Ninotik

Fenn Nym Thane

Hey pilots from all acroos the galaxy? what do you think about this build? is it competitive? How can improve it?

Fenn Rau(26) [Fenn Rau(20), R2 Astromech(1), Veteran Instincts(1), Hotshot Copilot(4), Phantom II(0)]

Captain Nym(41) [Captain Nym(30), Autoblaster Turret(2), "Genius"(0), Extra Munitions(2), Guidance Chips(0), Collision Detector(0), A Score To Settle(0), Bomblet Generator(3), Havoc(0), Harpoon Missiles(4)]

Thane Kyrell(33) [Thane Kyrell(26), Sabine Wren(2), Alliance Overhaul(0), Vectored Thrusters(2), M9-G8(3)]

Thx for the feedback

Seems mostly fine, and probably worth putting it on a table to see how it feels.

Fenn is classic.  I know a lot of folks like Flight Assist Astromech, and I know a lot also like R3-A2, to target ships with Expertise.  However, R2 is also fine.  They're all reasonable options.

I don't really like A Score to Settle.  I feel that Nym has low enough agility that the drawback will be felt, and it doesn't really combine well with Autoblaster (since you need hits and not crits for the autoblaster effect to work best).  I'd feel better about it with TLT, but there aren't really points for that.  Even with TLT, though, I might rather just take Trick Shot for a zero-cost Elite upgrade.  If I'm looking to free up points in the list, I'd consider Extra Munitions for the first cut, actually.  You'll lose the ability to cheat out a classic Genius after-move drop, and you'll only have one Harpoon, but it's kind of a tossup whether Nym has two good Harpoon shots.  It's not that EM is bad, it's just that everything else seems more essential to the nature of the build.

Thane has potential.  He'll either draw fire, or else hit hard with free actions.  I also really love M9-G8 with Fenn Rau: negative-rerolls combined with anti-focus abilities work together so well.  Part of me wonders if a bomb (Seismic Charges or Ion Bomb, probably) on the ARC would be worthwhile.  Braylen is also worth considering.  Dropping to Braylen, and also dropping Vectored Thrusters (since they're wicked good on Thane, particularly with Fenn's coordinate, but only so-so on Braylen), could free up 3 points.  That could be a bomb and a spare point (VI on Nym?  R3-A2 on Fenn? A bid?).

One last thing: can't equip Phantom II without a Ghost, and then you need to start docked.  The rules around that are a minor nerf to fun, but still.

I think Nym would be better served by dropping Extra Munitions so he can take a better EPT, and change Chips to LRS so he can get more than one use out of his modification. 

I can't get behind Thane. There's almost certainly something else better every time. I'll admit this is one of the less revolting Thane applications I've seen. There are better Sabine carriers. There are better M9-G8 carriers. Thane does both, not optimally, but in this list that might be fine. 

Edited by jmswood

I like it. I agree with jms about Thane here though i do love Thane.  I had a Biggs list with Thane that did pretty well b4 Biggs nerf including a 6th place sc finish. 

Anyway i think Thane will be useful but i don't know if i like him as a sabine carrier.   I like having an action crew on him.   **** even expose works because if they don't shoot Thane you're safe to use it and just makes him stronger.  Im not saying use expose, but jyn or someone else is nice

Finally i went to a 3 games tournament last saturday and i did 2-1. I took trick shot on Nym and it worked so good with harpoons and also the autoblaster turret + collision detector.

I lost the last round beause i couldn't protect thane and i flied so bad! Fenn + M9G8 is a hard pain :)

I have to improve my bombs away skills or i have to fly nym without it and turn to TLT. Is it a crime? 4 red dice x2 (TLT shots + trick) seems so nasty!

I'm a massive fan of A Score To Settle, it's my favourite upgrade card in the game.  But not on Nym.

I would drop the VI on Fenn down to Adaptability and buy a point to put VI on Nym, so they're both PS10.  Then I'd be looking really hard to scrape a point from somewhere to add Trajectory Simulator to Nym - it's basically the only thing missing from the Nym that I fly.

M9-G8 might be something we can tune down to a cheaper astromech.  Maybe R2-D6 with a EPT?  TBH I'd be tempted to give him Plasma Torps and Chips to support your initial strike with a mid-combat target lock.

pbow5Pm.png

That's the Nym I'm flying, just the wingmen are different.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

Oh! I forgot to mention this:

Putting A Score to Settle in a list with Fenn Rau seems like a mistake.  If you're investing in Fenn to prevent your opponent from using Focus tokens, giving them back focus modification with A Debt to Pay is kind of dubious.

What about ditching those missile to make people better?

Thane (WE, M9-G8, Title)

Fenn (VI, R3-A2, optional 1 point crew or bid)

Nym (Expertise, TLT, Bomblets, LRS, Havoc, TrajSim, Genius)

Thane locks Nym and and enemy - Nym gets reroll and expertise on both TLT shots, the enemy has to deal with negative rerolls, and either Fenn's ability (if he has tokens) or the stressbot (if he has Expertise). Bomblets are just a fun little accessory. Nifty thing about Thane is that while he can keep one lock on Nym, with his ability, he should be able to lock an enemy and focus every turn - the lock first enforces a negative reroll on the enemy, then gives Thane a Focused/TLed attack.