So after doom and gloom handwavium on the Imperial Assault forum turns out they're getting another expansion for their traditional style of play. What does this mean for Descent? 

tumblr_lxbd0ghw5G1qlswv0o1_500.jpg

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately ... absolutely NOTHING.

It is funny to be a participant in various Star Wars forums ... take X-Wing for example ... they are bemoaning the fact that they haven't had an FAQ update in like 3-4 weeks. :D:P;)  The X-Wing's first page of their forum has 3-5 threads about the lack of a recent (within the past month) FAQ.  This is what I posted in one of them:

I am constantly amazed and fascinated by the number of posts bemoaning the fact
                             that a new FAQ has not come out in ... whatever amount of time.

Try playing some of FFG's other games ... even some that do very well financially ...
                             such as D2e ... the last FAQ update was 2.25 years ago. It has been so long that 3 of us
                             regular participants created our own.

FFG's FAQ for D2e is 11 pages long.

The community's CRRG (our FAQ) effort is 92 pages long.

The difference is that our's is comprehensive, includes all of the expansions, all of FFG's
                             own official rulings (which do NOT show up in their version), etc.

Be happy with the fact that FFG loves Star Wars ... be very thankful for the attention they
                             do pay the game and for what you do have.

EDIT: I truly believe that they ONLY thing D2e MAY see is digital content.  I do not think we will ever see any more physical content.

Edited by any2cards

If we must do spiritism to know what's coming for Descent... this does mean only one thing from my point of view :
Descent is dead (at least for FFG ! ) !

:wacko:

I relly gave up on descent. Best to do is use all the stuff (minis, tiles, tokens) on my own game. I just miss desertic / artic tiles, it would be very useful :)

As far as Descent 2nd Edition goes, and as others have said, it seems almost certain that we won't ever be getting another physical expansion.  The only thing we 'know' is that FFG have 'stuff' in store for Descent some time in the future. I strongly suspect that this means they're working on the 3rd Edition.

They certainly haven't ditched the whole Terrinoth Universe that's for sure: they've released new products for it in the last year and have just gone to the trouble of rebranding it from 'Runebound' to 'Terrinoth'. And while I suspect Terrinoth products don't bring in anywhere near as much money as their Star Wars counterparts it still seems that FFG think it's worth supporting as a games line. They also admitted at the time they announced the nebulous 'stuff' for Descent that it's historically one of their best selling titles (or words to that effect), so that's something in it's favour. If they're supporting Terrinoth as a brand it only seems logical that they will release something else Descent-like in the future.

While I like Imperial Assault I can't really get excited about a new expansion for it, mainly because I much prefer Descent and I'd much rather have something else for that, which is why I'd welcome a 3rd Edition if that's what's coming. At the end of the day though the only people who know for sure are the guys and gals at FFG and they're notorious for keeping their cards very close to their chests. 

We'll all find out some time, just perhaps not as quickly as we'd hope.

Posted (edited)

This cruel world... I just saw the box cover of TctR on the news page and thought there might be some Descent news (perhaps an app campaign), but then I realized it's for Genesys. FFG that was a cheap shot. And it hurt :(

Edited by DerDelphi

56 minutes ago, DerDelphi said:

This cruel world... I just saw the box cover of TctR on the news page and thought there might be some Descent news (perhaps and app campaign), but then I realized it's for Genesys. FFG that was a cheap shot. And it hurt :(

Oh, that was cheap. 😭

But it is really boss artwork, though. The cover art is amazing once you get past the base game and first two expansions.

On 14/04/2018 at 10:39 PM, Helvwin said:

The only thing we 'know' is that FFG have 'stuff' in store for Descent some time in the future. 

Wow, do we know this?  I thought the last announcement was before the trials dlc thus the trials may have been it. Did I miss another announcement?  Hope so. 

6 minutes ago, alexbobspoons said:

Wow, do we know this?  I thought the last announcement was before the trials dlc thus the trials may have been it. Did I miss another announcement?  Hope so. 

Yes, they have been questioned at an event since frostgate. They promised new stuff. I guess this is how we have to get news about descent from now on....

6 hours ago, alexbobspoons said:

At GenCon50, they said something is coming and reiterated that Decent was important to them.  At GAMA, they said pretty much the same.  I assume they have not forgotten about Decent but they are not making it a big priority either at this point.

Ofcourse they're going to say 'something is coming', what would you think what will happen if they say 'Descent is done, only DLC's for RtL from now on'. This will be a killing blow for the sales of Descent. I have given up hope for Descent physical content. Maybe a Descent 3 in the future, but no way I'll purchase that! Got my collection of Descent 2 almost complete and I would feel ripped off if they would come with a new edition, but hey they are a company that wants to make money and I don't blame them!

I'll complete this second edition collection of mine and finish painting them, make a nice storage chest to have it all in one place and enjoy this version of Descent for many years ^^.

"... they are a company that wants to make money ..." Are they really? Completely abandoning a "successful" (their claim) product line for almost 3 years now? I don't know if this is a winning strategy, but the company is not mine and I saved a lot of money meanwhile :-)

On 4/14/2018 at 10:18 PM, leewroy said:

I relly gave up on descent. Best to do is use all the stuff (minis, tiles, tokens) on my own game. I just miss desertic / artic tiles, it would be very useful :)

People keep knocking my probably misplaced optimism but there IS desert and (fire) and ice in the Genesys RPG Terrinoth sourcebook which COULD be new desert setting-wise (Unless it's from another Terrinoth game and my bubble bursts yet again). Likewise some new things possibly like a species Singhara (Lion-like and posssibly new locale Zanaga and - also new??? beings -  assassin/djinn/scorpions (which interestingly are a swarm, perhaps similar to the raven flock or rat swarm in current Descent functionally if they did make it into Descent?)/ thieves guild enemies/ carnivorous flora/ makhim (four-armed fighters) ). This all seems completely new but I may have missed it in a Terrinoth game I don't have...

There is also in this     just released    book some references to Sea of Blood D1e content (pirate, siren and a few more)....

It also expands on the catfolk who we've only seen a little of in Descent.

Me still thinks FFG are holding something back and we shouldn't give up on new Descent content just yet, I genuinely believe some of this wasn't just developed thematically for the RPG- I think FFG are at least considering possibilities for future RWM/Descent/etc - even if it may not see the light of day I think FFG have been thinking what COULD come next whilst working on the book. Which it should, if you're listening FFG. This stuff is too good to not develop further and make use of!

Seriously if FFG don't use some of the potential that's in Realms of Terrinoth for games like Descent and RWM they are missing a massive opportunity as it would work really well with those games and RoT frustratingly hints at it so if that's unintentional teasing rather than very planned teasing (this possibly new stuff is last in the book quite just-may-be-cause-for-optimism-enticingly) that's a big 'ouch'. I guess there is that horrible prospect it was developed for one of the games then abandoned but recycled for the book and it's not there as a teaser to get us Descent fans all excited, or it's stuff planned for RWM or another game - I've not got Legacy of Dragonholt yet so it could even be in that - but not Descent. But it does follow the ice world stuff which follows the sea of blood stuff - seas, ice then desert, two things people here have been asking for, and that is there a SOB2 tease- could it be a subtle tease after all, SOB2 thus in the order RoT finishes infuriating intentional or unintentional hints at an 'at sea'/islands/other sailed-to worlds setting- it's worth nothing that the Desert land lore references finding a ship to sail there- a pirate ship with some links back to SOB lore!, expanded ice setting (there's a tiny bit of this in current D2e and that means tiny) and new desert setting???, again with FFG under-utilising their own IP's and missing opportunities for new content staring the rest of us in the face for ages in the past (aside from the missing 'at sea' bit in a game with dragons and where ships could be other transports, after all they haven't even considered the possibility of flying to other places yet or places that are in the air but then that could just be the effect of thinking about this for the adventure I'm working on!),

who knows? :)

I guess we can be pleased some missing bits of D1e and our wishlist for D2e made it into RoT at least! And RoT is a lovely lovely book enjoyable even if you don't play Descent or RPG similar fantasy with Genesys it is still a lovely lovely enjoyable book. And I'm sure (please don't be another burst bubble) some of it is new so: Maybe, just maybe.....

And if not, that kind of stuffs coming in my adventure, so if FFG don't do it we'll just have to find proxies and alternatives.

Addendum/correction: it actually ends on a jungle setting which may also be new and which is home of the lion people. So there's that too after the desert bit.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
Addendum/correction