Sign in to follow this  
Captain Weather

Master of the Force - Star Wars: Legion Video Battle Reports

50 minutes ago, Matt Antilles said:

I really enjoy your videos thanks guys! Luke did you feel like you would have preferred to have more Impact weapons in your fleet? Only the T47 and Luke could really deal with the ATST.

Thanks Matt! 

To answer your question I’m not entirely sure. I definitely expected the T-47 to do more against the AT-ST then what it did (though it was getting the better of it by the end). That initial volley doing nothing really made me go ‘ooh boy’. 

So on the one hand, I definitely felt as though I didn’t really have a great answer to the AT-ST. Really I largely ignored it for the most part and offered up my AT-RTs as sacrificial lambs. 

While it worked out this time, ignoring such a damaging unit is not a great strategy in the grand scheme of things. I think Courtney would have seen a far better ROI had he targeted my troopers with it instead, and it could have very easily tipped the battle. 

On the other hand though, the impact weapons currently available to the Rebels outside of the T-47 are fairly lacklustre. I found the Ion Trooper to be underwhelming for its points. It’s natural prey (AT-STs) outranges it and the other vehicles are more susceptible to weight of fire. In a similar vein the AT-RT laser cannon is really hurt by its low dice pool (which is punished further by Speeder units). 

The one option I haven’t tried, which I think warrants some consideration would be swapping my concussion grenades for impact grenades on 1 or 2 of the Trooper units. 

22 minutes ago, beefcake4000 said:

Love your stuff guys, glad to see the transition, 

Just watching now, question for you Captain, why not go for key positions when you're blue player? 

My thinking was that I wanted to spread the battlefield as wide as possible. I figured that if I could do that, Courtney would naturally be likely to put his bikes on his flanks and concentrate Vader and his AT-ST in the centre. This would allow me to hopefully collapse his flanks, and that way ignore the centre if the battle there started to turn against me, relying on scoring the flanks on Turns 2 and 4 to help carry the day. 

I felt that if I passed, Courtney would naturally kill Rapid Reinforcements as it was a real detriment to him. This would give me the scenario I most wanted to play out. If I knocked it down to Key Positions I was worried he might be tempted to shift the deployment to the Long March which would allow his AT-ST and Vader to threaten my entire army. Basically, not being able to flank was of a way bigger detriment to me than it was to Courtney so I wanted to make him more likely to leave that in play. 

Thanks for sharing the video-- I've appreciated how you guys present your battles in a way that's easy to follow and understand what's going on.

One thing rule thing I'd point out-- after Vader was defeated, I noticed that you immediately promoted the Stormies to Commander (and didn't active them until the Commander token was drawn). Promoting happens during the end phase [page 20 of RRG]. (Otherwise, it's entirely possible that if you promote a unit after the commander token has been used, that particular unit wouldn't be activated). A rule that didn't affect anything in your game, but to be aware of for future matches.

Hey thanks for pointing that out! We actually just had someone else say the same thing on the video comments (some eerie timing there). 

I feel we (I say both referring to the channel and the community at large) are definitely still picking up all of the rules for the game so it’s a really helpful way to make less mistakes in future. 

On 14/04/2018 at 7:41 PM, Captain Weather said:

Thanks! 

Yeah it was too fun a game to miss. Nick was incredibly keen from the start and then Ken and I fell for it once we got to see the models and the define the battlefield process.

I'm glad everyone was in the game. I'm waiting for the game to arrive here in Brazil. Pretty anxious.

Nick played those speeder bikes really well as flanking units. Those Rebel Troopers were in a rough spot when they needed to put cover between them and the AT-ST but had bikes coming up on their exposed flanks. Having multiple threats that your opponent can't have cover from all at the same time seems brutally effective.

2 hours ago, Matt Antilles said:

Nick played those speeder bikes really well as flanking units. Those Rebel Troopers were in a rough spot when they needed to put cover between them and the AT-ST but had bikes coming up on their exposed flanks. Having multiple threats that your opponent can't have cover from all at the same time seems brutally effective.

100% agree. I really was relying on the Speeder getting some damage in onto the left edge group. In my head I was going to aim, fire, and dice averages coming into play probably knock off one of them. 

That didn’t happen which allowed that unit in particular to butcher three of my Trooper squads across the course of the game. 

In hindsight on the first turn I should have double moved the troopers behind the rock wall up behind the building on the left. Because I didn’t it left them stuck with no ability to get to a new cover position without sitting out in the open. That was why I used them to take shots at Vader - the dice just weren’t willing to cooperate.