centralx

Tile Organization

Hi All,

Just curious what most folks are doing to organize their tiles. I currently have everything separated in plastic bags but was wondering if people have figured out a better system?

As these new expansions keep coming out tile organization is certainly key and I would like to figure something out a little better than plastic bags everywhere.

For now I just stack them in the game box. During a game we stand them upright in the box and flip through them to search for a tile.

But with Descent we use ring binders with the tiles in numbered sheet protectors. A few more expansions and we will do the same with MoM, with a printed list of the tiles (by name) and where they go.

I keep mine in the box stacked as best as possible to keep them together in their expansion for unloading them onto the table.

Unlike Imperial Assault (and from my understanding, it's the same for Descent), I had to get various ultrapro pages of differing pocket size to keep the tiles in their number order as the maps in IA are like a jigsaw puzzle.

Mansions of Madness tiles are so much easier to deal with. I can read from the app "Library - Tentacle" and the player next to the tiles piles can search through the tentacle pile for the particular tile. I stack them by expansion and size (see picture below). If there's enough time I even alphabetised the indoor side (as best as possible) to make the search easier. But when they are in expansion piles it really is a quick process.  

30727509_1635360893250970_10423326086783

I stack them in the box* -- first the huge pieces (loose, since there's only a few), then all of the large (square) pieces collected by expansion and collated with a rubber band, then all of the small (rectangular) pieces collected the same way. Then when we're playing, one of us handles the app and another handles tiles; the former will say, "I need the dining room -- large, tentacle; it's got an attached kitchen and big dining table," which gives the latter all of the info needed to quickly pick up the right pile and then locate the tile in question.

We don't sort the tiles further than that, because that seemed like more trouble than it was worth. Organizing them by size and expansion seems to do the job fine.

* I made a custom foamcore organizer. I'm about to revamp it once I get SOT, at which point I'll post full pics.

Edited by pklevine