with a much higher budget, and that it is in general a real beautiful ship (while the auzzie is...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh)

oh! and the wings move. that's pretty awesome

otherwise, we're waiting for Saw's Renegades to see if it'll be any good in a game mechanics context. Once that hits, whatever list Roller of Blanks settles on is going to become incredible

swx74_spread.png

It has occurred to me that the U-Wing is essentially the same thing as the G1-A Misthunter, except for base size.  Both are ships that I want to love, and have some interesting pilots and upgrade combos, and both ships just...die.

That said, they are both just fine for casual games.  I've tried a couple of crazy jank builds on Cassian, which while fun were just generally over-costed for what they achieved.  I rather like the idea of a more or less fully thematic list of a BSP, a Rookie X, and a Y-Wing or two.   I'll have to look into how to make that work when I have access to my regular squadbuilder.  For your list.... 

Tarn is solid, no matter which way you use him.  Of course, it's better to shoot than not, so.  But if you plan on using him as a blocker, it's probably better to have him flying with the others, to make those blocks count, right?  And given Dutch's pilot ability, maybe run Bodhi instead of Cassian, and throw some torpedoes out there.  Perhaps give Dutch R2-D6 and VI to give him a slightly better chance of getting useful target locks?  There has to be some way to exploit the synergy of Tarn, M9-G8, Bodhi, and Dutch, right?

you could join the Striker Squad led by @Magnus Grendel but in actual list advice, ever try EI Expert handling, Inspiring Recruit, Kyle Katarn and FCS Cassian, there is some serious jank there. Also R2D2 crew isn't that great, I would take 3po instead as it will always guarantee an evade no matter the roll if you guess "0" and remain action independent

Why would you? They never change arcd on bases even when there's good reason to (resistance falcon mobile arc, such avwssted opportunity)

Anyway, the U doesn't have the means to justify a 180 arc and all it'd do is continue the theme of "strictly worse than the Auzzie"

27 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Why would you? They never change arcd on bases even when there's good reason to (resistance falcon mobile arc, such avwssted opportunity)

Anyway, the U doesn't have the means to justify a 180 arc and all it'd do is continue the theme of "strictly worse than the Auzzie"

I realize this but sometimes a man wants what a man wants.