Sign in to follow this  
Raahk

POD-expansions still worth picking up?

Hey,

are "The Course of Rougarou" and "Carnevale of Horror" still worth picking up if I were able to get my hands on a copy each?

What are your opinions?

They don`t give player cards, but They offer something to play. So Yes, in my opinion. It depends on what you have and what you want to have. If you need new player cards, buy normal expansions, but if you don’t these offer good gameplay!

1 hour ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

They don`t give player cards, but They offer something to play. 

Not entiiiiiirely true... Carnivale has a set of four player cards you can obtain, and Rougario has a couple player cards as well (although you don't necessarily want them).  But yeah, they aren't roughly half-and-half like the other scenarios (which I'm sure is what you meant).

That said... yeah, they're both pretty fun scenarios, and we typically slot them in somewhere in our longer campaigns.  Pick 'em up for sure!

Edited by KBlumhardt

5 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

Not entiiiiiirely true... Carnivale has a set of four player cards you can obtain, and Rougario has a couple player cards as well (although you don't necessarily want them).  But yeah, they aren't roughly half-and-half like the other scenarios (which I'm sure is what you meant).

That said... yeah, they're both pretty fun scenarios, and we typically slot them in somewhere in our longer campaigns.  Pick 'em up for sure!

By strict definition those aren't "player cards" - they don't have levels and can't be bought with XP, the only way to obtain them is by playing through the scenario. Technically they are known as "story assets". I know, this is nitpicking to a degree, but it is a vital distinction in gameplay. Neither scenario has any player cards in that sense.

On 4/18/2018 at 5:15 AM, Raahk said:

I guess these are going to be 2 expensive months with 3 POD-releases, a deluxe expansion and return to the night of the zealot ...

3 POD releases? I thought it was just Labyrinths. Or are you referring to needing three copies for the full potential experience?

2 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

3 POD releases? I thought it was just Labyrinths. Or are you referring to needing three copies for the full potential experience?

Actually i am referring to both "old" PODs as they are supposedly released in my language in a few weeks (plus Labyrinths). Thats why i started this thread in the first place: to figure out if they're worth their money

Yes, they are cool. They extend a campaign and give some new options. Generally I play on expert so we whip out the Standalones when we hit a power spike (Like Lightning gun with Extra ammo or Will to Survive) and try to net the extra XP.

Watch out for Venice tho, it can mess you up.

So there is actually a strategy to the timing when its best to enter a standalone scenario?!

I tried the night of the zealot-campaign a few times to "farm" xp for subsequent campaigns but i failed horribly every single time(3 times this weekend; normal difficulty). So there is that.

Hopefully the standalones are a bit easier :lol:

I view it more as a thematic choice than a strategic one. 

That being said, the standalones are easier early in the campaign than latter.  Plus any bonus cards you earn are better if you earn them earlier (if a card is worth having, its worth it having earlier in a campaign).  Plus any xp you earn is worth more the earlier you earn it.

Farming up XP on night of the zealot doesn't really work all that well, even with the best ending but go for it.

Extra adventures don't grant a lot of XP as reward and require you to spend XP to even play. That said, you may get more out of them with of delve too deep, charon's obol and other cards thay may come.