Sign in to follow this  
OoALEJOoO

X-Wing swarm vs TIE Interceptor/Fighter swarm?

If you were to play these two squadrons against each other (3'x3' playmat, no asteroids), which one do you think is most likely to win and why?

Other than Flight-Assist Astromech, most content is from the early waves.

pic4086893.png

pic4086892.png

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

Sometimes I wonder if upping the limit to 150 points (keep the limit of no more than 8 of the same small ship, or 4 of the same large ship or upgrade cards) would alleviate a lot of the meta problems we are having.

almost every game ive played has been 150 points. it puts emphasis on the squad over an ace, but ordinance becomes even stupider.

Guys, I'm interested in your thoughts about the squadrons in topic (not again an endless discussion about the meta, we have tons of threads on that).

The reason I'm asking about these particular squadrons is because I'm testing the new Tactical Droid A.I.

I'm using several pair of squadrons (this being one of them) and would like to judge from players which side should be more likely to win.

I would use this to gauge how competent the A.I. really is and tweak if needed.

Edited by OoALEJOoO

Autothrusters are far better than stealth devices on the interceptors. Even better is both. PTL is also very good, and worth dropping the royal guards down to sabers to get. 5 alphas with autothrusters are good enough to win 'real' games occasionally.

The big problem with them is they are reliant on their dice. If you are trying to evaluate an AI, you need to account for the randomness of the dice - either by re-using a set of dice rolls, or taking average rolls. Or come up with something better than these!

I got spanked at System Open by T65 Rookies x4 and a Z95. I was flying a top meta list, but the raw fire power just blasted me to dust.

So my money would be on the X-Wings; the RAW firepower is great and if you can spend time on target you laughing.

15 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Sometimes I wonder if upping the limit to 150 points (keep the limit of no more than 8 of the same small ship, or 4 of the same large ship or upgrade cards) would alleviate a lot of the meta problems we are having.

Who are you and what did you do with the real Marinealver?

7 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

X-Wings are far far stronger.  You've given the X-Wings some of the strongest and most reliable upgrades in the game and the TIEs have been given garbage.

This is what I thought when designing the squads, that the X-Wings will obliterate the Imperials, but the results are quite interesting (and different).

The squadrons in question were used to test the Tactical Droid A.I. ---> https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/161995/tactical-droid-i-x-wing

During the weekend, I played the Rebels and the A.I. played the Imperials. The A.I. beat me. Before you say I suck :P, I setup the game in the following way:

The A.I. imperials were formed side-by-side (one ship apart) on the middle of its starting area. My X-Wings also formed side-by-side (one ship apart) on the middle of my side. This was intentionally to keep everything equal since it was for A.I. testing purposes.

The board was 3x3' and no asteroids (to keep it simple, did not want to test A.I. asteroid avoidance just yet).

The game started, a heavy firefight ensued, ships got destroyed here and there. At the end I was down to the last ship (Wes Janson, no torpedoes left, but full health) against a Royal Guard Pilot (full health) and an Academy Pilot (2 Hull Left). I was able to fly good enough to kill off the Academy Pilot and then risked attacking the Royal Guard head-to-head at range 1, my X-Wing having both a target-lock and focus. I landed two hits on the Royal Guard, when the A.I. fired (I had no shields and 3 hull) it landed 1 hit + 1 critical. The critical was a direct hit and so I was dead.

I understand this is only one game played (one sample) and also that I'm not a top player. More samples would be needed to draw better conclusions. However, would like to know opinions about, considering how the game was setup with these particular squadrons, how tough it would be to beat the imperials. Maybe I do suck as a player :o which could be a good thing depending on how you look a it (the A.I. is a great challenge!) Better yet, if you could download the A.I. and help me test it and share your experiences would be great!

I also plan to test two A.I.'s against each other, using these same squadrons and see the results.

7 hours ago, Arschbombe said:

Who are you and what did you do with the real Marinealver?

To clarify my position on point increase has always been it is an inevitability but don't rush it.  In Wave 4 through 8, the 100 point limit was plenty for the ships we had and the pilot/upgrade combinations. 

Now with all the pen & ink erratas, power and mechanics creep with each wave adding some sort of new token and everything else that has happened I am starting to think that all this creep might have to include some point creep as well just to maintain the balance.

Edited by Marinealver